Strawberries making a splash

jeanthemean

Apr 16, 2008
I know capturing fruits dunking into water is a category/genre that has been shot to death. But since recently, I have been feeling the need to play with flash, decided to have a go at this too. It was loads of fun but I ended up with a puddle of water in my room (which was the least fun part!) Haha thanks for viewing and enjoy!

1) Triplets
5433335286_684ddf115d_z.jpg

2) Strawberry One
5433909294_b0ea59feb9_z.jpg

3) Strawberry Two
5433298721_3806e90488_z.jpg

4) Strawberry Three
5433299651_cedf5fab9c_z.jpg

nice. i tried it before and surely know how hard it is to capture a good splash. I like how the redness of the strawberry is creating a contrast with the black background.

question, where did you place your flash? how many lights did you use? :D

nice. i tried it before and surely know how hard it is to capture a good splash. I like how the redness of the strawberry is creating a contrast with the black background.

question, where did you place your flash? how many lights did you use? :D

Glad the colours worked for you onioncube!

I ventured with only 1 YN468 flash bare on the camera left and slightly above the glass at 1/16 power. On the cam right, I propped up a handmade reflector from cardboard wrapped with aluminium foil to just throw in some light on the right side. Haha, I dont even have a proper back drop, my old black shirt came into handy ;)

You have a good collection of photos on your flickr, cheers!

nice.. I also want to try this shot but haven't got that chance to do so... did you take a pic of your setup? if yes, kindly post it up too :)

Btw, in #1, are those actually 3 glasses or just 3 images stitched together? Coz I imagine how difficult it is to release the 3 strawberries at once and achieve a good splash :)

nice.. I also want to try this shot but haven't got that chance to do so... did you take a pic of your setup? if yes, kindly post it up too :)

Btw, in #1, are those actually 3 glasses or just 3 images stitched together? Coz I imagine how difficult it is to release the 3 strawberries at once and achieve a good splash :)

Oops, I'm sorry I forgot to take a setup picture! I taped my black tee onto the wall for my backdrop. Yn 468 flash on camera left and handmade reflector on cam right. Trigger the shutter using phottix cleon wirelessly as I drop the strawberry into the glass.

Haha #1 is a stitch of my 3 favourite splashes for this shoot. That's all!

What kind of shutter trigger did you use? Or you fired it manually by hand?

Oh I triggered my shutter using a Phottix Cleon remote. It's difficult to trigger manually using hands man cause I tried that too.