Strangest encounter today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told my a friend that SLR (digital or otherwise) is not allowed into Old Trafford by spectators during match days.

So, even the ang mor have same rules.

DT :)

yar, the security guards here told me i cannot take photos of the office buildings near st paul's.. st paul's was fine though. the reasoning given was that "firstly you have a professional camera body and you also have a tripod so we have no choice but to classify you as one".. despite the fact that i probably looked like a street bum :bsmilie:

A few months back, I arranged a meet up at mrt with a guy who wants his SLR cleaned.
Upon receiving his camera, I removed the lens and pointed the camera at the light, to check the view finder. Then one mrt staff approached us and said that photography is not allowed in the station. :eek: I should have shown him that it does not have a film :bsmilie:

haha that is why they are trying to make things smaller.
Now you know why leica are so popular. ;p

Time to sell off all my gear for a Leica M8

You don't even need to go that far..

It was once said the Leica is the 'hobbit's ring' that supposedly makes the wearer invisible and lets them blend into the surroundings. That was 50 years ago.

Today, the magic ring is the tourist-like point and shoot camera. Get a silver one, look even more 'non-pro' :D

I'm not looking down on P&S.. but I find that when I carry my big guns I attract attention, when I pull out my small A530 (yes, I have one!) instantly everybody ignores me and I can do whatever I want - because instantly, in their eyes, you are reduced to the status of harmless tourist, of which millions with their small digitals have come and gone. You become part of the landscape.

I have this feeling that lots of pro photographers have a small camera as a backup for situations where holding the big rigs draws too many stares. I would probably pick up a Canon G9 or something similar (just my preference) for such situations.

This is really quite champion.

If I use a big camera, I'm a professional photographer.

If I drive a powerful car, that makes me a professional racer.
If I drive a van, it makes me a professional courier.
If I drive a scooter with a BIG BOX behind, it makes me pizza delivery man.

If I drive a BMW, I'm a chauffeur?

This is really quite champion.

If I use a big camera, I'm a professional photographer.

If I drive a powerful car, that makes me a professional racer.
If I drive a van, it makes me a professional courier.
If I drive a scooter with a BIG BOX behind, it makes me pizza delivery man.

If I drive a BMW, I'm a chauffeur?

Nice one there..hahaha

one more for the collection:

If I carry a Strat with Lace Sensor, does that make me God ?

Nice one there..hahaha

one more for the collection:

If I carry a Strat with Lace Sensor, does that make me God ?

Professional rockstar. :bsmilie:

In the same way, if you use a big cloth to wipe the table at home before you eat, you are a professional cleaner.

I believe people are 'made into', conditioned and trained to be a certain way. I don't think they are birthed as such unless it's a genetic anomaly. :)

I never blame a problem child; I look at the parents or guardians and educators.

Indeed, for many out there, they are conditioned to perceive things in a certain way; that it often overrides their ability to think with common sense. Perhaps they need a firmware upgrade or something to undo the damage.

to TS, this is normal, cause this is why DSLR user are avoided, cause from long time back, many people have been giving bad reputation.

I can understand how a lay man see things that they are not familiar.....for example when I see you guys going for NS.....I always think you guys can fight like John Rambo if needed....as for my self....I don't even know how to load a bullet or aim properly....so that's is intimidating :lovegrin:

That's the point here.

Just because we as hobbyist, amateur or pro photog, who knows the difference between a the various type of cameras as well as a pro viz a viz amateur. Does it make us soooo clever, ssoo high and mighty and less "stupid" or having more common sense then the folks who have no interest in photography, the camera etc and cannot discern the differences.

Come on guys give the ppl there a break. It is just a common perception and it is universal not just here.

And to the TS, no offense meant, I do not find it strange, though amusing, that's all.

Wrong title, even though it did seem 'strange to me' at the time.

Perhaps 'bewildering and amusing' would have been more apt. I did mention 'profoundly amusing' in my description. :bsmilie:

Alamak! Even if I asked for her name and no (then no more DM liao dun nid say no more camera!), she probably would have been on the defense thinking I want to complain (learned response of a lot of folks in the service line).

actually the 'babe' were likely cursing like ' please shut up and just keep your camera, i don't care you are a pro or not..' in her mind.. and what she try to do is following what the managements had asked her to do, and the management is simply just say big camera is not allowed..as there is also difficult to state a clear cut.

Just try to be nice if we are requested in a nice way.. sometimes how most photographers react is actually shaping how public response to photographers.

I was very nice and complying about the whole thing. :cool:

Hmm... Everytime go makan will be tempted to do some food photography... Use DSLR, sure kenna warned by the staff... PnS, no problem...

Let's all go for PnS!!!

Just try to be nice if we are requested in a nice way.. sometimes how most photographers react is actually shaping how public response to photographers.

And also how policy or rule makers set up boundaries also shape how people response or act as a whole too don't you think? You either smart up or dumb down the nation as a whole. Then how would that effect us on the world stage as a competent nation for workers and business? Personally, I want a thinking person not a drone working for me but that's just me. :)

All or nothing...wanna stop people from taking photos..then stop everyone...big or small cameras including mobile phone cameras. That way I only thinking the one who thought this up is stupid. To do what they did by distinguish that big camera are professional camera thus more dangerous for planning some terrorist act or have the ability to capture photo good enough for commercial use...then that just confirm he/she IS stupid and lazy for not doing their research and keeping up with the times as decision makers. In no way am I going to be unhappy with the lady and I too would comply and put my camera aside but I would think badly about the organisation and how all this will effect possible growth and repuation lost due to stuff like this. It's small but if all this happen at every level of the organisation...it all adds up. Anyway, we see this happening all around lah and that is what scares me since I see this more and more of late. Maybe is it not stupidity. I should stop calling it that hehe.. But for sure I think it is about being too damn lazy to play catch up and stay relevant. okay me ranting...so don't respond to this second part lah heheh...

Status
Not open for further replies.