Strange vertical row of green lights in pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydreamz

Mar 14, 2007
In a not so green world!! :(
Hi everybody...need some help and guidance on this matter from fellow cs mates...

Am getting this strange streak of bright green lights in a vertical sequence in some of my pics. It started off as a rare occurence so i ignored it but is now getting to affect at least 5-10% of my shots!! :cry:

realise it's also not a lens issue since I get it when i use different lenses too. Anyone knows what this is...sensor etc issues? or ...? :confused:

Attaching a pic too for easy reference to show u what i mean...see the pic of this lens...look at the lens hood...notice the vertical ants like line of green lights?!

Thanks friends in advance for ur help on this!

DSC_5506.jpg

Could be your camera's sensor chip experiencing some kind of problem that is causing it to create those intermitten dots in a vertical manner.

Is it happening in the same area ech time it does come about? Have you try using another memory card and see if this is happening? It could be your card has problem too. If you still see this even after you have change memory card, it is most likely to do with your camera. If so....there is no choice but to send it in for a checkup. This does not look like something you can fix on your own

thanks sammy...have not checked with another memory card yet...but will do that asap before taking the cam in to the nsc. thanks mate....

Could be your camera's sensor chip experiencing some kind of problem that is causing it to create those intermitten dots in a vertical manner.

Is it happening in the same area ech time it does come about? Have you try using another memory card and see if this is happening? It could be your card has problem too. If you still see this even after you have change memory card, it is most likely to do with your camera. If so....there is no choice but to send it in for a checkup. This does not look like something you can fix on your own

as sammy888 mentioned
looks like a sensor problem, better have it checked

i don't think that it could be a memory card problem
but worth a check as well

can either be a sensor or connector issue. But connector should affect more than dots on a line. Try cleaning your sensor with adust blower. There might be some dust at the side of the ccd that is interfering with the signal or causing a 'short'

as sammy888 mentioned
looks like a sensor problem, better have it checked

i don't think that it could be a memory card problem
but worth a check as well

yalor...may not be a memory card problem but for one thing..it is not dust. Looking at it..it is an electronic problem. No dust can come out so precise interval. If still under warranty..Nikon should get that fix for free. Don;t quote me on that lah hahahah....for all you know you stand under the rain and jot a jolt of lighhtning causing that hahahah.....just kidding

yalor...may not be a memory card problem but for one thing..it is not dust. Looking at it..it is an electronic problem. No dust can come out so precise interval. If still under warranty..Nikon should get that fix for free. Don;t quote me on that lah hahahah....for all you know you stand under the rain and jot a jolt of lighhtning causing that hahahah.....just kidding

yeah sammy888, you are right coming to reflect on this...the interval is too precise & consistent...is not looking like a mechanical / dust issue. I have Malaysia warranty D80 set (bought in CS from a nice gent), still under warranty but dont think I have the time to drive to JB to get this fixed. Heck..i dont really have the time to drive to NSC Anson Road here!!

Hmmm...is it a particular setting or light condition that triggers this? Coz it's also not in every picture ...only about 5-10% of the pics maybe even less.

Ha ha ha..if i were struck by lightning and still conversing here...heartiest congratulations then to CS & the internet...you have now penetrated all the way to heaven & hell (assuming i could end up in one of the other!) :)

can either be a sensor or connector issue. But connector should affect more than dots on a line. Try cleaning your sensor with adust blower. There might be some dust at the side of the ccd that is interfering with the signal or causing a 'short'

thanks shahrulesa...

yeah sammy888, you are right coming to reflect on this...the interval is too precise & consistent...is not looking like a mechanical / dust issue. I have Malaysia warranty D80 set (bought in CS from a nice gent), still under warranty but dont think I have the time to drive to JB to get this fixed. Heck..i dont really have the time to drive to NSC Anson Road here!!

Hmmm...is it a particular setting or light condition that triggers this? Coz it's also not in every picture ...only about 5-10% of the pics maybe even less.

IF it is electronic malfunction ( which I think it is )...it could be the start of something worst and what you are experiencing might just be the tip of it. Not sure if you should take your time and adopt a wait and see approach to this. IF there is some shortening within the circuit or motherboard...it can spell big problem. Not that I am trying to scare you. But when it comes to electronical parts...it is unpredictable lah.

I am really not sure how much this will help but what you can do is gather all the shots which you saw this happening and then read the Exif for each of them. Change lens to shoot too. Maybe some auto setting or function comes into play that is in common with all of them when this happen. It is a long shot lah but it might give you some indication to investigate future.

hehe This is really all voodoo magik trial and error lah heh but even if you did find out what happen..there really is only one thing you can do to fix it I think...and that would be........SENT IT IN! heheh....unless you invented the D80 and have a lab of your own or Mr Fantastic of the Fantasic 4 then you can go try to fiddle around with it heheh..

If the warranty is still covered, it's free but you wait till after that and they you find it needs a new sensor or some circuit board change and it cost a few hundred. It will really dry your wallet very quickly heh.

It's the sensor.
i got something liddat before, it comes out significantly only in dark coloured areas.
u notice ur that photo u posted? the green dots comes out only along dark (black) areas, and disappears into the white background.

i might be wrong,
but i believe it's the pixels being close to "stuck" or "dead" pixels, just that it cant adjust to black colour.

and urs is seriously bad :p
should send it to repair.
wouldnt wont the perfect moment shot to be destroyed by dis
by come to think of it. it's quite easy to photoshop those pixels out :p

?!?!?!? You sure dust at the side will cause a short and will interfere with the signal?
I think the chip is defective and failing. I agree with Bosty's comments.

thanks bosty, lsisaxon, sammy, big kahuna for all the advice...think i am gonna take it to nsc and give it a shot at getting it fixed. hope it does not turn out to be a lot of $$$ :sweat:

if it's under warranty, i believe they should service it for free.
if they charge u, complain! LOlx.
say u r still under warranty n their goods make u unhappy :p

all the best.
my guess is that they r gonna put it under some software,
can't rmb wad is it called (i cant rmb anything Lolx)
it shuffles ur pixels through colours at such a fast speed so many times
that it sorts of resets the pixel.

it's different from the one u do on stuck pixels on ur computer screen FYI

Your is not that bad...see mine...but it only occurs once and I am not able to reproduce it since :sweat:

DSC_3706.jpg

Some of my interesting story in here if you are interested.
http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1336

I think it's because you have a strong reflection of the sun at the edge where there are certain pixels used for calibration and it messed up the entire row's correction factors.

Maybe you can try to repeat this kind of shot again by framing the sun at one of the edges... Or maybe it's just a mirage? ;p

Maybe you can try to repeat this kind of shot again by framing the sun at one of the edges... Or maybe it's just a mirage? ;p

I think the building name is called "The Mirage"...... got any link???:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.