strange screeching sound when zooming

roaringflamer

Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
Hey all, im using a tokina 12-24 and d90 together for my wide shots. recently for no reason, when i turn the zoom ring, with the lens attached to the camera there seems to be a strange screeching sound, as if a car is braking suddenly, and 2 sides are rubbing against each other. not sure what could be the cause. when detached from the body and zoomed on its own, the lens does not have any such sound. need help here so any bros with experience maybe could answer? and like tell me if i need it repaired or cleaned or smth? could something be stuck inside causing resistance?

my suggestion is to stop turning it, and bring it to the servicing centre, or drop fatigue a pm, have it checked out.

definitely when you turn the zoom ring there shouldn't be a screeching sound. additional turning could make the problem worse.

Agree with night86mare, stop using the lens and have it check.
Not necessary to send it to me but at least send it to someone who is familiar with the lens.

No intention so scare you but it could be something like this (let's hope not) :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694767

Anyway, it's a different lens

alright thanks guys. only problem is im on holiday now for a month in europe >.< and need to shoot wide haha. ah wells. guess i'll shoot it as a 12mm prime lol!

anyone can help? problem still persists and i cant seem to find any problems with either the body or the lens. and have no idea how anything might have got inside?

Erm TS, did you set your Dry Cabinet RH very low like 20-30++ ?? Cos I think Lens do have lubricant for zooming , auto focus.. etc.. Thus 20-30++ RH will dry up the lubricant and this will cause the screeching sound isn't it ?? Just my guess.

alright thanks guys. only problem is im on holiday now for a month in europe >.< and need to shoot wide haha. ah wells. guess i'll shoot it as a 12mm prime lol!

Also in Europe you can find Nikon Service Centers, check them out online (since you have Internet access obviously). Nothing much anybody could do from remote ..

Maybe you did not engage the lens in manual focus mode.

. when detached from the body and zoomed on its own, the lens does not have any such sound.

This the big question: Why only when mounted on the camera?
Check the rear parts of the lens for any scratch marks

Another suspect ( a bit unlikely) is that the AF screw (on your lens) is turning when you zoom.
Such kind of condition will damage your camera's AF mechanism
Try switching the camera to MF and check if you can still hear the noise