Strange flare on night shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

natsora

Mar 31, 2011
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi brothers and sisters,

I took this shot with my 30mm Sigma lens with UV filter on. However, I noticed there was a strange light flare on my shot when I took pictures near Marina Bay Sands.

(Notice the blue light in the night sky)

Thinking it was my filter that is causing this I removed it and pictures after that were ok. Am I right that the filter was the cause? Or are there other causes?

If it is because of my filter is there any way to prevent this other than to remove my filter? Is it because my UV filter is the cheapo type?

Please help this newbie. Thank you!

Hi brothers and sisters,

I took this shot with my 30mm Sigma lens with UV filter on. However, I noticed there was a strange light flare on my shot when I took pictures near Marina Bay Sands.

(Notice the blue light in the night sky)

Thinking it was my filter that is causing this I removed it and pictures after that were ok. Am I right that the filter was the cause? Or are there other causes?

If it is because of my filter is there any way to prevent this other than to remove my filter? Is it because my UV filter is the cheapo type?

Please help this newbie. Thank you!

Yes

and Yes.

Actually it's is more advisable not to put any kind of UV filter for night shooting regardless of brands. Lol.

Hmmm... then what filter do you use to protect the lens?

Other than the lens hood, some don't use any type of protection at all. Daytime you can get away shooting with a UV filter slapped on, but come nighttime, it's a different story.

Lol UV filter too, but for night shoot just take it off. It's not like a rock can fly and hit your lens so it's ok to leave your lens 'vulnerable' just for that period of time.

Other than the lens hood, some don't use any type of protection at all. Daytime you can get away shooting with a UV filter slapped on, but come nighttime, it's a different story.

i don't use any protection.

*edit* that phrase above sounded so darn wrong.

cheap filters can cause flaring (sometimes really bad and make the image look blurry as well)

you can protect the front element. but if you drop your lens hard on the ground, it's still most likely a goner.

Last edited:
i don't use any protection.

*edit* that phrase above sounded so darn wrong.

cheap filters can cause flaring (sometimes really bad and make the image look blurry as well)

you can protect the front element. but if you drop your lens hard on the ground, it's still most likely a goner.

Hah! No protection + your fantastic good looks = Run, girls. For the love of god... RUN!:sweat:

Kidding aside, lenses with no filters are susceptible to flares too, so even if you have those expensive ones there's no guarantee it wouldn't cause flaring. Of course, those cheapo ones would make it much much worse without even trying.

My take on this is I'd get those mid-priced UVs, and if I need flares (I absolutely love daytime flares) I'd leave 'em on, if I don't then I'll take 'em off.

I used to have 2 sets of filters. One are Hoyas and the other are those really cheap gray ones so that I can amplify the flaring but eventually sold the cheapos off because it became troublesome storing them.

As for the lens drop part, my kid brother dropped his lens front first. Filter smashed, front element unscathed. YMMV.

Last edited:
Hah! No protection + your fantastic good looks = Run, girls. For the love of god... RUN!:sweat:

Kidding aside, lenses with no filters are susceptible to flares too, so even if you have those expensive ones there's no guarantee it wouldn't cause flaring. Of course, those cheapo ones would make it much much worse without even trying.

My take on this is I'd get those mid-priced UVs, and if I need flares (I absolutely love daytime flares) I'd leave 'em on, if I don't then I'll take 'em off.

I used to have 2 sets of filters. One are Hoyas and the other are those really cheap gray ones so that I can amplify the flaring but eventually sold the cheapos off because it became troublesome storing them.

yup yup. some lenses tend to flare badly even without the filter.

HAHA. haha. i love flares. not the hard ones, but the soft ones. (no dirty joke intended bro!) and daytime flares especially when shooting cute girls :D

yup yup. some lenses tend to flare badly even without the filter.

HAHA. haha. i love flares. not the hard ones, but the soft ones. (no dirty joke intended bro!) and daytime flares especially when shooting cute girls :D

Bro with you it's ALWAYS dirty hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.