Strange dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

joker134

May 15, 2009
Guys,

Just bought a digital dry cabinet 1+ weeks ago (almost 2 weeks).
Set it up to 45RH, and leave it on 24/7.

Strangely, it is up and down between 45 and 46. Never stays on 45. And I opened only once in those week. Is this normal? I thought it only needs 3 days and it will go to 45, stays there until we open the cab which wet air comes into the cab.

Please advise.

Thanks

Guys,

Just bought a digital dry cabinet 1+ weeks ago (almost 2 weeks).
Set it up to 45RH, and leave it on 24/7.

Strangely, it is up and down between 45 and 46. Never stays on 45. And I opened only once in those week. Is this normal? I thought it only needs 3 days and it will go to 45, stays there until we open the cab which wet air comes into the cab.

Please advise.

Thanks

Situation normal. You could be closer to 46 than you think but these things will have 2% accuracy at very best. Could be 47 or 43 unless your meter is calibrated annually.

So, should I set it to a lower level? or just leave it like this is okay?

It's normal lar brother! When the humidity in your cabinet exceeds the set value the desiccator will turn on and when the humidity reaches the set value it will turn off. That's why you see the fluctuation. You worry too much. :)

It's normal lar brother! When the humidity in your cabinet exceeds the set value the desiccator will turn on and when the humidity reaches the set value it will turn off. That's why you see the fluctuation. You worry too much. :)

Haha.
I thought it's best if I ask around, rather than have to spend money to fix my lens or my body :)
Thanks ziploc

what are you measuring with ? needle or electronic hygrometer?

if using needle type, use it as decoration and nothing more.... get a regular electronic hygrometer from DIY, Mustafa etc etc between $20-45 .... much more accurate reading

46-47 range in RH is fantastic control already.... in fact its very difficult to maintain so steady tight range.... I suspect your hygro is out or stiff (if needle type)

Hi, ed.
I have no idea, it's just digitally measured inside the cab.
So should I just put another hygrometer?

oh if its digital then should be more accurate BUT dont know if yours is properly calibrated or not

if can detach then use the salt test .... google 'check hygrometer salt test' .... and diy the test yourself at home with some simple tools

Don't forget: it's Relative Humidity ... relative to what? Temperature! (Ok, ideally not but that's real world here.) Stop messing about 1%, there is a range given in your camera manual. And regarding accuracy enough is said already.

I won't worry at all. Even if there's really a fault, it's only 1% anyway.

But if you really want to be sure, use another hygrometer to check.

was thinking of investing in a dry cabi
din know so troublesome one
only initial setup...once set to your room the environment, can leave it alone.

Don't worry about it, it's normal.
Mine worse, the RH can be between 47%-50%.

I put it in my bedroom, an air-con room.
When I off the air-con, the RH goes up. When I on the air-con, the RH goes down.

I used good industrial grade hygrometer regular for site work. Accuracy +/ 3~4% at best. Each of these instrument can buy many dry cabinets, depending on the size.

it will be stranger to me, if you set at 45% and get get exactly 45% and the 45% is the correct one.

PLS use such gauges as indicative value - they not good enough as instrument for serious interpretation!!!

Last edited:
was thinking of investing in a dry cabi
din know so troublesome one

Actually it is not a troublesome. It just took me ~10 minutes to complete first time setup and throw my slr to the cabi.
And just to tell you, it's a very worthy to invest in a dry cabi, rather than "submit" your lens to clear fungus :)

@Octarine: noted. I was just afraid I got a defect cabi. Thanks

@Blur Shadow, shaoken, swhyge: Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.