Storing The Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red4Ever

Aug 25, 2008
So many of these type of threads are being open. However, I still do not understand. Should I just put the equipments in the dry box or a air tight tupperware conatiner with thirsty hippo?

I am now also having the same question.
Btw, anyone knows the price for 50litre dry cabinet price?
It costs about $168 at Carrefour Plaza Singapore.
Does anyone know where offer this dry cabinet at cheaper price?

You can try Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard.

I am now also having the same question.
Btw, anyone knows the price for 50litre dry cabinet price?
It costs about $168 at Carrefour Plaza Singapore.
Does anyone know where offer this dry cabinet at cheaper price?

I bought a DigiCabi 50L from TK Foto for $160.

Bernard

So many of these type of threads are being open. However, I still do not understand. Should I just put the equipments in the dry box or a air tight tupperware conatiner with thirsty hippo?

The main target is to provide a storage environment with stable Relative Humidity (RH) of about 40-50%. There are certain ways to achieve this, it's up to you and your budget which way you go. But bear in mind: the main thing is stable and defined RH, not just dry. Higher humidity helps the fungus to grow, lower humidity (<40%) can result in damaged equipment (rubber, seals, lubricant etc.).
Tupperware + hippo: how much control do you have here? You could put in a hygrometer but you'll see that initially the hippo is too thirsty and at the end it's not enough anymore. Beside this, if the hippo leaks you'll have a disaster.
Dry box + Silica Gel: The box has a hygrometer. You'll need to check the RH reading from time to time. If the Silica Gel is used up you'll need to replace it or dry it in microwave. Can be a cheap solution for small equipment if you are familiar with handling Silica gel.
Dry cabinet: Most preferred solution here. Put your equipment in, adjust the dial and that's it. Needs power but consumption is low (5W). Smallest type (30l) is already big enough for more than one cam + lens and you can get is around 100 bucks. Most camera shops have the small versions ex-stock, the bigger ones (80l and above) come with free delivery.

Which brand to buy?

Hi I'm a newbie and i was wondering if i only have a camera with a kit lens and i bring my camera out everyday would i still need a dry cabinet to store my camera when i get home or just leaving it in the bag would do??

Hi I'm a newbie and i was wondering if i only have a camera with a kit lens and i bring my camera out everyday would i still need a dry cabinet to store my camera when i get home or just leaving it in the bag would do??

It's up to you. But personally... why risk such expensive equipment?

Even though I bring my camera out almost DAILY, I still use a dry cabinet. So much safer, plus thru the night, it's protected with a constant humidity level which I set.

And please remember, sillica gel is carcinogenic. :thumbsd:

It's up to you. But personally... why risk such expensive equipment?

Even though I bring my camera out almost DAILY, I still use a dry cabinet. So much safer, plus thru the night, it's protected with a constant humidity level which I set.

And please remember, sillica gel is carcinogenic. :thumbsd:

Thanks so much for your expertise. I guess the first thing i should go out and get is a dry box then. Any recommendations of where i can get one that's not too pricey??

Thanks so much for your expertise. I guess the first thing i should go out and get is a dry box then. Any recommendations of where i can get one that's not too pricey??

Usually all camera shops have such dry boxes. Further addresses you can find in Consumer Corner or in the Equipment sections, sticky threads for cameras and lenses.
I would recommend getting a small dry cabinet. Although you don't have much equipment it is easier than to fiddle with silica gel and to watch the hygrometer. If you open the box daily for taking out the cam then the gel needs to be "dried" very soon.
Secondly, a dry cabinet can also help to protect other items from humidity. I keep some personal documents inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.