Storing photos on the Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanrek

Jul 19, 2006
Hi Friends,

Do you keep the Full resolution jpegs in your gallaries (like PBASE.com) or do you reduce the quality to reduce the size before uploading?
Is it a good back up method to keep the originals at websites?..
Most of my original files are 6 to 7 MB in size..at the moment I am reducing the size below 1MB before uploading and keep the originals on DVDs..
Just interested to know how you guys are doing it.. and what is the best method..

Thanks
Mohan

I'm using smugmug as a secondary storage and for photo sharing. I upload the full size pics online. For smugmug, you can order all your pics in burnt in DVDs if you want to have a backup of your pics online.

yup i normally reduce it to about 600x400 px before puttin it up....

and NO i dun keep originals online.... :D

Thanks everyone for the response.. looks like it is better to keep the originals with ourselves in multiple media, than trusting websites to do it.
I am planning to keep one copy in external USB HDD and a secondary copy on DVD.

Some one told me this... (The original is the proof that it is our photo.. do not let any one steal it from a site:)... but I do not know the legality of this statement.

**By the way I do not have any photos that some one would like to steal :bsmilie: :bsmilie: **

Regards
Mohan

i prefer to back them up on dvd media.

if my photos are on albums online, they're always resized to a 'web friendly' size which isn't sufficient as a backup.

I suggest, not archiving it on the net.

Let's not talk about the cost first, but integrity of the image. Because the files are large, we wouldn't know if the files are properly transferred to the server without timeouts unless we open the files from the server and check them one by one. And that's very time exhausting.

If the server goes down due to some reason and your files are lost, then there goes all your hard work if that's the only backup you have.

I think the best method is still a hdd.

I just use Zenfolio and upload the pics as I had taken them - all hi res, and then enable the 'No Original File Download' function. Zenfolio will display the pics to best fit size so no problem about it opening the actual size for display. Also, it acts as an online storage for me and if I really do want to get my original photos out, I just enable the function and download. It's easy, fast and convenient..

http://brandon.zenfolio.com/

Referral Code: KU6-334-FJZ

Is it safe to store original on the net, with all the hacking & leeching going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.