Storing of DSLR and Lens.

xDreamerZ

May 3, 2011
Disney!
Hi guys, I have a question to ask. I have been storing my lens and DSLR in a dry cabinet. However i put a printer on top of my dry cabinet (no space in the house alr). And this striked me recently that, will the vibration from the printer during printing cause the lens glasses to shift and also affect my DSLR? Should i do something about it? Thanks!

I would not be troubled by it.

But if are very concerned, then just relocate the printer.

Hi guys, I have a question to ask. I have been storing my lens and DSLR in a dry cabinet. However i put a printer on top of my dry cabinet (no space in the house alr). And this striked me recently that, will the vibration from the printer during printing cause the lens glasses to shift and also affect my DSLR? Should i do something about it? Thanks!

No. Like that every lens manual will have a big warning saying "keep away from vibrations"

Every time you print a page, the vibrations will send minor tremors to your lenses which will go out of alignment a bit and the screws get unscrew bit by bit, by the time you go thru a stack of A4, all your lenses would had fallen apart. Glued parts might dislodge and fall away too.

Such is the power of printers. Such, is the power of paranoidism and love of perfect condition gear. Such is...

Ok sorry.

Don't you think that carrying your gear around in a bag will cause more shaking and vibrations than what any consumer printer can do?

Here's what I've found in the Nikon D4 User's Manual - Pg 408

Caring for the Camera and Battery: Cautions
Do not drop: The product may malfunction if subjected to strong shocks or vibrations.

I've encounter a case where a frequently used printer in a room with regular air-conditioning, after a while, produces quite a fair bit of vibrations especially during high speed mode.
I think the best is to relocate!

Dear xDreamerZ:

In the absence of of dampening, resonance from harmonic frequency induced by the vibrations from the printer may inevitably lead to a catastrophic structural collapse in the molecular level as the electromagnetic binding between atomic elements disintergrate thus forming a Einstein-Rosen Bridge to another dimension.

Please do not put your printer on your dry cabinet for the sake of humanity, thank you.

Last edited:
When the lens is in your bag or when u are using it or when u are running with it.. What happen? Are all the glasses going to shift?
Nah.. u are worrying too much..If it really bothers u alot..then yea pls relocate the printer or dry cabinet. Its not difficult. :)

Is it that hard to just reply "No, nothing will happen
. You don't need to worry about the vibrations from the printer." Instead of giving all the criticism which most of your did. Is it that hard to be friendly? O; although my lens and dslr are average consumer grade, but I still do care about them and hope that they can last longer. Paranoid? I don't think so. And also the vibrations from a printer and from running about its quite different. If I knew the answer to whether constant vibration will affect the lens elements. Thanks kklee, I guess I'll relocate the printer!

Welcome to clubsnap =)

Photographic gears are precision instruments afterall. I would minimise vibration.

A good way to dampen the vibration would be to add some styrofoam underneath your printer (the thicker the styrofoam the better the damping effect, I believe you can get the styrofoam from Daiso or DIY shops in Singapore), although I would not bother with it, but I think if you are really concern, you can do that :)

Photographic gears are precision instruments afterall. I would minimise vibration.
No, they are consumer electronics. The actual tolerances in accuracy combined with the wrong belief of users that they have a precision instrument (or are entitled to have one after paying a few hundred dollars) creates a nice additional revenue stream for Service Centers (calibration services) and has helped numerous calibration products into the market.

A good way to dampen the vibration would be to add some styrofoam underneath your printer (the thicker the styrofoam the better the damping effect, I believe you can get the styrofoam from Daiso or DIY shops in Singapore), although I would not bother with it, but I think if you are really concern, you can do that :)
Or any sand bag / bean bag can do the same. Important is a granular and flexible structure of the material. But, most printers come with small rubber feet. Should be enough.

Alright thanks for all the inputs! I will just add foams to the bottom of the printer to minimise the vibrations! Never thought of that before!

Alright thanks for all the inputs! I will just add foams to the bottom of the printer to minimise the vibrations! Never thought of that before!

Actually, nothing will happen. With or without the foam... please..

nothing will happen. lens take lorry to arrive at showroom for you to buy, right? lens take airplane, take ship. no worry.

shoot more. worry less.