Storing Lenses.. standing up or sleeping down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micky

Mar 30, 2005
Hi,
I started using a digi-cab recently.
However I'm not sure what is the correct way to store my lenses.
Is it better to store it standing up (Front Element facing downwards - with lense cap of course)
Or is it better to lie it on its sides?

I had been storing the lenses standing up until i got the digi-cab, which comes with a foam/sponge piece of something... which looks like its meant to support lenses on its side - hence the question now.

I always assumed its better to stand it up...
Will keeping the lens on its side too long without rotating it cause the lens elements inside the lens to shift from its axis (downwards)?

I personally store them lying- to save space so I can stack them up in my small little twpperware box ;)

Think if the lens will shift from it's axis if stored this way, can throw away.

Lenses are subjected to much more shock when in use and transportation.

These things comes in containers and have gone through many rounds of handling - by port workers, delivery operators.....anyway, ppl who dont; give a flying fish about the elements in the lens barrel.

I like to think that most photographic equipemnt are ment to stand up to some level of 'abuse' . They are meant ot be used in the outdoors, right?

DT :)

It does not really matter, but if u really want to know the bestest way is to put it straight, front element point downward, take off the lens cap, keep the back cap on.

short lens I store upwards but long lens sideway because can't fit in the dry box. I think the only danger of sideways is for it to roll off the edge (or a table) and drop.

Astin said:
It does not really matter, but if u really want to know the bestest way is to put it straight, front element point downward, take off the lens cap, keep the back cap on.

Pardon me but why remove the lens cap? Won't that possibly damage the filter(assuming there's one)?

Yes all lenses should be protected with a UV filter though.

It doesn't matter. As long as can fit and easier to access.

Regards,
Arto.

Up down or side, that's the way lens are being store while in shops. Actually most are lying on side.

I don't believe it matters..

Hmm I'm also curious to know why the lens cap should be taken on.

On a side note, would it make any difference storing it on its backcap rather than the front cap?

Astin said:

Status
Not open for further replies.