Storing lenses in dry box/cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hello

Is it a good practice to remove both front and back end caps from lenses when storing them in dry cabinets/boxes? If not, will the humid air "trapped" inside these lenses cause fungus to grow as it may not be able to be "dried". Thanks

FM

Anyone can help??? This is especially so for lenses that have weather seal ... when the end caps are screwed to the lens the air trapped inside the lens will not have any chance to be dried.

Thanks.

I usually leave both caps on and so far. No fugus has ever grown on my lenses.

coke21 said:
I usually leave both caps on and so far. No fugus has ever grown on my lenses.

Lens are not airtight, cap will help to protect against scratching. Dry box will absorb moisture whether with or without condom. Opps! typo I mean cap :D

erm .

Got another question. for Zoom lenses, should they be stored on their ends standing upright ? Or placed horizontal ? Which is better?

Is it a myth or truth that standing it on its ends would cause the zoom mechanism to deteriorate ?

Thanks in adavance for valued tips.

The lens must have protection. Better to leave the french cap on.
:D

It's perfectly alright.

KeyserSoze said:
erm .

Got another question. for Zoom lenses, should they be stored on their ends standing upright ? Or placed horizontal ? Which is better?

Is it a myth or truth that standing it on its ends would cause the zoom mechanism to deteriorate ?

Thanks in adavance for valued tips.

erm , didn't think my question was answered.

I mean to ask if the lens (with caps on) should be left standing upright OR lying 'flat' horizontally.

KeyserSoze said:
erm , didn't think my question was answered.

I mean to ask if the lens (with caps on) should be left standing upright OR lying 'flat' horizontally.

I don't think it will matter. Standing upright will of course save you some space.

:D

normally as a precaution, i cleaned the lens cap & UV filters everytime before i put them back on the lens, and into the dry cabinet.

Leongfm said:
Hello

Is it a good practice to remove both front and back end caps from lenses when storing them in dry cabinets/boxes? If not, will the humid air "trapped" inside these lenses cause fungus to grow as it may not be able to be "dried". Thanks

FM
technically it wasn't necessary to remove your cap or detach your lens from the camera body. But if you have enuff space or if you feel more secure by removing them, by all means .

Try not to store your lenses too long in the cabinet. Lenses need to be "warm up" as well. Fungus growth will still grow in your lens if you do not use your lenses for a long time. Dry cabinets absorbs moisture and stabilize the lenses in the cabinet only.

When the glass of the lens is not expose to UV rays which is the sun (which kills the fungus growth), there will still be fungus growing. So be warn. I have a lens which i did not use for a prolong period (not sure how long but i think about 4 months) and the fungus just grew.:cry:

So every now and then you must either use it or open up your front and back lens cap to let it expose to UV rays.

Thanks!

Godzilla Invades said:
Try not to store your lenses too long in the cabinet. Lenses need to be "warm up" as well. Fungus growth will still grow in your lens if you do not use your lenses for a long time. Dry cabinets absorbs moisture and stabilize the lenses in the cabinet only.

When the glass of the lens is not expose to UV rays which is the sun (which kills the fungus growth), there will still be fungus growing. So be warn. I have a lens which i did not use for a prolong period (not sure how long but i think about 4 months) and the fungus just grew.:cry:

So every now and then you must either use it or open up your front and back lens cap to let it expose to UV rays.

Thanks!
Hi, is it possible to leave the lens under UV lamp to prevent fungus growth?

pangeko said:
Hi, is it possible to leave the lens under UV lamp to prevent fungus growth?

Hi not too sure about that but I guess you can try and see. As long as you use your lens and open up the back and from cover for the light to go through. I did thought about that few years back about using a UV lamp but not too sure how effective.

Any guys or gals would know about whether using a UV lamp will destroy the fungus growth? I know sunlight will but not too sure about the lamp.

Godzilla Invades said:

Any guys or gals would know about whether using a UV lamp will destroy the fungus growth? I know sunlight will but not too sure about the lamp.

Interesting read-up for those paranoid abt fungi growing on their lenses...(see url below)

FUNGI in Photographic Lens
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

How do u guys keep your lenses dry when travelling? Do u bring a portable dry box with you? I'm travelling in 2 weeks time and am just wondering if I should bring a small portable one with me with packs of silica gel thrown in.

Hi Vivien....

Lets not get too paranoid.....on this bringing of box etc....

Well...when you travel....just make sure you use the equipment that you bring - or shoudl is put it in another way.....bring what you need.

Use them and just do basic cleaning like blowing of dirt or wipinf them (especially if you use SLR near the sea a lot). Just enough equipment will make sure you have them out with you all the time and using them.

Using them and exposing them to the sunny day and also zooming in and out of zoom lens help in preventing "stagnant" air.

rgds,
sulhan

Status
Not open for further replies.