Storing lens with fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

blusher

Sep 18, 2007
hi all,

i've just recently noticed that there is a small speck of fungus growing on my canon kit lens.
still comtemplating if i should send it to the hospital.

but meantime, worried if the fungus will spread to other lenses or the body??
should i store the infected one away from the rest??
or issit fine to keep them in the same dry cabi??

pls advise! thanks!

hi all,

i've just recently noticed that there is a small speck of fungus growing on my canon kit lens.
still comtemplating if i should send it to the hospital.

but meantime, worried if the fungus will spread to other lenses or the body??
should i store the infected one away from the rest??
or issit fine to keep them in the same dry cabi??

pls advise! thanks!

Actually it does not matter.
Your cabinet is coated with lots of spores the moment it was delivered to you.
Everything around us are spore coated. We got spores all over us.

But if you still do not feel good, you can keep them apart.

Ryan

so i should be keeping the infected lens in a even drier environment to prevent it from getting worse?

I suggest keeping the lens away from other lenses (i.e. quarantine). If u put them together, u are putting a fungi source near ur other "clean" lenses. And so, the closer they are, the higher the chances of spreading the fungi to other lenses. So get it cleaned b4 putting it back in ur dry-cabi.

Yes, no doubt there are many fungi and spores all over us and environment and even ur dry-cabi, not all can grow on ur lenses. Now that we are sure the kind of fungi u have on ur lens can grow on glass, its a good idea to keep it away from others for the moment.

It don't think any drier environment will help much. Too dry for long time can damage ur lens (e.g. the rubber parts). Just keep it out for the moment and get it cleaned asap. Prob if u want, just use a ziplock bag throw some dessicators inside.

The best way to prevent fungus on lens, IMHO, is to use the lens often. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.