Storing external HDD

blackandyellow

May 6, 2011
Hi everyone! I need some help into where I can save my external HDD when it's full?

Hi everyone! I need some help into where I can save my external HDD when it's full?

Erm. Your cabinet/drawer? Not sure what the point of your question is. Buy a new drive?

What I mean was to keep those HDD that are full with pics for e long term safely.

many fireproof safe are rated one hour, so you need to put out the fire within an hour.

or move the safe away from the fire within an hour.

Meaning if the fire start while you are away, which is likely the case, by the time you are back, your data are well done right ? keke

lame isn't it?

Sir, why is it lame ? It's how truthful a real fire would be isn't it ? :) Which is my point fireproof safe is not safe for electronics especially for magnetic devices. Under high heat, the magnetism of the hard disk deteriorate even before the electronic melt.

blackandyellow said:
What I mean was to keep those HDD that are full with pics for e long term safely.

Bank safe deposit box or a dry cabinet.

How long is your long ? 50 years ? My recommendation is as follows, store multiple copies may it be Harddisk, Bluray, DVD etc.. of the same data and store them separately in different geographical locations. If they are of paramount value, yes, Bank safe deposits are SAFE because not only is the area secure, the facility is as sufficient fire proof equipments and a lot more I suspect. Comes with a substantial price tag I presume.

If not, a more advance but less secure approach is send your hard disk to Amazon and have the photos store in Amazon S3 data storage which is stored across the continents in multiple sites.

Hence the answer to your security is your budget and duration.

Btw data on hard disk don't last forever, magnetism deteriorate over time too, same for dyed media used in Blura, DVD, CDROM etc. You will need to re-copy them into a new media from time to time.

Last edited:
Thanks for e info everyone! Appreciate the feedback!

Sir, why is it lame ? It's how truthful a real fire would be isn't it ? :) Which is my point fireproof safe is not safe for electronics especially for magnetic devices. Under high heat, the magnetism of the hard disk deteriorate even before the electronic melt.

agreed with you, the cost of save keeping, backup of images is very high, only some images are really worth the money, time and efforts to keep them.

Burn into DVD as much as u can.

Burn into DVD as much as u can.
Ever seen a test where long term storage on such media is simulated (since we don't have any real long term data yet)? You will need to have the right storage conditions (temperature, humidity), otherwise your data are gone.
HDD is the better choice. Put them into any drawer / dry cabinet and done.

Hmmm.... HDD will crash, DVD will lose its data over 10yrs? (think so, can't remember).
Best Bet, very precious photos and video.... always have a backup and also, re-copy every 5 yrs.

Note: jpeg files will lose its data with every modification/usage. Keep RAW files.