Store lense with filter on/off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuySell

Mar 20, 2008
Hi guys,

Is it better to store lense with filter on with caps or without filters with cap?

And also was it better to store lense with filter on in dry cabint or filter off in dry cabinet? What i'm afraid is that it might grow fungus when i store lense with filter screwed on inside the dry cabinet.

Please advise and your opinion on how you store ur lense with/without filters too.

while the theory of air being trapped between filter and lens is possible, I doubt that the moisture present in that small amount of air is sufficient for any fungus to grow.. and I've not come across any cases of fungus forming this way.. yet..

I keep my UV filters on my lenses all the time.. My ND4 and CPL are kept separately as they are mounted on a per need basis..

It does not matter with or without filter. But for convenience many ppl will store the lens with filter on, its easier and faster to just take out and shoot if store that way.

while the theory of air being trapped between filter and lens is possible, I doubt that the moisture present in that small amount of air is sufficient for any fungus to grow.. and I've not come across any cases of fungus forming this way.. yet..

I keep my UV filters on my lenses all the time.. My ND4 and CPL are kept separately as they are mounted on a per need basis..

So if you are using other filters such as CPL, do you screw it on top of the UV filter or take off the UV filter before screwing in CPL?

So if you are using other filters such as CPL, do you screw it on top of the UV filter or take off the UV filter before screwing in CPL?
to use a CPL effectively, you have to be able to rotate it to the correct orientation required.. therefore, I put it all the way in front so that I can use my screw-in lens hood to do the rotation.. this makes things easier..

of course, if you know you're gonna use the CPL for quite a few shots, then remove the UV filter.. it doesn't contribute to anything and may instead cause problems such as vigneting or internal flare..

I always store my lens with the filter on. Don't think there would be any issue. :)

Dun think it matters.
I usually store my filters in another compartment. Too inconvenient to hunt for the filter looking thru the lenses.

Ryan

Hi guys,

Is it better to store lense with filter on with caps or without filters with cap?

And also was it better to store lense with filter on in dry cabint or filter off in dry cabinet? What i'm afraid is that it might grow fungus when i store lense with filter screwed on inside the dry cabinet.

Please advise and your opinion on how you store ur lense with/without filters too.

If it can "trap" a lot of air in between the filter and the lens, a simple way is just loosen the filter so that there are some very small gaps for the air in between the filter and lens to get dry.

Once I forgotten to loosen the telescope (105mm) cover (tighten like a filter) after about 3 months, a little fungus grew and it leaves a little mark on the optics coating even after I clean it.

Just like whether you should sleep with clothes on or off, it is your choice. No right or wrong answer.

filter on.. i hate cleaning the dust stuck between filter and lens when i mount the filter again.

but like many said.. it doesn't really matter.. enjoy shooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.