Storage: RAW File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimlee

Jan 23, 2005
Lavender
Hi to all,

I will like to shoot in RAW format. But the problem with RAW is that the size is very huge.

I am wondering, do you people always keep your RAW file after converting it to JPG after post processing.

If yes, do you keep it in the harddisk? Any other suitable media to store the RAW file permanently? DVD-R?

Thank you.

Yes, keep your RAW files. Never know when you might need them again. Also, storage media isn't that expensive these days.

I recently started shooting more in RAW. Ran out of space on my HDD, so now I use an external hard disk for storing photos. Eventually plan to have everything backed up on DVD (once I get that drive to work properly...)

When u burn to CDR or DVDR, burn 2 copies.
Those cheaper media are more prone to decays...

Thanks. But DVD is still has limited space... 4.7Gb only for single side. One photo session may come out to be around 1.5Gb for RAW, which means only can store around 3 sessions.

That is a lot of DVD for a year! :sweat:

Maybe a high capacity HD is a better choice? :think:

The cost now is around $1 per disc for a 4.7GB disc. Maybe less.
If burn 2 copies, work out to around $0.50 per GB, inclusive of fragmentation.

If u can get a HDD cheaper than that, then go ahead. Dun forget U'll need 2 HDD, 1 for backup.

With advancement in technology, storage will be greatly increase in the future. But for now, it is 4.7GB.

Anyway it makes good house keeping to store the RAW files externally rather than another HDD.

Also keep at least 2 copies, just in case.

Kimlee said:
Thanks. But DVD is still has limited space... 4.7Gb only for single side. One photo session may come out to be around 1.5Gb for RAW, which means only can store around 3 sessions.

Kimlee said:

still cheaper than shooting on trans or negative.

if you read the same article as I did.. (i forgot from where though..) it was recommended that when you burn the 2 discs. use different manufacturers (not diff brands) sometimes it's the same manufacturer supplying same discs for different brands. Then store them in 2 different physical locations.

It sound kind of overkill for me as a hobbyist or part time freelance.

I just burn into 1 cd and print out for keeps.

yanyewkay said:
if you read the same article as I did.. (i forgot from where though..) it was recommended that when you burn the 2 discs. use different manufacturers (not diff brands) sometimes it's the same manufacturer supplying same discs for different brands. Then store them in 2 different physical locations.

It sound kind of overkill for me as a hobbyist or part time freelance.

I just burn into 1 cd and print out for keeps.

Yah ... I read this somewhere too.
I keep all my RAW files. And burn them to DVDs. I have 2 copies of each backup. I usually use TDK and Mitsubishi DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.