Storage problem.. Dry box??


Status
Not open for further replies.

markytan

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
9
0
0
Visit site
#1
Finally got the coolpix 3700 after much help from you guys.. Thanks alot to those who help me make such an informed choice.. I am totally saisfied with my purchase.

Kinda realise that i dunno how i should store my camera.. Do i need to get a dry box or dry cabinet or can i jus put some silica gel??

I am thinkin of gettin a dry box, but where should i get it from and any brands?? Went to CP and they recommended me tis dry box that cost $39. Tot its a little ex. Later went to 3:16 and it cost $28, but the guy in the shop suggested that i jus get a tupperware instead.. So what is the difference between a dry box and a tupperware (that is air-tight)?? If they are the same, should i jus get a tupperwear that fits my digicam??

Finally got a kingston sd card. How is this brand issit reliable??

Please advice..
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,662
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#2
For your drybox problem, recently there's a number of threads (at least 2) on this topic. Reading through them will help you understand the usage and deciding between a drybox and an electronic dry cabinet.

For a quick answer, your Coolpix 3700 is pretty small so the most budget solution would be to get a airtight box and a bottle of silica gel for your storage needs.
 

markytan

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
9
0
0
Visit site
#3
So is there any difference between those airtight dry box at AP & CP and an airtight tupperware?????
 

hooikm

New Member
Jan 12, 2004
14
0
0
#4
markytan said:
Finally got the coolpix 3700 after much help from you guys.. Thanks alot to those who help me make such an informed choice.. I am totally saisfied with my purchase.

Kinda realise that i dunno how i should store my camera.. Do i need to get a dry box or dry cabinet or can i jus put some silica gel??

I am thinkin of gettin a dry box, but where should i get it from and any brands?? Went to CP and they recommended me tis dry box that cost $39. Tot its a little ex. Later went to 3:16 and it cost $28, but the guy in the shop suggested that i jus get a tupperware instead.. So what is the difference between a dry box and a tupperware (that is air-tight)?? If they are the same, should i jus get a tupperwear that fits my digicam??

Finally got a kingston sd card. How is this brand issit reliable??

Hi, if you wanna get dry box, I have one almost new for sale with silica gel for $28. Contact me at hooikm@hotmail.com


Please advice..
Hi, if you wanna get dry box, I have one almost new for sale with silica gel for $28. Contact me at hooikm@hotmail.com
 

wheek

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
172
0
0
#5
Ah Pao said:
For your drybox problem, recently there's a number of threads (at least 2) on this topic. Reading through them will help you understand the usage and deciding between a drybox and an electronic dry cabinet.

For a quick answer, your Coolpix 3700 is pretty small so the most budget solution would be to get a airtight box and a bottle of silica gel for your storage needs.
So you mean putting the digital camera (or digital camcorder for that fact) in a air tight tupperware-type box with silica gel is good enough? Gee if that's so then its great 'cos no space in my room for dry box or dry cabinet or watever its called!
 

pascalc

New Member
Jan 1, 2004
106
0
0
15
Sydney
Visit site
#6
wheek said:
So you mean putting the digital camera (or digital camcorder for that fact) in a air tight tupperware-type box with silica gel is good enough? Gee if that's so then its great 'cos no space in my room for dry box or dry cabinet or watever its called!
That's fine with me... But if you have extra cash on hand, eg. CNY angpows, then spend more loh... But i'd rather spend the money on filters, films...

I just grabbed two of my mom's old tupperwares for my Nikon bodies and lenses...

No problem all these years.
 

C-720

New Member
Jan 6, 2004
108
0
0
Singapore
#7
I'm selling away my dry box also with cheap price together with 2 silicon containers. i got this from Sim Lim 1 one year ago. Recently intend to get a dry cabinet as the existing dry box can't load off all my stuff. interested u can pm me. :D
 

Dec 25, 2003
182
0
16
North-West Singapore
#8
Ah Pao said:
For your drybox problem, recently there's a number of threads (at least 2) on this topic. Reading through them will help you understand the usage and deciding between a drybox and an electronic dry cabinet.

For a quick answer, your Coolpix 3700 is pretty small so the most budget solution would be to get a airtight box and a bottle of silica gel for your storage needs.
Hi,
Just want to ask if the silica gel can be placed straight into the dry box without the bottle i.e pouring the silica gel over the box?
My bottle of silica gel is too large to fit into the dry box, so i had to resort to pouring some of it straight into the box.
Just wondering if this is okay?
Thanks :)
 

wheek

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
172
0
0
#9
Redstar202 said:
Hi,
Just want to ask if the silica gel can be placed straight into the dry box without the bottle i.e pouring the silica gel over the box?
My bottle of silica gel is too large to fit into the dry box, so i had to resort to pouring some of it straight into the box.
Just wondering if this is okay?
Thanks :)
On a similar topic, I heard silica gel that's pink can be heated in an oven till its blue & reused. How often can this be repeated?
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#10
wheek said:
On a similar topic, I heard silica gel that's pink can be heated in an oven till its blue & reused. How often can this be repeated?
I have one bottle of silica gel with me since 1996 ...... I had been "frying" it to remove the water content and it is still working :) ...... hehehehehe ..... 5 dollars for 8 eights .... cool :).
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#11
Redstar202 said:
Hi,
Just want to ask if the silica gel can be placed straight into the dry box without the bottle i.e pouring the silica gel over the box?
My bottle of silica gel is too large to fit into the dry box, so i had to resort to pouring some of it straight into the box.
Just wondering if this is okay?
Thanks :)
I pour some of the silica gel into a filter bag .... the type you buy at wet market to filter the bones / chinese medicine / tea leaf ... etc etc ..... put the filter into my dry box instead :). Spilling the silica gel is quite untidy.

Why do you put the bottle into the box? It will be useless ;).

Now also using dry cabinet :).
 

wheek

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
172
0
0
#12
blurblock said:
I pour some of the silica gel into a filter bag .... the type you buy at wet market to filter the bones / chinese medicine / tea leaf ... etc etc ..... put the filter into my dry box instead :). Spilling the silica gel is quite untidy.

Why do you put the bottle into the box? It will be useless ;).

Now also using dry cabinet :).
I assume can also just pour the silica gel into a small dish or container & leave it in the airtight box right? ;p

BTW, great to hear the silica gel lasts so long. Am currently using thirsty hippo. Costs me a bomb! :angry: Wish I had space for dry box. Room really very crammed. So no choice, use those airtight tupperware-type box with silica gel. At least these can fit in my cupboard. May not be perfect but sure beats just leaving the camera in a cupboard by itself without anything. :)
 

pascalc

New Member
Jan 1, 2004
106
0
0
15
Sydney
Visit site
#13
wheek said:
I assume can also just pour the silica gel into a small dish or container & leave it in the airtight box right? ;p

BTW, great to hear the silica gel lasts so long. Am currently using thirsty hippo. Costs me a bomb! :angry: Wish I had space for dry box. Room really very crammed. So no choice, use those airtight tupperware-type box with silica gel. At least these can fit in my cupboard. May not be perfect but sure beats just leaving the camera in a cupboard by itself without anything. :)
I poured my silical gel on the bottom of my tupperware and placed a handkerchief over it. Just pour them out to sun it or microwave when they turn pink.

Cheers
 

wheek

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
172
0
0
#14
pascalc said:
I poured my silical gel on the bottom of my tupperware and placed a handkerchief over it. Just pour them out to sun it or microwave when they turn pink.

Cheers
A bit messy leh. hehe! :p I think I'll find some small container, maybe even an empty matchbox & just put the gel in there. Easier to remove for sunning too.
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#15
wheek said:
I assume can also just pour the silica gel into a small dish or container & leave it in the airtight box right? ;p

BTW, great to hear the silica gel lasts so long. Am currently using thirsty hippo. Costs me a bomb! :angry: Wish I had space for dry box. Room really very crammed. So no choice, use those airtight tupperware-type box with silica gel. At least these can fit in my cupboard. May not be perfect but sure beats just leaving the camera in a cupboard by itself without anything. :)
as long as there is a chance for spilling out, still quite messy :).
 

cheersjy

New Member
Jul 1, 2003
917
0
0
Hougang
www.pbase.com
#16
I have been using the air-tight tupperware from the brand Lock-and-Lock to store all my cam and films for more than 2 years liao! I did tried out several brands of tupperware in the market but so far Lock-and-Lock shows the greatest reliability (judging from the speed my silica gel turns pink). I got the second largest one (8 litre if not mistaken) for about $10. There is even a porous platform inside which allows you to pour the silica gel neatly below and place your cam on top of the platform without touching the silica gel. This brand of tupperware can be found at Cold Storage, but for the cheapest price and widest variety, i would recommend Giant at IMM, Jurong East. A bottle of silica gel only cost $3.50, and can be recycled for years.
 

wheek

New Member
Jan 16, 2004
172
0
0
#17
cheersjy said:
I have been using the air-tight tupperware from the brand Lock-and-Lock to store all my cam and films for more than 2 years liao! I did tried out several brands of tupperware in the market but so far Lock-and-Lock shows the greatest reliability (judging from the speed my silica gel turns pink). I got the second largest one (8 litre if not mistaken) for about $10. There is even a porous platform inside which allows you to pour the silica gel neatly below and place your cam on top of the platform without touching the silica gel. This brand of tupperware can be found at Cold Storage, but for the cheapest price and widest variety, i would recommend Giant at IMM, Jurong East. A bottle of silica gel only cost $3.50, and can be recycled for years.
Any idea if other places like Carrefour have it? :D
 

HelmetBox

New Member
Sep 9, 2003
1,324
0
0
#18
search the past threads, been discussed before

:D
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom