Storage of Waterproof Casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorIIImd

Dec 4, 2006
How do you normally store your underwater casing? Do you normally remove all the O-rings?

Thanks a lot!

i dun think removing the o rings is a good idea cos they are easily lost plus they are greasy so its a hassle to store them else where. just keep the orings out of sun they spoil less easily i guess. grease also helps keep the o rings life longer..

I usually took out the O ring and placed them inside ziplock bag. I will then place the ziplock indside the casing and closed it...This way, they will not be misplaced...

I think its better to take the O ring out for storage as they night get over stretched or deformed...Also, apply a thin layer of grease before storage to retain its properties...

Thank you for the replies:)

Some people prefer removing the o-ring from the casing. Whereas for me, I prefer to leave it on the casing. However, I do not close the casing when it is not in use. This is to prevent unnecessary tension when not in use. :)

what i prefer is to always have the o-ring off, unless i'm going diving.

if you leave it on, its going to get stretched and takes on a fixed shape = doesn't seal as well = leak = OMFG! = ruined dive trip = sian...

also more likely to accumulate dirt, grime, hair, dust, sand when on the housing than in a ziploc.

also if you leave it on, seal the housing, and leave it in the sun, its likely that you will damage the housing.

YMMV!

still...i've seen divers who chuck the housing, o-ring and all into their dive bag with BP and regs which get stacked on by 20 other dive bags, and have no problem at all.

I usually took out the O ring and placed them inside ziplock bag. I will then place the ziplock indside the casing and closed it...This way, they will not be misplaced...
I think its better to take the O ring out for storage as they night get over stretched or deformed...Also, apply a thin layer of grease before storage to retain its properties...

i do this too, with the o-rings heavily greased.

Status
Not open for further replies.