storage of digital images on trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenWAYS

May 27, 2003
anyone have any good ideas on how to store large amounts of pictures when one is on the move ? eg.travelling aboard

7ways

well get a storage tank if not then more memory cards!

there are also pple who travel with only a card & burn them into CDs once the card is full. However, U can only do it if the country U are travelling to is as high tec (at least) as Singapore where CD burning is easily available.

If u self drive, just bring along a small notebook...

or borrow a Image Tank G2/X-drive II/Da Lite etc..

Originally posted by Retro
For me I just got a 1GB card, and borrow another 1 or 2 from friends :D

1GB card ????? sounds good
what brand is it and how much did u get it for ?

thanks
7ways

I got mine for slightly less than $400. It is a Transcend Ultra (30x) 1 GB CF (Type I)

The type II's are cheaper ~$380. You can check out the MO for good deals.

Originally posted by sevenWAYS
1GB card ????? sounds good
what brand is it and how much did u get it for ?

thanks
7ways

Though 1 GB Card sounds good but do take note that if yr computer can't take the stress, it might end up hanging itself.

FYI , I've got my Ridata 512MB at AP for S$ 210. Hence, 1 GB should be less that 2x the amt. ( i thhink so )

sorry to ask ..........
what is the max memory for smartmedia cards and XD cards ?

thanks alot

7ways

Smartmedia max. now is 128mb, xD is 256mb. 512mb xD is supposedly out, but not yet seen in Singapore.

Originally posted by sevenWAYS
sorry to ask ..........
what is the max memory for smartmedia cards and XD cards ?

thanks alot

7ways

Hi!
Are there any shops that sell the X'S Drive? I use memory sticks and the X'S drive seems like a very good solution for saving pics whilst on tour.

Or are there any better solutions? Thanks!

Regards,
Alvin

A few thots:

1. About XDrive pricing. i got my XDrive at storage studio, SLS. About $200, w/o HDD. i put a 40GB inside.

2. XDrive only accepts FAT (or was it FAT32?). It does not allow formatting of your HDD to NTFS. No big deal, i guess.

3. XDrive has no verification whatsoever. You don't know if all your data has been transfered or not, except 'guessing' by the amount of time it takes to transfer. Sometimes it just aborts, beeps for a while, and if you weren't paying attention, you'd think everything was copied and proceed to erase your card. :( You can kiasu abit and transfer a few times, BUT...

4. XDrive batteries last for 2 or 3 full transfers from 1GB microdrive b4 batt flat. This is important consideration for traveling, esp for things like island trips where electricity is not available. i read somewhere someone improvised something that can run e xdrive off AA batteries. i'm looking into it. Of course, your digicam may run out of juice before your xdrive does. :D

5. Xdrive is quite 'fragile', in that once you start copying, you have to let the guy sit still undisturbed until it finishes. You cannot, for example, press 'copy', stuff the whole thing in your bag and hope for the best. Mine aborted a few times when i did that on a zoo trip. One full copy takes 20-35 minutes (1GB). On some shoots, one may not have that luxury of sitting around.

6. CF/MDs can fail. On a tour/travelling, it really sucks. Always buy two, even if the combined capacity is cheaper. i use two 1GB microdrives. If you're getting 1GB, consider 2x 512MB; let the extra cost be 'insurance'.

7. i don't have the links right now, but there are other models which 'verify' what has been written. Some even do picture viewing, like the Ranger Portabin. However, if you are recording in RAW format, i don't think those portable picture viewers can read them. Someone w such a unit care to confirm? Those w verification and viewer are in the $400-$800 range. Cathay carries a few models, and a number of shops in SLS carry the Portabin (~$800)

8. i strongly recommend the laptop option for travelling. If your pictures are important, a laptop provides backup, viewing, possible offline storage like CD/DVD burning and even uploading home.

9. After you factor everything in, you may want to compare w film and see if it's less hassle/expense. ;) i had a friend who bought a film camera after a tour w his digicam.

HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.