Storage of Camera in Aussie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsz

Aug 14, 2006
hi i'm going over to australia to study next jan, i believe the humidity level there is lower than singapore.

so do i need to buy a dry cabi to store all my camera equipments or it will be ok if i just leave it on the table?

currently i store all my equipments except my flash now in my dry cabinet however if i were to go over it would be quite stupid to ship my dry cabi over, so anyone can advice me on this?

Where in Australia are you studying?? , Sydney can get humid during certain times of the year, though not anywhere near the extent in singapore. Melbournes winters can be rather cold and wet, thus mold and mildew can be a problem, have lost 2 lenses in melbourne dew to fungus over the winter periods :(

wherever you go long term, it's worth having a dry cabinet

alternative is dessicant gel and an airtight box. Cheap and easy solution. Just have to remember to change the gel regularly.

Say, about fungus in lenses. Can't it be repaired / removed by the service centre or something? Or is that really a death knell for lenses?

Last edited:
Stubborn fungus can't be removed.. that said, some lenses still can give good images with fungus.. But like they said, better to get a cabinet or min an air tight box with silicon gels....

One last thing, camera stuffs are very exp in australia so try and buy everything in SG.

i am currently in melbourne, most camera shops here do not even sell dry cabinets. i've tried asking many of the major stores. only alternative is to order online from overseas.

wherever you go long term, it's worth having a dry cabinet

What total and utter BS!

Keeping lenses in an environment that is too low in humidity results in the lubricants drying out. RTFM and you'll discover camera gear is best kept with an RH value of around 30-40%.

I've never had a dry cabinet in either Sydney or Perth and have NEVER had issues with fungus in the past 38 years. Store in a closet and with a good supply of fresh air and it's fine.

The ang moh from Hell

i've left my camera in the camera bag for the past 4 years and have yet to have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.