Storage of C5050Z UW Casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beivied

May 8, 2003
East, Singapore
Hi All...
CSers with underwater casings, how do you store your casing?
1. do you keep your casings shut tight? or do you leave it in the open state?

when i was using Canon A40, the instructions was to leave the casing in its open state, so that the o ring does not spoil under long term compressing. but the pt 015 came in a shut tight state.

2. did you buy a container meant to store your underwater casing? I always just leave it in the paper box that comes with it.

Take your O-ring out of the groove and store it in a small ziplock plastic bag. If it is not used for a long time, grease it before putting it away so it won't dry out. Storing it with the housing shut tight will deform your O-ring and reduce its ability to hold out the sea-water. It is not advisable to store with O-ring in the groove and locked tight. reduce the life or your O-ring.

BTW, don't use a knife or other sharp and hard object to remove the O-ring. If you knick the groove you increase the chance of flooding your camera. Also, wash off the O-ring after each dive trip.

hi toasty. thanks for the advice on the ziplock bag. ;) the rest i knew, but it serves well as a reminder.

about using a sharp object, when i was using canon a40's casing, i just push with two fingers and the o ring will come up. but for the c5050z casing, it is too fat and deep. they provided this pick which looks like a guitar pick. rather baffled why they provided such a pick in the first place, though they did warn not to use sharp objects. i never picked my o ring up like that. i find that awfully dangerous, but somehow i cannot just push it out like the way i did with my canon casing. any c5050 casing users able to do that? maybe i should try again. :(

My O-ring is not the original O-ring that came with my housing (PT-005). The new one is a little bit big for the groove, so it is quite easy for me to take it out. I had 3 friends buy the PT-010 from Paris silk, together with a C4000. I saw the O-rings were very snug in the groove, but with a bit of pressure using the fleshy part of the finger, it could be taken out without any tools. I've never used the guitar pick.

When we went to Layang Layang, their housings all flooded to different degrees. Some just had a droplet of water inside the housing, some accumulated water. It was quite lucky that none of them lost their cameras. None of us could figure out the reason for the floodings though. Quite baffling. Later some of them are still using these housings, none of them have yet lost their cameras.

My own housing also flooded early 2002, but it was my own fault, it cost me my camera too. Now I treat my O-rings with lots of TLC.

oh..... my ... god.... that never happened to my canon a40....

hai, i really cannot get the damn o rings out. i decide to leave it close the underwater casing but not tightly shut for now. put it in a plastic bag and the box first ....

Status
Not open for further replies.