Storage of Additional Lens: Standing or Lying?

Storage of Additional Lens: Standing or Lying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deathegg

Dec 4, 2010
Punggol
Since I am newbie, I would like to ask if there is any correct method of storing your precious lens.

My walkabout lens is currently mount on the body in the dry cabinet but how do you guys store your additional lens?

I am currently placing the lens standing up on it's bottom (the part connecting the body). Is it advisable?

I didn't place it lying down coz it will be resting on the focusing and zoom ring. And if I place it standing on its top (front lens area), I was paranoid that it may not be good for the zoom mechanism coz everytime you lift it, gravity seems to be "pulling" the lens out (unless there's zoom lock but not all lens have it).

So long your lens are secured while lying down (e.g. Wave foam) , there is no different storing it standing or lying...

For the record, I place my small primes lying down on wave foam and bigger (thicker) prime standing up.. For my Tele which is too thick and long... I place it into the padded bag it comes with and place it in the dry cabi.

Reactions: xdax45
Actually there isn't much different, but lying down will be better. In the dry cabinet still air, the fine dust inside will settle down on the side of the camera instead on the glass if not using for long.

Longer lenses lie down cause i got no space for the dry cabi to stand up. Otherwise smaller dudes stand on their mount(rear capped), and not on the front of the lenses. Might not be an issue for some, but lenses that extends a little from the focusing makes me uncomfortable that it might be excessive strain on the helicoids. Probably unfounded.

Ryab

Most dry cabinets come with a drawer design that leaves little doubt about the form of storing: laying down. The mat prevents rolling around. Additional lenses usually I put in upright standing, but on front element. Simply because that's the heavier part and also the wider part (diameter), providing a more stable standing position than standing on rear element / lens mount.

Doubt there is any difference in the orientation in storing the lens. As long the lens is stored in a cool and dry(~40% RH) place, i guess it's fine.

Deathegg said:
Since I am newbie, I would like to ask if there is any correct method of storing your precious lens.

My walkabout lens is currently mount on the body in the dry cabinet but how do you guys store your additional lens?

I am currently placing the lens standing up on it's bottom (the part connecting the body). Is it advisable?

I didn't place it lying down coz it will be resting on the focusing and zoom ring. And if I place it standing on its top (front lens area), I was paranoid that it may not be good for the zoom mechanism coz everytime you lift it, gravity seems to be "pulling" the lens out (unless there's zoom lock but not all lens have it).

Makes no difference. Of course have common sense, if say lens cg is on one side, don't put that side on top.. Rare though.

Long/zoom lens lying and short/prime lens standing. guess you should have one more option or both combination.

i got some standing some lying :X cos dry cabinet running out of space haha

lie down (more expensive lens)
35mm
135mm
17-40mm

stand up (less expensive lens)
90mm macro tamron
50mm f1.4 olympus

i got some standing some lying :X cos dry cabinet running out of space haha

lie down (more expensive lens)
35mm
135mm
17-40mm

stand up (less expensive lens)
90mm macro tamron
50mm f1.4 olympus

sigh...

those low income one must stand.. ;p

All the lenses are standing for me. My dry cabinet has standing room only.:(

Longer lenses lie down cause i got no space for the dry cabi to stand up. Otherwise smaller dudes stand on their mount(rear capped), and not on the front of the lenses. Might not be an issue for some, but lenses that extends a little from the focusing makes me uncomfortable that it might be excessive strain on the helicoids. Probably unfounded.

Ryab

Not the case for me. If my long lens can lay down, I wont have wasted so much space. My lense need to stand upright with all the tray of my 100L cabinet removed.:sweat: only have enough space left for 1 body and 2 shorter lenses.

Another cabinet to store the rest of the bodies and lenses.

One question... i do not have a Dry cabinet for my 3lenses and they are kept inside my cam bag. However my room is always kept at room temp with aircon. Does it means that my lens are safe from "moldy"?

josephlbt said:
One question... i do not have a Dry cabinet for my 3lenses and they are kept inside my cam bag. However my room is always kept at room temp with aircon. Does it means that my lens are safe from "moldy"?

I think temperature does not really play a part but it's more like the humidity. If your aircon room always have a source of water, e.g. glass of water etc, your lens will have the chance to grow fungi.

your bag is the perfect environment for fungi growth.

why? cos when ur bag got drenched from rain or other water sources, if not left to dry, water or moisture will be trapped in the bag.

personal experience:
i got a fren, who borrowed a cam + kit lens from another fren. i noticed that there is a fungi spot on the kit lens so i asked this fren whether her fren got keep the cam and lens in a dry cabi how come kana fungus. She told me, her fren borrowed the cam + lens to a female fren for months and that fren only kept the cam + lens in the bag thru out.

Morale of the story?
Save that $100+ on a dry cabinet = fungus growth

Rem, a bag is for transporting purpose not storing purpose.

Last edited: