Storage methods for pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelle

Mar 28, 2005
Singapore
Hi..how do u guys out there manage your pic files?
Do u save it as RAW formatt and just label it eg:
2005 korea june temple1
2005 korea june temple2 ...etc etc
or is there a software out there which effectively does this.
My sony lappy has a "picture gear studio" but it takes up quite a lot of memory, slows e lappy down and i cant really get e hang of using it. :dunno:

Any suggestions?
Thanx :)

photos are always stored on two forms, one on HDD, and another on DVD. if my HDD fills up i buy another! eheheh using those IDE to USB thingys to connect.

as for sorting... i use three broad catogories, since i shoot weddings mainly, there'll be three directories, "matrimonial", "other commercial" and "others", so all non-paid shoot all lump into others, be it travel or my gf, or my frens or watever lar.. ahha doesn't happen often, no time to shoot much.

each shoot will have it's only directory under one of those broad catogories. i will index it then date then description.

example: M065.310304.Tom_and_Jerry_AD

the index is so that i can sort it by name (which is dafault) and still keep it in chrono order.

as for file names, i leave it default. if i need to do a batch rename i use ACDSee and it'll be in running number.

i only shoot jpgs, never in RAW, not for an S2... ;p

well that's just my way.. eheh hope it helps.

thanx for e advice. :D
btw..is there a software i can use for easier viewing of e photos? sort of like an album thingy? :think:

kelle said:
thanx for e advice. :D
btw..is there a software i can use for easier viewing of e photos? sort of like an album thingy? :think:
alot of pple recommend irfanview... i personally use acdsee

u can search for these thru i dunno.. download.com or ur favourite d/l place.

i think irfanview is more popular cos it's totally free. acdsee i think it's shareware, or else it's like a full software now. i'm using super old version so was still in shareware stage?

good luck!

You can use the file browswer of Photoshop CS to batch rename etc also.

Most people will advise that you do a backup on CD/HDD on your originals (unedited, straight from memory card/camera) and then a second backup on your edited prints.

nemesis32 said:
You can use the file browswer of Photoshop CS to batch rename etc also.

Most people will advise that you do a backup on CD/HDD on your originals (unedited, straight from memory card/camera) and then a second backup on your edited prints.

hee..also new to PS so am still learning how to use it :embrass:
batch rename? :dunno: pls enlighten

but i think e stuff u can do on it is so cool... used e "wind" effect thingy on my photo for e advatar... loved it :D sooooo easy hehe...

ACDSee is the small program, very easy to rename pictures and you can use that software as a pic viewer also. And you can change the format of the pics using that ACDSee program as well.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Anybody tried Picasa? A small good program that will automatically catalog your photos as you copies them in to your hdd... :)

kelle said:
hee..also new to PS so am still learning how to use it :embrass:
batch rename? :dunno: pls enlighten

but i think e stuff u can do on it is so cool... used e "wind" effect thingy on my photo for e advatar... loved it :D sooooo easy hehe...

don't worry .. i'm also very new to PS .. haha ... just go read the help file ... they have very good step-by-step help on batch renaming in the help fild of photoshop ...

PS tips .. go borrow a pook on photoshop 7 or something ... they are VERY helpful (that is if your aim is to be a photoshopper not a photographer... but then again .. PS knowledge is very nice to have =P)

lOoKing U said:
Anybody tried Picasa? A small good program that will automatically catalog your photos as you copies them in to your hdd... :)

hi there :)
yup..me just download picasa... its really quite neat isn't it :D

Expiredyoghurt said:
don't worry .. i'm also very new to PS .. haha ... just go read the help file ... they have very good step-by-step help on batch renaming in the help fild of photoshop ...

PS tips .. go borrow a pook on photoshop 7 or something ... they are VERY helpful (that is if your aim is to be a photoshopper not a photographer... but then again .. PS knowledge is very nice to have =P)

hehe...went to e bk store today to investigate e bk..took one look at it and decided tat my time is better spent outdoors shooting things :D

but than again hoh...beginner as i am... prob need all e technological aids i can lay my hands on hoh... mmm... :think:

waiaung said:
ACDSee is the small program, very easy to rename pictures and you can use that software as a pic viewer also. And you can change the format of the pics using that ACDSee program as well.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:
yeah man!

wat version u use? i'm using ver4.. but i raed that ver 3 is still the best, fastest and no frills..

if i wanted frills, i have photoshop...

Status
Not open for further replies.