Storage for Overseas trip.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... if you are going for a looong Holiday, lets say 7 days and above.... and planning to takes lots of photos.

1) Bring 3-4-5 extra memory cards....

2) Bring a laptop.....

3) Bring a Digital Wallet.....

Which would you chose..... and why..... ;)

Ooh.... btw, anyone knows of a Digital Wallet that could support SDHC SD memory card ?? Which brand and model. Thxs. :D

My choice:

At the same time, depending where i'm at, will buy more cards if they are cheaper.

If i'm down to my last card, will find a digital shop and have them d/loaded and burned into DVDs.

i will bring a UMPC like my Kohjinsha, since it has 120GB and can view and edit photos in it using LightRoom and also surf at wireless hotspots.

My choice:

At the same time, depending where i'm at, will buy more cards if they are cheaper.

If i'm down to my last card, will find a digital shop and have them d/loaded and burned into DVDs.

True..... when the cost of Cards kept falling..... but I dislike the idea of bringing cards after cards. Btw..... don't think everywhere got digital photoshop for you to 'burn' CD.... ;)

i will bring a UMPC like my Kohjinsha, since it has 120GB and can view and edit photos in it using LightRoom and also surf at wireless hotspots.

Yeah..... UMPC is better that laptop due to its weight. But is it powerful enough to edit photos ?? I very much perfer Digital Wallet...... not to heavy to carry. But of course can't surf the web with.... hehehe ;p

Btw..... don't think everywhere got digital photoshop for you to 'burn' CD.... ;)
yah, if i'm going to some 3rd world country then surely will have to be self-sufficient. but for the usual places should not be a problem. the most 'ulu' place (at least to me lar... :p) i managed to get them d/l into DVDs was at Krabi at 120BHT. ;)

hehe i would bring my ext HDD casing with card reader to copy the files from cards everyday!

is that the digital wallet option u have?

I do believe memory cards are the safest alternative to keeping your images safe. Imagine dropping a harddisk, or lugging it around, sometimes, it's about being portable and light. When at night, you can also review your shots and delete those that aren't up to your satisfaction. Memory cards are dropping in prices too...

I would bring all 3. Digital wallet and cards will be with me. Laptop will be in the hotel for nightly downloads (I bring external hdd for backup as well). Depending on only one of the 3 options will be the biggest regret when you lose just that one source due to theft, data corruption, etc.

option 1 for me.

of course if you are able to do all 3 options that would be the best.

hehe i would bring my ext HDD casing with card reader to copy the files from cards everyday!

is that the digital wallet option u have?

I'm using Creative Zen Vision to act as both MP3/MP4 play cum portable HDD..... but it doesn't accept SDHC cards..... thats the problem. :(

I usually bring two, more than enough to cover a day's worth of shots

2) Bring a laptop.....

Too heavy for my liking. If only my traveling buddy brings one ...

I bought a Nexto OTG last year. Although it does not read SDHC cards, i got myself a portable USB SDHC card reader to plug it into the OTG. I leave the OTG hardisk in the hotel and return every night to empty the SD cards

The newer Nexto Multi-1 will read SDHC cards

Rgds
Ryan

I usually bring two, more than enough to cover a day's worth of shots

2) Bring a laptop.....

Too heavy for my liking. If only my traveling buddy brings one ...

I bought a Nexto OTG last year. Although it does not read SDHC cards, i got myself a portable USB SDHC card reader to plug it into the OTG. I leave the OTG hardisk in the hotel and return every night to empty the SD cards

The newer Nexto Multi-1 will read SDHC cards

Rgds
Ryan

Thxs Bro for the info..... how much did you pay for the Nexto OTG... and where ?? :D

Thxs Bro for the info..... how much did you pay for the Nexto OTG... and where ?? :D

I got it from Eastgear
I think that time i paid about 200 for the casing. I sourced the Hddisk seperately

Ryan

I brought a NEXTO to a 10 day trip too. Originally planned to download photos only from DSLR, in the end we took lots of videos on PnS and uploaded them too! Personally, I think OTG is the best choice, if you don't want a laptop.

Buy a good one, I got mine from EastGear. It's expensive ($218 for case), but would you save $100 and risk not taking photos back from your trip?

I had a bad experience overseas with an older Digimate that died on me while in the middle of a transfer ( the lousy batt indicator was full before the transfer ). Frustrated with the poor performance, the slow transfer, the lousy short batt life, i decided to invest in a better and more secure data storage option.

Nexto has some of the fastest transfer rates with longest batt lifespan.
The built of the Nexto was more durable than my frail and bulky Digimate. Never failed me so far.

Now the only other thing that can happen is the harddisk crashing :)

digimate would be a really good budget OTG if only they pack in some better battery and built... mine gone kaput and was replaced by a duper budget OTG, only cost me $35 excluding the HDD... transfer require usb cable to wateva camera. Speed ain't fast, only slightly faster than my digimate but at $35, i don care... the HDD serve as my portable HDD 99.9% of the time, only required when travelling. uses 4x AA batt on a external batt case which is provided.

Build wise, i guess it is close to nexto due to the full aluminium case tho not delicately made like most cheap $10 cases. :bsmilie:

Not sure about battery life, but does looks promising to me + the use of AA batt is a good point for replacement

I would suggest bringing just CF cards instead of a HDD or a laptop.

The CF card prices are going down, lighter and does not need power.

I treat the CF card like just a canister of film.

I've used the NextoCF and the Epson P2000 as a backup before for travelling. Nowadays, I just carry CF cards.

HTH.

My choice will be (1) -> (3) -> (2).

If you have means to get extra CF, that is the best policy but you might need a way to identify those "used" so that you do not format the wrong card.

I think if you take backup into consideration, you will need either 2) or 3) on top of enough 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.