Stopped by security guards while taking photos of buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
clokwerk oranje said:
sometime we have to see from the security guards POV...

they don't set the rules and regulations...

in most cases, the instructions and commands that they received could be ambiguous... so its better for them to err on the side of caution, othewise they could be the one in trouble...

i doubt that security guards are in this line for the power trip...

you will be surprised buddy..

clokwerk oranje said:
sometime we have to see from the security guards POV...

they don't set the rules and regulations...

in most cases, the instructions and commands that they received could be ambiguous... so its better for them to err on the side of caution, othewise they could be the one in trouble...

i doubt that security guards are in this line for the power trip...

Man you will be surprised. Most of them have got seriously nothing to occupy their time, so when there's an opportunity, they'll go for it. Usually i'll try to give them face, but sometimes they just need to be told off.

Oh btw, i was nearly stopped by the guards near the redlight backlanes at mustafa. Luckily i look too nerdy and like a tourist to get pounced on but i did get a shot of some ahbeng raising his hand to stop me taking photos.

You guys can try "drive-by shooting" :D .
No guns involved and its literally drive-by shooting. Got the wife/partner to drive the car and you in the passenger seat with lens and all, wind down the window, drive pass your intended target, snap snap snap, up the window, drive off.
Great adrenaline rush.

Hmmm...think Singapore has just become a very unfriendly place to take photo. Maybe is time to write into the ST forum. Now they are really chasing away the tourist.

So my State friend are telling the truth about his encounter at Millennium Walk when they took picture outside one of the candy shop and was chase away.:think:
Is the people there so sick to think that someone will actually do harm to there candy shop? Put bomb in the candy to blow out the mouth?:bsmilie: Ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Goodness! Do you have to take pics of something to blow it up? And do so in bright daylight too. How about copyrights? Are shop and building owners upset about business ideas being copied? In that case why advertise?

Next time if a guard stops you taking pictures get out a pen and paper and start sketching. No rules against that I bet.

next time pay attention... they never ever ask ang mo to stop shooting. :angry:

mountaintortisesg said:
a) this open compound is a private property, not public

Wah, private property and yet public can walk in, I like their excuse man...

Ha you guys got stopped in public places... my condo security guard even tried to stop me taking photos by the pool at night (nobody swimming anyway...place was deserted).

I got so pissed I told him to go f**k himself and watch the damn gate. If he and his team were so vigilant we won't have so many cases of people trespassing and using the facilities.

In my opinion, a lot of these guards are just wayang losers... do everything thing but the job they're paid to do. But in my case it was my own backyard... nothing the guard can do. Heck I'm his employer by proxy.

I was also stopped by a Tampines Mall security guard when I want to take pic
of my wife & girl with the CNY deco inside the mall.:bsmilie:

jus said:
My friend and I had encountered the security outside Singapore Indoor Stadium also... We tired to urgue tat The Indoor Stadium shld be a landmark of Singapore Why can't we take photos of it he just said tat it is the management policy and threaten to call the police if we continue to snap the building..

What a waste of $$$. Paid top $ to get Big name to design.
Tell the public how nice, how user friendly, an icon in this
part of the world and then DONT allow take photo!
Imagine no one allow to take photo of the merlion, the
"durian" or city hall.:dunno:

mountaintortisesg said:
I have 2 bad experiences while taking photos outdoor, being stopped by security guards

1) Inland Revenue House
Was impressed by the round fountain, so thinking to take a photo. Immediately the security guard appeared and said "no photogrpahy allowed". So I just left.

2) Millennium Walk
At the open compound of Millennium Walk, where there are a few colourful sculptures and a wall water fountain there. While happily taking few portrait shots with the scultpures and fountain as background, again the security guard appeard and said "no photography allowed". This time, I was so pissed off. So I questioned the guard and his supervisor and their answer was
a) this open compound is a private property, not public
b) it is a policy set by their management
c) their tenants are very concerned and don't feel easy when they see people taking photographs of the buildings

But one thing I don't quite understand. If no photography is allowed, why don't they put up a sign outside ? If I see that sign, of course I would be very happy to comply. I questioned the supervisor and he said he would feedback to their management. Morever, I am taking not taking for commercial use.

So where is consider public and where is consider private ? I am quite confused and puzzled.

Anybody encountered this type of experience before ?

Ha.....was stop by the shop people at Millennium Walk, the shop selling candy. I was outside somemore but pointing my camera into the shop.:p Nabei...swear will never bring anyone there to buy thing and will never go Millennium Walk to do shopping anymore. :sticktong

a)Wa outside also cannot huh..might as well close the whole building wtf.
b)wonder how truth is that?
c)now the tenants got more said than the management liao huh. Next thing the wanton noodle tenants said must put on tie and coat if not also not comfortable how..TCSS la:sticktong

Close the whole damn place down la...if not put security everywhere and check every damn bags for camera phone and camera lor..nabei. What a stupid place. Pui..Will not eat, shop, tour, drink, walk or go there anymore. (must kiss all the pub there goodbye liao):sweat: Pui...:bsmilie:

trlnlty said:
you will be surprised buddy..

shojibake said:
Man you will be surprised. Most of them have got seriously nothing to occupy their time, so when there's an opportunity, they'll go for it. Usually i'll try to give them face, but sometimes they just need to be told off.

so both of you been security guards before? with first hand experience of what the job entails?

it all boils down to interaction, abt giving mutual respect...

i'm no angel, on a few occassions in the past, i've been pretty harsh to the guards that my company engaged for our premises... and these guards don't even come under my dept's charge...

they've received complains from all sides... from every depts in my company, to visitors and vendors... and some, if not most, of the complains result from the actions these guards took from the strict and harsh orders they received from us... my 2cts, for what its worth...

fiftybucks said:
next time pay attention... they never ever ask ang mo to stop shooting. :angry:
Dye ur hair blonde, put on blue contact lens and speak in a foreign tongue. U might get lucky. ;p

jsbn said:
Dye ur hair blonde, put on blue contact lens and speak in a foreign tongue. U might get lucky. ;p
So far, its strange. But I'd never been stopped when taking photos, be it in MRT Stations (yes, ur archilles heel. I believe many had been stopped), shopping malls, etc.

Perhaps I dun look threatening enuff with my tired looks. Or perhaps its my 'shoot it once, shoot it good and no retakes' that make me less intimidating.

donchua said:
I was also stopped by a Tampines Mall security guard when I want to take pic
of my wife & girl with the CNY deco inside the mall.:bsmilie:

wah lao tat's a big CNY joke by the TM management :thumbsup:

I would like to add about my experience too!

Think it was about 6mths or so ago, me and my gf were stopped from taking pics outside Raffles Hotel! We were near the pavement already! The guard came and stopped us, told us no tripod allowed..so I said handheld can? He said yes. I'm was like wtf?! We just packed up and left. Mood was ruined! It was my 1st stop of the evening somemore.

I don't know but some guards are over zealous over small things!

This is the part when I agree with the Taiwanese guy saying 'some' Singaporeans are stupid. I have been a 'victim' of ignorance and racism from security guards/police officers whenever I am shooting in 'public' places. Many times the guards would stop me just because I am brown but they never would stop the ang moh.

I bet they're thinking inside their bloody heads, "Oh he's a tourist, so its ok, but that brown man looks like a very brown and very singaporean so must tell him not to shoot. Easier mah. But must show to foreigners that we're nice people."

So yeah, its not an easy job being a guard or a law-enforcer, but that doesnt mean its ok to make to make silly assumptions. Sometimes, those guards come up with their own laws and rules and claim "management from the top" says so. I often ask who and what are their names. They normally dont know. Pfft.

I was stopped by a bunch of strangers who claims to be working for PUB at the Pandan Reservoir the other night for shooting the night skies. I asked them to show their pass as proof and they confidently said they didnt need to. They said I wasnt allow to shoot the reservoir for commercial purposes. I told them I wasnt doing this for commercial purposes but purely for hobby. He told me to leave immediately or he would call the police. I gladly told him to go ahead and call the police while I enjoy shooting the night scene in peace.

Surpisingly, the police didnt even turn up and I was there for more than two hours shooting peacefully. Sometimes, I wonder if everything in singapore is just a big joke. LOL!

lurgee said:
Think it was about 6mths or so ago, me and my gf were stopped from taking pics outside Raffles Hotel! We were near the pavement already! The guard came and stopped us, told us no tripod allowed..so I said handheld can? He said yes. I'm was like wtf?! We just packed up and left.

hahaha.. tat's a big joke by the guard... freehand = ok.. tripod = no ok.. :bsmilie:

hazmee said:
I was stopped by a bunch of strangers who claims to be working for PUB at the Pandan Reservoir the other night for shooting the night skies. I asked them to show their pass as proof and they confidently said they didnt need to. They said I wasnt allow to shoot the reservoir for commercial purposes. I told them I wasnt doing this for commercial purposes but purely for hobby. He told me to leave immediately or he would call the police. I gladly told him to go ahead and call the police while I enjoy shooting the night scene in peace.

Surpisingly, the police didnt even turn up and I was there for more than two hours shooting peacefully. Sometimes, I wonder if everything in singapore is just a big joke. LOL!

they r fakes lah... all government sector pple hv to show their passes if requested by the public in carrying out their duties.. even policeman have to show their pass if required to.. if they don't show u shd call the police rite away.. tat will scare their ass off! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.