Stop the "so called" 3Rs and environment campaigns and competitions

Stop the "so called" 3Rs and environment campaigns and competitions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youhong

Dec 30, 2004
Before the environmentalist and all start flaming me, allow me to share one event I've been to not too long ago...

It was a major event - a "chingay-liked" parade where participants make floats and parade during the event. The event also aims to promote being environmental friendly by practising the 3Rs - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. The materials of the floats, costumes and props of the performancers should be done based on the 3Rs principles.

The event sounded like a very meaningful one. However, after the event left a whole ton of rubbish lying around the compound - most likely even more than what the recycled materials the participants collected. After the prize presentation, most of the participants only remember to bring their own floats and props back leaving the rubbish behind for the cleaners to clear away for them while the supporters went off. Only a few participants/supportors (most likely less than 10%) helped with the cleaning up. The VIPs and judges failed to see that, unfortunately.

Talking about the materials used, I highly doubted that they are truely made from collected recycled materials because the materials are in a condition that looked too good to be wastes and the quanities of the materials are amazing. While I do not have any evidence that the "supposedly to be recycled" materials are actually being purchased, it does raise my doubts.

While the intention of having this campaigns and competitions are good to encourage people to practise the 3Rs and be more environmental friendly, typical Singaporeans with the "Kiasu" genes sees the "must win and cannot lose" more important than the actual meaning of the event itself.

If these events cause more damage than really helped to conserve the enviroment, then I think that we really shouldn't have these type of events.

Added poll question: Are such events really helpful in conserving the environment or causing more damage?

Last edited:
It would be a lot more impactful if you posted a HUGE picture showing the aftermath of rubbish left uncleared, with a large sign of the event in the BG. :bsmilie:

Youhong said:
While the intention of having this campaigns and competitions are good to encourage people to practise the 3Rs and be more environmental friendly, typical Singaporeans with the "Kiasu" genes sees the "must win and cannot lose" more important than the actual meaning of the event itself.

if the event you are referring to is what i have in mind.. I don't think the motivation behind the long-standing event is really Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.. It started out as an appreciation to the public for their donations ... but in today's times .. its really more of a "tradition" ...

You really need to be part of the event to understand the effort some of these people put into their floats and performance.. its really a lot a lot of hard work and dedication.. Go up close to any floats and you will see the attention to details is amazing..

I can never understand how these guys do it.. putting in so many months of effort just for one day..but I truly respect them

Youhong said:
The event sounded like a very meaningful one. However, after the event left a whole ton of rubbish lying around the compound - most likely even more than what the recycled materials the participants collected. After the prize presentation, most of the participants only remember to bring their own floats and props back leaving the rubbish behind for the cleaners to clear away for them while the supporters went off. Only a few participants/supportors (most likely less than 10%) helped with the cleaning up. The VIPs and judges failed to see that, unfortunately.

Youhong said:
If these events cause more damage than really helped to conserve the enviroment, then I think that we really shouldn't have these type of events.

At least like you said, the participants remember to bring their own floats and props back. Are the rubbish you referring to created by the participants? Or the spectators and supporters? Take a look at big events like NDP and Chingay.. are we going to stop these events just because of the tonnes of rubbish left behind after each Chingay or National Day parade? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I admire your love for the environment, and i am sure you helped to cleanup the rubbish after the event too? :) Anyway.. :thumbsup: for your considerations towards the environment..

It would be a lot more impactful if you posted a HUGE picture showing the aftermath of rubbish left uncleared, with a large sign of the event in the BG. :bsmilie:

U very polite. NPNT! :bsmilie:

Its like that la. Sometimes, its just all talk and for show only. In racing sports, F1 have a team Honda that raced with earth colours last year. The msg is suppose to be environment friendly. But think about it, F1 is probably 1 of the more environment unfriendly sport and yet they are racing.

But then, sometimes must 'spend' a little to gain more. If the msg get thru, then is worth it. If not, then its just a waste of time, money and materials.

damn crap to release xxxx helium filled balloons to in the air right at the launch directly after mentioned that the floats are made of recycled/recycable materials.

i'd rather the scrap the tradition and do something else in the future. Miss Universe had its time etc, this 'float' thing should move on!! Hundreds and thousands of hours of youth not well spent.

if the event you are referring to is what i have in mind.. I don't think the motivation behind the long-standing event is really Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.. It started out as an appreciation to the public for their donations ... but in today's times .. its really more of a "tradition" ...

You really need to be part of the event to understand the effort some of these people put into their floats and performance.. its really a lot a lot of hard work and dedication.. Go up close to any floats and you will see the attention to details is amazing..

I can never understand how these guys do it.. putting in so many months of effort just for one day..but I truly respect them

At least like you said, the participants remember to bring their own floats and props back. Are the rubbish you referring to created by the participants? Or the spectators and supporters? Take a look at big events like NDP and Chingay.. are we going to stop these events just because of the tonnes of rubbish left behind after each Chingay or National Day parade? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I admire your love for the environment, and i am sure you helped to cleanup the rubbish after the event too? :) Anyway.. :thumbsup: for your considerations towards the environment..
I am not discrediting the organiser's effort of promoting environmental awareness. There are definitely some positive action from them such as the "pay extra for carrier bag" and the printing of double side in the CBLCs etc.

As I comb through the area after all the prize presentation, I manage to salavage and observe many interesting things. One of which is the Emcee script. Others include several brand new pens, cans of un-opened coffee from the guest seating area etc...

Today, we are proud to have 11 floats from the Faculty Clubs and 6 floats from the Halls of Residence. To evaluate how well they have used their creativity and worksmanship in reusing and recycling, we have with us a panel of distinguished judges.
2 out of 6 judges are in environment related committees.

Whether it was the participants themselves or the supporters and spectators themselves littered the place does not make any differences since they are either from the same faculty or hall, and most likely they are also the ones constructing the floats? I see them as a whole group.

I felt sad for the organisers and also the efforts in promoting the environmental awareness was not very successful as they did not really educate the people to more environmental friendly and the event itself had induced more rubbish to be generated.

As I comb through the area after all the prize presentation, I manage to salavage and observe many interesting things. One of which is the Emcee script. Others include several brand new pens, cans of un-opened coffee from the guest seating area etc...

wah, next time got lobang PM me. i can do with free drinks & stationaries. ;p from here on can even have a spin-off campaign called "scavanger program"! :cool:

well was about to make a snide remark but decided not to.

then again, many of these 'environmentalists' have an interesting sense of righteousness than taking a more objective stand on things. i think they should weigh the pros and cons of certain activities. who knows. it might cost a load of pollutive fuel (truck) just to collect 1 load of recyclable stuff which has to be sorted (takes energy), and all that reprocessing etc.

instead of having such polls online, why don't you write to the ST forums or even submit an official signed petition? i believe you'll better response from the relevant authorities

welll the usual... got activity for schools to increase student's workload.... well.... many good years ahead lah. ;)

last year's earth day (or was it this year) celebration had this same problem, and its the same all over the world.

nothing wrong with the organizers good intend, problems lies with the participants and audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.