Stop by Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimlee

Jan 23, 2005
Lavender
Hi to all,

I was taking photograph at some artwork display at the esplanade main hall with my DSLR and the security came by and asked me why am i taking multiple shot of artwork.

They told me that only people with DSLR or "Big camera with tripod" taking photo has to sign some papers... and PNS camera no need... strange...?

They want to know what i am going to use it for.

What i wanted to know:

1) Artwork on display: What can i do with the picture i have taken... can i use it for some contest? Is there a breach of copyright here?

Thank you all in advance.

Wayang lah.. Must be their supervisor watching them, so they just whack anyone.

It is a joke, photography is also consider Art, then how come we cannot do Photography in the esplanade which is the art centre of Singapore?????
:dunno:

Aiyah, they must be afraid of terrorist blowing up their quarter billion dollar building... Thats why they are so anal about people taking photographs.

was stopped before. you can take pictures of the art pieces on exhibition, but not of the buiding architecture itself.

candy said:
was stopped before. you can take pictures of the art pieces on exhibition, but not of the buiding architecture itself.

The security only stop people aimed with a DSLR, SLR and tripod. This is what i was told. Can only take a few shot with SLR, but PNS camera not limit...

Can anyone give me some pointers on this question?

1) Artwork on display: What can i do with the picture i have taken... can i use it for some contest? Is there a breach of copyright here?

Kimlee said:

depending on how you have taken the picture. a well taken picture of say, the painting 'Mona Lisa' may be capitalised by the person who took it, given available technology he/she can make poster prints of the masterpiece and sell them. i am not sure of the law here but i believe such actions may already have copyright issues involved.

on the other hand, from the photography point of view, what is your purpose of taking the picture of the artwork? anyone could have simply made a snapshot of a beautiful piece of artwork, but that may not a beautiful piece of photography work. when you photograph the artwork are you simply making a visual record of it or, with your photography skills, conveying to your audience the context, spirit or other issues relating to the artwork. in a photography contest it's the beauty of the photography work that wins.

eikin said:
depending on how you have taken the picture. a well taken picture of say, the painting 'Mona Lisa' may be capitalised by the person who took it, given available technology he/she can make poster prints of the masterpiece and sell them. i am not sure of the law here but i believe such actions may already have copyright issues involved.

on the other hand, from the photography point of view, what is your purpose of taking the picture of the artwork? anyone could have simply made a snapshot of a beautiful piece of artwork, but that may not a beautiful piece of photography work. when you photograph the artwork are you simply making a visual record of it or, with your photography skills, conveying to your audience the context, spirit or other issues relating to the artwork. in a photography contest it's the beauty of the photography work that wins.

of course, its not painting. How about scrupture? Taking the scrupture from a different angle... Does that means i copy his original artwork?

Kimlee said:
of course, its not painting. How about scrupture? Taking the scrupture from a different angle... Does that means i copy his original artwork?

it's not about copying ... more about how you interpret the artwork (the sculpture in this case) within it's environment as a photographer

eikin said:
it's not about copying ... more about how you interpret the artwork (the sculpture in this case) within it's environment as a photographer

Does this means that the rights to the photograph belongs to me? Or it still belongs to the sculptor?

Kimlee said:
Does this means that the rights to the photograph belongs to me? Or it still belongs to the sculptor?

hmm... you'll have to consult the legal experts here :)

I guess every piece of works have its own copy right just like photographers' copyright.

ie, companies paid designer to design the building, they have the copy right. The company can sue the designer if they see any building in the world with even 1% of similarity. NO ONE KNOWS anyone engage a photographer to take picture as a reference to build something even better than the current top noch building, be it internal or external. Eternal, of course, no one can stop them, u can use a 1000mm lens from one building to shoot another building.... compact camera doesn't have the strenght of a DSLR especially with tripod, so they don't really bother how many picture a compact camera take. do u like to see a s'pore building in maybe China or the States?? or a building in Japan can be seen in S'pore??

Same goes to painting, if u took a picture, u don't have to BUY the painting anymore.... the value of the pictures will go down. "SPARE the artist"....

for photos on the web, same issue, it's good to watermark your picture, if not, others may use YOUR picture for competition or sell your work, u will never know.

hope i have answer most questions..... :think:

Kimlee said:

photo will still remain as your copyright....

Kimlee said:

well, there are low paid artist around to copy others work as a living.... anyone produce the picture for them, they can get the SIMILIAR work out of their hands.... hences, the original work of the artist will go down..... JUST LIKE PIRATED stuff.....

We can't stop, but we can prevent....

paiseh i have to OT here ...

photo_kbc said:
companies paid designer to design the building, they have the copy right. The company can sue the designer if they see any building in the world with even 1% of similarity.

that's definitely not the case as far as i know, there are so many 'copycat' buildings out there ... i believe the designer you referring to is the architect

photo_kbc said:
well, there are low paid artist around to copy others work as a living.... anyone produce the picture for them, they can get the SIMILIAR work out of their hands.... hences, the original work of the artist will go down..... JUST LIKE PIRATED stuff.....

We can't stop, but we can prevent....

copying or replication of artwork is a dimension within art itself, unlike software piracy, the artists who replicate a master's work cannot be looked upon as doing something illegal

I think there is a mistake here on copyright reply from photo kbh.

If you take a picture of a painting or another photographer's print - you the copying or image replicating person has no copy rigths on what you have just taken. Why you have not create any thing. Use that picture in any way where there is money changing hands and you are in copy right violation the copy right hold can go after you for damages.

StreetShooter said:
Say thanks for informing, walk away, come back with a P&S.

hmm ... i'll say 'thanks for informing,' keep the slr and take out my PnS on the spot :bsmilie:

this appears to have been discussed before. anyway short answer, it is not copyright infringement to take a photograph of a sculpture. Eikin's answer is misleading.

and, taking a photograph of a painting is not the same as taking a photograph of a sculpture and is not an apt analogy.

Kimlee said:

Status
Not open for further replies.