Stompers vs photographers

Would stomper jeopardise our credibility as a photographer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
As a photographer, photography is our hobby or our rice bowl, but with stompers publishing such photos in the internet, would that jeopardise our credibility as a photographer? Imagine if you have one of those long zoom lens like a 70-200 lens attached to your DSLR, what would the public think of you? Another stomper at work? :dunno:

As highlighted in other forums, could this be one of the reason why sometimes, the public can be quite hostile to photographers when they see the camera pointing in their direction, be it DSLR or P&S?

Like to hear your views.

--------------

20090331.231321_stompseen_rotator.jpg

Public censure could not restrain them, the disapproving stares of onlookers did not curb their passion. However, camera phones and the Internet seem to have effectively deterred couples from displays of affection in public. -AsiaOne

Tue, Mar 31, 2009
AsiaOne

By Chew Hui Min

Public censure could not restrain them, the disapproving stares of onlookers did not curb their passion.

But camera phones and the Internet seem to have effectively deterred couples from public displays of affection (PDA).

The latest photos to have hit Stomp were of a couple who were behaving extremely intimately in the swimming pool of their condominium in Bukit Timah.

The reader who took their pictures on Mar 27 said in an email to Stomp:

"The couple seems to be enjoying their daytime making out in the pool. They thought that everyone would be busy at work or school, and that no one would be around to catch them in the act.

"Well...you should think again before you do such things in a public area.

"And some advice, try to do it away from the CCTV."

Good advice perhaps.

Eight in 10 fear being filmed in public

After a slew of explicit videos on the Internet filmed in places ranging from playgrounds, condo pools to East Coast breakwaters, eight out of 10 couples interviewed by Lianhe Wanbao said that they would think twice before being affectionate in public.

In addition, some said that they were more wary of being caught eating in the MRT train, not giving up their seats or unwittingly 'exposing themselves'.

Ms Ang, a 28-year-old admin executive said she did not dare pick up the phone when she drove because she did not want to be caught talking on the phone while driving.

"We should have rights to our own images, or privacy laws to protect us," she told Wanbao.

Then there are those who happily expose themselves, upload clips and boast of their exploits in blogs and forums, like Gary Ng - Singapore's "Edison Chen".

The speed at which his posts have spread is mind-boggling on one hand, and yet so predictable - because it is simply human nature.

Do most of us really want to see amateurish videos and badly taken photos of normal, naked people in unsavoury positions? Perhaps not that much.

But google and ogle we did, because it was just one or two clicks away.

In one Singlish word, it's called being "kaypoh" - and now that information is practically ubiquitous, we can all indulge our curiosity in private, and with much greater ease.

Netizens react

While some bemoan such "immoral" behaviour, readers have also written in our forums to say that there's nothing wrong with behaving intimately in public places.

Some question the motives of the readers who uploaded these videos, warning the ladies to "beware of Peeping Toms", and there are even those who complain that the photos are not explicit enough.

So, will you click here to see the photos of the indiscreet couple in the pool?

Whichever type of voyeur you are, or even if you are not one at all, you probably have company.

Last edited:
With regard to the report...
What the couple was doing was really wrong.

But STOMP is really a crap website with lots of really shallow and meaningless reports. They do it most prob to generate web traffic to get sponsership. Sooo...in a biz sense, they are doing great.

With regard to 'aspiring' photographers (i.e most of us)..

Some of us dont even have the basic ethics when it comes to shootings and we derserve to be 'slammed'. Its just a matter of time that some of us get into trouble or photography starts getting banned in many places.

Oh well..

Regards

Stomp will definitely have an impact public's view on ppl holding cameras. At least my senses have been heightened since I gotten into a habit of visiting Stomp :bsmilie:

* btw PDA is wrong la ..

The only difference is we make shots to make them look beautiful.
Stompers make shots to uglify and stir s**t

Ryan

I would say to the one who took this shot - Nice capture. The right place at the right time.. :)

Would not go the same for the couple.

You would not know when someone is just SMS'ing on their phone or using the camera features of their handphone. Bottomline, the handphone is the culprit to all the stomp pictures.. lol :)

Instead of improving society, Stomp is gonna bring the society down with bo liao and intrusive pple.

P.S. Not saying that the couple was right either.

People are wary of the simple intrusion into their lives.

Now I didn't follow the article in the news...but PDA is not wrong, its a natural expression of "being together" and is a good thing for a relationship to stay healthy.

Having sex in public (if they went that far) is maybe not the best of ideas...but while we condemn the couple what about the person who was so indignant about the whole thing, he watched long enough to go get his camera then take lots of shots of the action...

So who is guilty, the pda couple or the peeping-tom with the camera?

People are wary of the simple intrusion into their lives.

Now I didn't follow the article in the news...but PDA is not wrong, its a natural expression of "being together" and is a good thing for a relationship to stay healthy.

Having sex in public (if they went that far) is maybe not the best of ideas...but while we condemn the couple what about the person who was so indignant about the whole thing, he watched long enough to go get his camera then take lots of shots of the action...

So who is guilty, the pda couple or the peeping-tom with the camera?

i have to agree with u. making out in public may be distasteful but being a voyeur is worse. :thumbsd:

i think most of us here still has a basic respect on how to shoot and what not to shoot.

Photographers are photographers.

Those stompers are just nosy citizens who just have some gadget that happen to be able to make pictures.

Stomp will definitely have an impact public's view on ppl holding cameras. At least my senses have been heightened since I gotten into a habit of visiting Stomp :bsmilie:

* btw PDA is wrong la ..

But where to draw a line? image if a stomper is against prostitution, you were at the wrong place and wrong time, let say holding your wife's hand at Geylang while crossing a busy road, and your picture was captured and uploaded to Stomper, and made irresponsible comments about the picture.

Could such a incident happen in stomper? and what could we do about it?

Last edited:
I am a STOMPer and a photographer myself.

From my knowledge, most of the photos which are posted are taken using handphone cameras.

For photographers, we use the lens not to take photos of such gossips.

That's all I can say.

Quite apt. May I add that Stompers are an annoyance like mosquitoes? I find them most irritating.
agree. i mean, other than be intrusive just to bring out the bad side of singaporeans or foreigners in singapore, stompers also makes everyone thinks that street photographer must be one of them. yes stompers bring shame to them for being rude or insensible in public, also stompers bring troubles to street photographer. how sad.

I am ok as long as they don't intruding other people's privacy or chasing after you for commercial reason....like those paparazi :sweat:

never liked that site. i think it bloody encourages bad behaviours in singaporeans...small thing kpkb, small thing stomp, small thing complain. Brains becomes useless coz everything just stomp, dun even think of right channels to solve some of the problems.

never liked that site. i think it bloody encourages bad behaviours in singaporeans...small thing kpkb, small thing stomp, small thing complain. Brains becomes useless coz everything just stomp, dun even think of right channels to solve some of the problems.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think normally if ppl not happy with getting their photo taken, they won't care u have what credibility etc. If I making out with girlfriend and I get snapped, u think I care if its a stomper wanting to b!tch about it or some famous pro wanting to capture the moment of passion? Last time no internet no stomp I believe u anyhow go take street photo ppl will also "buay song" u loh. The issue will always be there lah, we'll just have to deal with it.

This issue is reminiscence of vigilante problem. Where do you draw the line between being responsible citizen and being just plain thugs? Or the science of genetics where the original idea is to help in disease treatment but will eventually be abused to make a 'better' human?

I think Stomp is the same - started off with good intentions but degenerate with time.

But thinking back. Doesn it make one more mindful of doing stupid things in public erh ..

I think Stomp is the same - started off with good intentions but degenerate with time.

Agreeable. But decadence and degenerate can be so fun to read at times. .

If you ask me, STOMP simply proves that reader-based interactive media is an epic failure.

I mean, just look at the junk some people put up! :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.