Stomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesmun18

Dec 20, 2005
Saw this:
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/Gallery15.aspx

Most of the photos were taken without permission, and post online. Also, they all recieved bad comments.

My question is: Are we allow to do so?

Also from some of the comments quote this:

Article extracted from the New Paper dated 19 Mar 2006

While it may not necessarily be an offence to take a photograph of another person, you could find yourself in trouble if the photos taken, and the manner in which they were taken, are found to be offensive. INTRUSION Lawyer Anand Nalachandran said: 'If, for example, a man takes a photo of a woman's cleavage, it may constitute an offence. 'It may be considered to be intruding upon the privacy of a woman and as such insulting her modesty.' In such a case, the offender can be jailed for up to one year and fined. Last December, a man was jailed for a month because he used his handphone video camera to film a woman from under her skirt at a Popular Bookstore in Eunos.

What do you think?

I think Stomp's main selling point is it encourages the public to snap shots like these and send them in. Kind of a "citizen's arrest" of behaviour deemed wrong in our society. And Stomp is under Straits Times and under the Goverment... So who are you going to take legal action against?

What a great site! Hopefully, it'll shame people into being more considerate of others.

the ugly side of singapore..i mean the motive of people who took those picture..

it is like back to old china communist culture!! expose the ugly, and that's mean i am good!!!

It is a smart move by the government. No need to spend money on enforcing rules, now you have the citizens do it for you!

the ugly side of singapore..i mean the motive of people who took those picture..

it is like back to old china communist culture!! expose the ugly, and that's mean i am good!!!

It doesn't say that at all to me.

But it is a good tool to teach people a lesson in manners. They won't learn otherwise. Nothing seems to get into their thick cro-magnon skulls.

How many courtesy and anti-littering campaigns has the govt mounted over the decades? Have they worked? At best with marginal success.
Why? Because of a number of recalcitrant citizens (not just a few)who refuse to mind their manners in public.

Why do we still have people throwing their snot on the ground, spitting, digging for gold in public and then smearing the contents on things like bus/mrt handles and poles in 2006 in Singapore?

Why do people still have to step through spit mindfields in housing estates? Why do people still deface public areas during the 7th month with indiscriminate burning of paper and inscense?

Cheapo tactics employed by ST!!! :thumbsd:
Those 'reporter photograhers' wanna-be will provide those photos free to STOMP!
Next time all the real reporter will get lost liao....ST can cut cost liao....rite?

Cheapo tactics employed by ST!!! :thumbsd:
Those 'reporter photograher' swanna-be will provide those photos free to STOMP!
Next time all the real reporter will get lost liao....ST can cut cost liao....rite?

They, the 'reporter photograher' provide wrong information. Yet stomp publish it. Seriously, are they web-hit-count-whore? Or just want attention?

Although I don't agree with it, it makes good business sense on the part of ST.
They get free pictures and more news because of human's inherent need of wanting attention, any attention.

Does anyone honestly think that the general public will change just because of this website?
People will change when they want to change. Having more surveillance doesn't mean that everyone suddenly becomes good, it just means they get better at hiding the ugly bits or getting more repressed in one way or another.

It doesn't say that at all to me.

But it is a good tool to teach people a lesson in manners. They won't learn otherwise. Nothing seems to get into their thick cro-magnon skulls.

How many courtesy and anti-littering campaigns has the govt mounted over the decades? Have they worked? At best with marginal success.
Why? Because of a number of recalcitrant citizens (not just a few)who refuse to mind their manners in public.

Why do we still have people throwing their snot on the ground, spitting, digging for gold in public and then smearing the contents on things like bus/mrt handles and poles in 2006 in Singapore?

Why do people still have to step through spit mindfields in housing estates? Why do people still deface public areas during the 7th month with indiscriminate burning of paper and inscense?

Hi Tetrode, i like others to behave and not doing something that annoyed others in public too..

But can Stomp help to change it? or actually just pass the rights and abusing powers to layman? it is like you simply ask someone to be police and they start to do in their way..

Look at the stomp post, one poster just post a couple photo and accusing them to block his way to MRT. So who is more evil? the couple just block your way, but you take their photo and post it on the internet and give them description and yet we don't get to hear the side of stories?

Nowadays, everyone scream it is my right, it is free speech..they use it as an excuse that their selfish act..

we all are learning how to handle new things, nowadays if you had misbehave in public, you could be condemned or humiliated with a clip in youtube..

I read there was a hk actress that pant got pulled down during a charity stunt, and the clip had been uploaded to youtube for numerous view..

as long as the newspaper got more people to read, the website got more visits, the rest isn't important, moral put one side, and usually the editor behind a website like stomps, are graduate just fresh out of school, having their own opinion, is a new generation people, not old-fashioned... media is a teaching tool, but yet people who manage it doesn't have own calibration tool..

we all are learning how to handle new things, nowadays if you had misbehave in public, you could be condemned or humiliated with a clip in youtube..

That is very scare and not to forget, rude. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.