Stolen Item from Hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahrulesa

Dec 2, 2006
Happen to me this weekend in Singapore. Someone took my Canon 580EX II. It was in my Think Tank Lightning Fast - they guy probably thought I keep money or hand phone in it :( Reported to the hotel staff and they can't find the culprit, so ended up lodging a police report.
Now dunno what's going to happen. Just wondering any of you have any thoughts about this issue - comments, experience, without dwelling too much on what happened to me since the investigation is still on.

What hotel?

Report police giving them the serial number, so can have some chance to track the person down if he/she try to sell it off.

Or post the serial number here, so that ppls in CS can take note too when they buy from B&S.

Happen to me this weekend in Singapore. Someone took my Canon 580EX II. It was in my Think Tank Lightning Fast - they guy probably thought I keep money or hand phone in it :( Reported to the hotel staff and they can't find the culprit, so ended up lodging a police report.
Now dunno what's going to happen. Just wondering any of you have any thoughts about this issue - comments, experience, without dwelling too much on what happened to me since the investigation is still on.
Have you checked if the hotel had cameras in the corridors leading to your room? And if they have, whether they have really looked at the video recordings?

I was staying at the hotel. It's in Orchard next to cineleisure. They checked the elevator cam and confirmed that I brought the item back to the room but still investigating on who might have taken it out from the room. Seems that the corridor cam is not giving them clear enough pictures - sound like BS to me actually.

I was staying at the hotel. It's in Orchard next to cineleisure. They checked the elevator cam and confirmed that I brought the item back to the room but still investigating on who might have taken it out from the room. Seems that the corridor cam is not giving them clear enough pictures - sound like BS to me actually.

meritus mandarin? :bigeyes:

was your hotel room broken into?

if it wasn't, then it is more likely to be an employee right..?

If we can recall, not long ago the same happened to a Hotel in Bangkok... the hotel security seemed to have found all the recordings except that particular portion that was of relevance to the alleged date/time/location.
That was the last straw. Sounded really BS.
I have since stopped staying in that particular hotel.

stolen from room? wow. please reveal the hotel so we can avoid it.

haiz .... i feel that hotels in sg not so safe ... i had a fren who was here for business , he forgot to lock up his things ..... lost $400 sgd... the culprit seemed to have gone through his things. he stayed at Rendezvous Hotel near PS.

Not sure how effective these investigations are, seeing that the lost item isn't very valuable/important from their point of view - theft happens so often nowadays I don't think it's possible to retrieve most of the items.

For me, lodging a police report is vital in that you can use it when you replace your passport/visa/documentations, but as to retrieving stolen item(s)... :think:

If we can recall, not long ago the same happened to a Hotel in Bangkok... the hotel security seemed to have found all the recordings except that particular portion that was of relevance to the alleged date/time/location.
That was the last straw. Sounded really BS.
I have since stopped staying in that particular hotel.

hi, care to share the hotel name? i'm gng to bangkok next week, hope it isn't the one tht i'm planning to stay.

if u aren't comfortable sharing online, u can pm me also. thanks

was your hotel room broken into?

if it wasn't, then it is more likely to be an employee right..?
I think what night86mare said is right.
If you locked your door properly and it's lost, I think that the thief may be an employee.

It's better to lodge a police report for such matter.

Some hotels have a log of who & time of when the housekeeping goes to clean up the rooms. That's one way to check. Unless you know roughly what time you discovered the theft, then they can go thru the log if they have one. Most likely suspect is the housekeeping. This happens almost at any hotels big or small, 1 star or 5 stars. Never leave your prize possessions or valuables in the hotel rooms unless you keep them in the safe. Trust no one ;)

I've had a bad experience at the Mandarin Oriental @ KLCC where my whole room safe was stolen (it was a big safe). What they did was to check out room entry logs to see who entered it. They found the safe later on in a room 3 doors away and the safe open. The hotel never came back with anything concrete, e.g. the culprit was caught, and just apologized, moved me to another room, and gave me a hotel stay voucher. The culprit not only opened my room door, but opened another door to leave the safe inside. It was, without a doubt, an inside job.

Well... I never went back to stay at the hotel.

If the room logs show that the entry were "legit" then it has to be an inside job kind of thing, or someone on the inside allowing another person into the room, or opened a few doors to clean the room and not watching if someone else slipped in to take the item (which means that they did not perform their task responsibly and diligently).

These days, we can only blame ourselves for being careless in losing things. Do not believe hotel rooms are safe.

There was once I travelled with my parents. We went down for breakfast at the time the chamber maids were cleaning the rooms. We left in a haste and off we went.

On our return, one passport was missing and we realised it when we reached another city.

I called the hotel, they searched but found nothing.

So I contacted someone to bring in a group of vietnamese fellas and I made known to the hotel customer service my men will do a search themselves and they will need to grant them access.

It took the vietnamese less than 1 min to find the passport. Well, I didn't say how I want them to search, but I supposed they appeared ruggard enough to scare the **** out of the culprit.

You don't need to use force, but a good trick to make them pee their pants..

These days, we can only blame ourselves for being careless in losing things. Do not believe hotel rooms are safe.

There was once I travelled with my parents. We went down for breakfast at the time the chamber maids were cleaning the rooms. We left in a haste and off we went.

On our return, one passport was missing and we realised it when we reached another city.

I called the hotel, they searched but found nothing.

So I contacted someone to bring in a group of vietnamese fellas and I made known to the hotel customer service my men will do a search themselves and they will need to grant them access.

It took the vietnamese less than 1 min to find the passport. Well, I didn't say how I want them to search, but I supposed they appeared ruggard enough to scare the **** out of the culprit.

You don't need to use force, but a good trick to make them pee their pants..

:bigeyes:You sound like you have connections with the vietnam mafias:bsmilie:

You got connection with Russian and Irish mafia??:bsmilie:

:bigeyes:You sound like you have connections with the vietnam mafias:bsmilie:

You got connection with Russian and Irish mafia??:bsmilie:

No, I am just a little boy. Mafias are businessmen. They don't do bad things all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.