Stolen angle and composure? "That was my idea!"

timotimo

Just curious does anyone have something like this happened to you?
How do u feel about it?
Not being offensive or sarcastic. I just want an opinion for curiosity.

I have previously did a shot of MBS from the Heliux bridge. I have previous browse through a lot of thread and have never seen this shot from this angle before.

I have posted my picture up in the forum. I was still a beginner then.
About 1 mth later, I actually see pple posting up shots of the MBS at almost the same spot with the same composure.
First thought was that guy stole my ideas and angles. I was not exactly angry or something. It's just feel like people taking your ideas away. It's was like "that was my shot and my idea" kinda thinking.

Do you guys face such thing before?

How do you feel about it?
I just want to hear an opinion.

As long she/he didnt take your picture and post as if its theirs.. i see nothing wrong. This kinda of thing is inevitable. If you dont feel happy..then dont post your picture online. Come to think of it...im sure everyone take inspiration and "copy" other people composition and settings too..

TS..you dont?
: )

How do u feel about it?

I have previously did a shot of MBS from the Heliux bridge. I have previous browse through a lot of thread and have never seen this shot from this angle before.

About 1 mth later, I actually see pple posting up shots of the MBS at almost the same spot with the same composure.
First thought was that guy stole my ideas and angles. I was not exactly angry or something. It's just feel like people taking your ideas away. It's was like "that was my shot and my idea" kinda thinking.

even if u don't post sooner or later someone will come up with that angle. move along. anyway isn't there a phrase "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."

lol

If you can think up that angle, many more will also come up with the same. It's not like the angle you took the picture with was highly inaccessible and hard to get to.

You're not the only one capable of free thought.

media_httpimgsxkcdcomcomicssheeplepng_hHksAvyzhCgpouc.png.scaled500.png

How do u feel about it?

in this world you can't come out anything very "toh gong", there are so many people before you done this done that before, you have not seen it does not mean it did not exist.

even you are the first one to come out this angle (ideal), another person shoot (did) exactly the same angle (thing) after seeing your shots (works), if he can produce a better shot (works) than yours, so what does it imply? very simply, he is inspired, and he is a better photographer too!

face it and move on, this is how the way the human race revolutionise.

Last edited:
Well i thought about this myself before. For me, It's very simple: If what you did can be simply reproduced by simple instructions or copying, there is nothing too great about it. so seek to create even better pictures!

hmmm.
then like that all of us cannot use Rule of Thirds already, because most of us follow atleast abit of Rules of Thirds.

:p

wow. i had no idea the helix belonged to you

I didnt say it belongs to me.. I am just saying copying my ideas.

I also nv say I am angry or unhappy. Just "wah lao" then after that, "nah, it's ain't that bad" and laugh it off or something

After seeing all the comments, well, time to look for different place le!!

Where are the pics for comparison?

zeehamzah said:
hmmm.
then like that all of us cannot use Rule of Thirds already, because most of us follow atleast abit of Rules of Thirds.

better use rule of third, else u copying billions of ppl... Even worse ah!!!!

sfoto100 said:
better use rule of third, else u copying billions of ppl... Even worse ah!!!!

Wah! jialat! follow wrong. never follow wrong... ahahahahhahahahahahahah

timotimo said:
Haha... using that as an excuse to copy! hahaha..
kidding:)
Cheers=)

Die... If I use rule of third, which usually forget, I am copying. Usually I just put everything in centre, n thats copying so many billions of ppl.. Wth.. I put at corner lah!

maybe you should put a packet of tissue at where you shot the pic then

Your thread title and language used does not suggest to me you just want an opinion.

In fact, i do feel that you feel indignant about it.

I would suggest instead of thinking why others have the same angle and composition as you, think about why others CAN'T have the same angle and composition as you, and work from there.

What makes your shot so special that others can't shoot? Do you think your shot and angle is so exceptional that no other human can come up with?

timotimo,

If it just and angle and composition, then strictly speaking you have taken a documentary picture. You have not created an image. It is difficult to be one of a kind when you are only doing documentary or what we can call capture shots for most times. If you can not move on from that, this will reoccur. It could be that some one saw you picture and did a "xerox" himself to prove he could do it. It could be that the other person came to the same idea. You want to have one of a kind pictures ?

Have you heard of Ansel Adams ? Do you know that countless generations of photographers have been to the spot where he shot his iconic work, some even managed to put their tripod in the exact same position, used the same camera, lens and film combo. We have yet to see anyone show any work that is the same as Adam's.
You might well ask why. His capture on film was only the starting point, then there was his processing of the film - yes he tweked it to suite the conditions he shot in. Then there is the master touch - in his dark room, he subtract elements he did not want, he created maskes to that, he may or may not have added elements in form other neg's of the same subject. His finished print were radically different from what a straight print from the neg would show. That is recreating an image from a neg to show what was in his mind when it shot it. That what makes images able to be one of a kind. Try to search for comparative prints - the straight and the finished - I saw one set when there was an exhibition of Adam's work locally. Learnt alot from just looking at the pair.