Stolen angle and composure? "That was my idea!"

There are already people taking photos from that angle even before TS posted his comments.

TS just endure for a few more weeks for school to reopen.

edutilos- said:
There are many ways to get unique shots.

At the end of the day, picture speaks for itself. Overshot, overpatronized, there are still ways to make something different. Shenton Way with lightning is going to be more special than Shenton Way at twilight.

What should we focus on? Making pictures that we like, or being oh so special, so unique, but not pleasing yourself at the end, because deep down inside, you have a unique shot and unique composition, but it doesn't work?

This is a unique concept, I call it Spider-Cat

Well said

Let's face it. Majority if not everyone is trying to get their own copy of the Old Man, Old Lady, Child at Play, Baby, Raindrops, Sunrise, Sunset, Clouds, Thunderstorm, Serenity, Rowboat, Mirror Image, Happiness, Nature, Soaring Eagle, Fireworks, Flower, Bee, Insect, Grasshopper, Butterfly........etc etc etc

Copying?

I think TS should born to be the first people in the world to claim original... :D

Dear TS, no one own the patent rights or copyrights to a particular camera angle of view or a viewpoint of a public place. Nothing really unique about this photo of yours. Its nice, well taken, so your feelings probably get carried away. If others saw your photos & say "its lovely, I would like to try that too", you should be pleased, not upset, that others are similarly inspired thru your photos.

I went thru some of my photos & so coincidentally I have one taken on Dec 25 2010 at 5> pm at the exact same position & view when I was there for Xmas celebrations. Difference was the musuem was being built then & there was a crane there. Also it was drizzling slightly & the night lights were not on. And coincidentally, I unconsciously took another of the same on Oct 7 2011 at 1> pm when I was there for a photoshoot. If you dont believe me, I can email you the photos & you can check the exif data to confirm. Each time, I stopped by there only for a brief moment & these were but casual snapshots for my personal memories & own enjoyment. During Xmas, there were thousands of people there & I saw so many taking the same shots.

Good things are meant to be shared, we dont owned these for ourself only. Imagine if every beautiful view in this world is exclusively "owned" or even "reserved" by someone, just because he was there & saw it first, it would be crazy & it would be hell! So be happy & contented, be glad that you have shared in those photo moments which brought you pleasure & gaved you fond memories.......

Last edited:
Unfortunately you cannot patent angle of shot and the composure. That's the fact of life.

Frankly speaking, the Helix bridge is one of the most photographed locations in singapore. I had seen dozen of similar photos like yours on Facebook and Flickr. Hope you bear in mind that others could have thought about the same angle and composure as you.

Last edited:
2r77mhj.jpg

the awkward feeling when u saw that picture and thought it was you who shot it...

Well, i duno why some pple seems offensive but these opinions are worthy of this thread..
I just had that awkward feeling at that moment..

just sharing my experience

i was shooting a scene and when i got the shot that i wanted packed up to leave
only to find someone else there at the same spot shooting the same subject

nothing you can do about it, just move on

the awkward feeling when u saw that picture and thought it was you who shot it...

Well, i duno why some pple seems offensive but these opinions are worthy of this thread..
do you realize your thread title is offensive in the first place,
you claim many photographers stole your idea.
that is why the tone in some of the replies are not so nice.

my advice to you is "shoot more, talk less."

shoot with your eye open big big, not with your mouth open big big. lol

As uncle catchlights rightfully pointed out, you accused many possibly innocent people of copying your "unique idea".

The choice of words in the title of your thread "stolen angle", that is inherently offensive, you are accusing others of thievery. Just to highlight, Critique Corner is one of the quietest places in CS, I don't think even 20% of the people who posted the same angle after your CC thread have seen the thread. :bsmilie:

Just curious does anyone have something like this happened to you?
How do u feel about it?
Not being offensive or sarcastic. I just want an opinion for curiosity.

I have previously did a shot of MBS from the Heliux bridge. I have previous browse through a lot of thread and have never seen this shot from this angle before.

I have posted my picture up in the forum. I was still a beginner then.
About 1 mth later, I actually see pple posting up shots of the MBS at almost the same spot with the same composure.
First thought was that guy stole my ideas and angles. I was not exactly angry or something. It's just feel like people taking your ideas away. It's was like "that was my shot and my idea" kinda thinking.

Do you guys face such thing before?

How do you feel about it?
I just want to hear an opinion.

You may have gone through all the troubles to seek a new angle and feel piqued about seeing similar photos which arguably seem to copy your works.

Well, that's life. Singapore is a small place. Famous landmarks have been shot in every inch from every angles imaginable. The different between one photo and the next is often paper thin difference.

Perhaps you should think of shooting things less people want to shoot or dangerous to shoot or are difficult to find.

Best of luck.

As uncle catchlights rightfully pointed out, you accused many possibly innocent people of copying your "unique idea".

The choice of words in the title of your thread "stolen angle", that is inherently offensive, you are accusing others of thievery. Just to highlight, Critique Corner is one of the quietest places in CS, I don't think even 20% of the people who posted the same angle after your CC thread have seen the thread. :bsmilie:

For that I sincerely apologised. I did put a "?" at the end of the question and not "!"
And I did explain it at the start.. It was an option for opinions..

considering me as a beginner? still aint used to seeing close to similar shots i guess..

"The awkward feeling when you saw that shot and i thought it was yours"

just sharing my experience

i was shooting a scene and when i got the shot that i wanted packed up to leave
only to find someone else there at the same spot shooting the same subject

nothing you can do about it, just move on

You should stand in front of him and dance around to ruin his shot. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
You may have gone through all the troubles to seek a new angle and feel piqued about seeing similar photos which arguably seem to copy your works.

Well, that's life. Singapore is a small place. Famous landmarks have been shot in every inch from every angles imaginable. The different between one photo and the next is often paper thin difference.

Perhaps you should think of shooting things less people want to shoot or dangerous to shoot or are difficult to find.

Best of luck.

Well, must agree on the size of Singapore is small.. well, time to move on to new stuffs.
This thread has been educational :)

Well, must agree on the size of Singapore is small.. well, time to move on to new stuffs.
This thread has been educational :)

yes, just shoot more pics.

even if your future pics' angles get 'stolen' and the 'compositions' get copied, just maintain your composure and carry on.;)