Stofen omnibounce vs 2 way bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppinghippo

Apr 10, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
Hi, anybody have tried the above two? what difference do they make? As in which gives a more diffused effect? thanx!

Originally posted by hoppinghippo
Hi, anybody have tried the above two? what difference do they make? As in which gives a more diffused effect? thanx!
I own an omnibounce. It diffuses light very well; not without a surface to bounce. Sometimes I find a +1 EV looks better on the shots. Never tried the 2-way bounce though.

No need to buy, just make you own bounce card, cheap and good! I sometimes use my omni bounce with my bounce card. Email or PM me, i'll tell you how you can make your own bounce card!

Omni bounce

8080.jpg

A small and expensive plastic but extremely useful in small enclosed room, with walls and low ceiling. As the name suggest, light get bounce omni directional. Meaning 360 degrees, even from the wall at the sides. I use it direct sometimes to soften the light, especially for taking close up. (Acts like a "big" soft box, compare to the subject size.) Note: The omni bounce do drain your batteries more than the bounce card or Lumiquest.

DIY Bounce Card

8081.jpg

I make my own bounce card from a old VHS Cassette cover. It is matt white, slightly hard, durable and very easy to clean when dirty. You can cut the design base on the size of your flash. I have 2 different width at the bottom, one is to fit the longer width of the flash head (for horizontal bounce) and the other for the shorter width (for verticle bounce).

8082.jpg

I secure the bounce card with a black rubber band. (Can get it from Beach Rd Army market) Use it when the ceiling is quite high (around 2-3 metres) with no walls to bounce off.

Lumiquest

8083.jpg

This is useful when the ceiling is much too high to bounce your flash. The top flab acts as a "small" ceiling. Useful for close up as well.

Originally posted by kueko

DIY Bounce Card

I make my own bounce card from a old VHS Cassette cover.

Hmmm ... thanks for the idea ... was looking around the house for something to recycle and make into a bounce card.

Anyway, I still find it easier to get good results from using a bounce card compared to an omnibounce. Am I missing something here? The omnibounce sometimes give me pictures with underexposed backgrounds, esp when the subjects are say abt 1-2 m away ... (I am using a non-TTL auto flash - Vivitar 285HV, setting is abt 1/100, F4 - F5)

i have tried using omnibounce, reflector and a bounce card.
here is my experience on them.

reflector
produce very diffuse lighting. coverage can be a problem, depending on width of reflector. e.g. may not fill edges of 24mm lens.
good when there is no ceiling to bounce flash off.
bounce card - usually DIY, depending on type of material used, can yield pretty good results. can try laying crumbled aluminium foil on the card. yields pretty good results.

Problem with reflector and bounce card - when shooting vertical, have to reattach the reflector/bouncecard. this can be troublesome and time consuming (esp when things are moving fast).
this is where the omnibounce shines. can shoot vertically with ease.
Omni bounce gives pretty flattering light. i try to bounce it 45-60 degrees if in room with low ceiling. however, if in hall, then shooting straight with -1 stop off power still produces pretty decent results

Status
Not open for further replies.