Stofen Omnibounce - useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Hi, I've been using a bounce card or ceiling bounce for bounce flash all along. Am thinking of getting an omnibounce instead, but a bit apprehensive about the difference that it will make. Omnibounce users, does card/ceiling bounce and omnibounce have a big difference? Say I want to take nice portrait/people shots in a wedding, is the omnibounce good enuff? Will appreciate any feedback, thanks!

btw, I read that the effective distance reduces by a factor of 2.5 times, that's a real bummer.

I've not used the Omnibounce before, but I think it is useful only if there is a ceiling or wall nearby to bounce light off. Otherwise, say outdoors, it is not very useful (other than reducing output). This is because it does not significantly change the size of the area light is coming from as it's about the same size as the flash head.

I think it's only useful indoor where you have walls and ceiling to bounce the light! And also when taking close up with direct flash. Other than that i think the bounce card works better! Note: The omni-bounce will drain up your batteries, bring lots of extra if you intend to use one!

I've found an ominbounce to be a complete waste of time, not only does it rob power from the flash but if you bounce from ceilings etc properly you'll get a nice diffused light to start with.

There are far better solutions out there such as A4 and A3 sized softboxes designed for camera flash units which give about the best portable portrait lighting for small flash units, as wel as brollies etc. However these solutions aren't cheap but they really do work a whole lot better.

You can build ur own Omnibounce for about 5 bucks by finding a small opaque white freezer box that fits the head of your flash. If it doesn't soften your flash enough add a single layer of tracing paper to the bottom of the unit.

For digital camera owners, cut down a fuji film cannister to fit over your flash :)

Hi Tweek

After so many experts said that omnibounce is totally useless, I was hesistant initially to give you my views. Anyway, I am no expert in flash photography, (in fact, I am just an amateur photographer) but just want to share about my experiences.

I have tried other ways of softening light from the flash, including bouncing off ceiling, using a bounce card (with crumpled aluminium foil), DIY crude "omnibounce" using plastic milk bottle, etc. I would say some of those methods do give quite good effect if you do it correctly. However, I purchased an omnibounce recently for a simple reason: convenience.

I use my setup of S602 + 285HV basically to photograph my baby son at home. With the omnibounce, when I want to take some shots of my son, immediately, I could put my flash on the camera, snap on the omnibounce, on the camera, and I am ready to fire off. I also don't have to worry abt it dropping off in between shots (my DIY one drops quite easily).

Also, when I am shooting indoors at other places (say at weddings), I don't think I would ever use my flash with a bounce card or my DIY omnibounce ... sure look very wierd ...

Essentially, to me, the $28 spend on the omnibounce is small price to buy the convenience I need for the portriat shots I take.

I have posted some photos recently. Those were taken using S602+285HV+omnibounce. Take a look:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9886

Azone has also posted some test shots using a similar setup:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9273

PS: Again, I must say that I am no expert in this subject matter.

thanks for everyone who contributed. Hmm from the stofen website, one of the diagrams seem to say that one does not need a ceiling to use omnibounce, merely using it will diffuse the flash enough, without having to bounce from the ceiling. When megaweb and azone used it for their insect macro shots, they didn't have a ceiling to bounce from either. So, is a ceiling really necessary? :dunno:

Appreciate all who replied. :) Will do more research b4 I try out the omnibounce.

I tried almost everything - the home made bounce card, a Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer, and the ever popular Omnibounce.

The last 2 are not very effective. And the omnibounce is not effective when used head-on - you really need to have a wall/ceiling to bounce off from (which is its intended purpose of use). Like Ian said, if you have to bounce off ceilings, then the light will be soft enough already, no need to use the omnibounce.

At the end, I still went back to using my home made boune card attached to the flash head with Velcro. I did several weddings using that combination and results have been very good. Best of all, it cost nothing. Sure it looks weird, but as long as it gives me the results I want, that's more than enough. And it's not any less convenient than the Omnibounce.

Save the money. :)

Regards
CK

Tweek,

Its true that if you're taking human portraits using ceiling bounce, you don't need the omni bounce as the effect is insignificant. For direct flash, it merely act as a diffuser, softening the harsh flash.

But it is not entirely a waste of time or money. Of course, depends on what pics you want to take. If you're interested in insect macros, it IS extremely useful. You can tilt the flash head to 45 degrees or more to achieve the "natural, sunlight" effect. I need not further explain, as mega's huge collection of impressive insect pics explains everything. ;)

Originally posted by siron
hmmmm........is there onr for 707?

There's one for 707 & i'm using it now :D
The result is not bad when the flash is tilted 45 degree
but if pointing straright, the omi defuse the flash too much
resulting in a very underexpose picture.

Still trying out the omi and getting better result with it,
o-yes the price of the omi is arount $29. I've tryed
AP,John both no stock, found it at CP at penisular...;(

Originally posted by Mickey

There's one for 707 & i'm using it now :D
The result is not bad when the flash is tilted 45 degree
but if pointing straright, the omi defuse the flash too much
resulting in a very underexpose picture.

Still trying out the omi and getting better result with it,
o-yes the price of the omi is arount $29. I've tryed
AP,John both no stock, found it at CP at penisular...;(

Do not use the thing straight on if you are not using a true TTL system (as in the sensor being INSIDE the camera, behind the lens, reading light off the film plane). If using the sensor on the flash or "Next to the Lens" (in certain cameras), then the light spilling over the edges of the Omnibounce will cause underexposure when it reaches the sensor.

Anyway, using it straight on gives insignificant improvements over not using anything on the flash head.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.