Stock photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Recently a stock photo manager contacted me after going through my website. After seeing how others sell their photos in royal-free CDROM format, I am pretty keen in entering this area. You know, I am more or less a junk shooter, especially with 8fps now :bsmilie: OK seriously, I am new to this area. Wondering if someone here has sold stock images before and what are things to watch out. Honestly I don't mind paying you for your good suggestions if it helps me sell my first disk. :)

um reading from books they say shooting stock require to shoot like in the hundreds or even thousands, and your money will only roll in after a few years..that what i know hope it helps

Nice gallery, Tom :D

zig said:
um reading from books they say shooting stock require to shoot like in the hundreds or even thousands, and your money will only roll in after a few years..that what i know hope it helps
That's for sure, the more the easier to choose from. Maybe a major part of cost is also associated with travel for my type of shooting style.

A cool website you have. I really got lots to learn in photography. :sweat:

i did post abt this a few months back, and someone did reply to me...it's something like

$250 for <100 photos
$180 for 100-500 photos
$100 for >500 photos

cant really remember...

From my understanding is that most stock library would expect you to put like 500 photos (min) of very good quality with them.

Also, various types of photos are needed so the market is vast. The trick is to approach the mags or agency that is the closest match to your strength or prefer choice of subjects. e.g. sports, gardening etc

By some stroke of luck, I made my first stock image sale via a friend's friend. The image is on slide somemore, so I made a scan for them. ;)

Most important are the rights. Unless they are paying you a hell lot of money, don't give them exclusive rights. Retain the rights to sell the image or use it for some other purpose. Obviously don't sell copyright of the image unless they pay you a hell lot too.

Regards
CK

very interesting topic thx for Tomshen who brought this out...

i think it is an area not exploited by local photographers. Would appreciate if those with some experience can share them with us. I am seeing pics from Corbis being used by SPH in their Sunday Times. Wonder what kind ot rates or what terms are applicable.

If I am not wrong, the photographer still owns copyright while the buyer can use royal-free photos commerically. I am not sure if there is an expire date for the sold images. Some US site sell 100/CD around USD400-800+.

Status
Not open for further replies.