stitching

thelight

Jun 8, 2010
hello,
may i enquire if photoscape can do 'stitching'?
and also,
what i should take note of when i take pics which i am going to 'stitch'
am heading for another holiday.
to new york tomorrow.
thank you in advance.

sorry, i don't know what photoscape is.

but i know what google is, i have tools at my hands that i can use.

i ran a quick check, and it didn't turn up anything that hinted that photoscape could do panorama.

so it probably can't.

you have the program, can't you play with it?

no idea what is a photoscape... :p
but just to share a few points for stitching.
1. at least 20% overlap between shots.
2. Use a tripod with a head that allows panning.
3. Level tripod, then head and then camera then sweep through the whole angle and check if camera is level. If not level again.
4. Goto manual once you got your settings right, this is to ensure same exposure for all the frames.
5. Always get more of the whole photo as you will cropping later so that you will not crop out things you wanted in the photo to rid of the white space.
6. Treat me a nice frupee at coffee bean and I will show you how in person... :sweatsm:
7. Ask N86M for more advice as he has better techniques and experience....

ps. check out my humble stitch with fisheye effect as I was too close...hand held btw... http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/5035965775_a55151d6a7_b.jpg

sorry, i don't know what photoscape is.

but i know what google is, i have tools at my hands that i can use.

i ran a quick check, and it didn't turn up anything that hinted that photoscape could do panorama.

so it probably can't.

you have the program, can't you play with it?

it's a noobie program, easy and downright to the point.
absolutely not meant for pro.
played with it but only 'combine' available, it could be it but seems too 'juvenile'.

no idea what is a photoscape... :p
but just to share a few points for stitching.
1. at least 20% overlap between shots.
2. Use a tripod with a head that allows panning.
3. Level tripod, then head and then camera then sweep through the whole angle and check if camera is level. If not level again.
4. Goto manual once you got your settings right, this is to ensure same exposure for all the frames.
5. Always get more of the whole photo as you will cropping later so that you will not crop out things you wanted in the photo to rid of the white space.
6. Treat me a nice frupee at coffee bean and I will show you how in person... :sweatsm:
7. Ask N86M for more advice as he has better techniques and experience....

ps. check out my humble stitch with fisheye effect as I was too close...hand held btw... http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/5035965775_a55151d6a7_b.jpg

thank you for the heads up.
as for no.6, too sweet for me but no problem sitting down with some nice photo chit chat while you sip on it.

cheers.

sweet!!

I don't think current versions of photoscape has the stitching function. tried a few and found this free one by microsoft quick and easy to use, and more accurate than photoshop.

For info in case you are looking for an easy program to stitch your shots, i just launched it, dragged and dropped the photos into the program window and let it do the rest. When exporting the final product, do check the resizing (i think they resize smaller by default so you need to select 100% for the full size output).

Microsoft research Image Composite Editor (ICE)
(can google for "microsoft ICE") too in case the link breaks.

Edit: I found a thread on recommended free software too, which includes a recommended program. listed here even tho i have not tried it myself:
Panorama

Hugin - http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

The thread is
here, in case you want to look at other useful software

Good luck stitching!

Last edited: