stitching techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
hi

have a few questions on the above:
1. does the distance (where you are standing to the scenery) makes a difference? how do u adjust for that?
2. how do u adjust for the length of the scenery i.e. longer scenery would require more frames.
3. how much to overlay each neighbouring frame?

i can never get a smooth stitch using canon stitching software.

can the experts share how they do it? which software is good or is there no difference in the algorithmn? or can anyone direct me where to read up on good photo stitching techniques?

hi

have a few questions on the above:
1. does the distance (where you are standing to the scenery) makes a difference? how do u adjust for that?
2. how do u adjust for the length of the scenery i.e. longer scenery would require more frames.
3. how much to overlay each neighbouring frame?

i can never get a smooth stitch using canon stitching software.

can the experts share how they do it? which software is good or is there no difference in the algorithmn? or can anyone direct me where to read up on good photo stitching techniques?
1. yes it does... if it is too near, the end result will looks distorted, try using a prime and longer focal length as possible to reduce distortion
2. not sure what you meant...
3. for a smoother stitch, try overlaying 30-50%...

try using Autostitch... google up to find.

2) if i guess correctly what u mean, u need a tripod head with a panning base, or panning clamp... then u set the ur shots to differ by the same angle for every shot... take note, it's good to overlap about 30% of the photo... so u have to calculate 30% of the angle of view of the lens.. that's the angle u should adjust by with every shot...

if u don't have a panning base or equipment.. use ur eyes and judge.. look for a subject or point (1 third into the picutre) that's easy to recognise after u take ur first shot, then shift ur camera such that the same point is now at the edge... a rough estimate will do.. don't have to be so exact...

yes that was what i meant. cool. stuff.

imagine 3 photos. photostitch will tend to tilt the horizontal plane of the photo (1) & (3) by abt 15 degrees like this \ - /. damn it's hard to explain in words.

yes that was what i meant. cool. stuff.

imagine 3 photos. photostitch will tend to tilt the horizontal plane of the photo (1) & (3) by abt 15 degrees like this \ - /. damn it's hard to explain in words.
that normally occur when you have a road/path or something too near to you... the application will tilt it in order to join up with the center photo. even if you setup at perfect horizontal, those will happen as well due to the distortion...

To get perfect stitching, your setup must be rotate at nodal point. You need a pano head (must be level to sea level) to assist you. Recommend to use Panorama Factory to stitch.

Check out panoguide.com for more details.

or if u can afford to dig deep into ur pockets, Really Right Stuff has an extensive range of products made just for panoramas, including special clamps and nodal slides and brackets...

Status
Not open for further replies.