Stitching Panaromic Shots...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuRfTeC

Oct 17, 2003
Singapore, East
Visit site
Does anyone know any efficient method to stitch photographs together..?

im using olympus c750 and the software from olympus has stitching tool but i find that after using the stitching tool from the software... the picture tends to turn out very distorted...
especially in the middle of the picture where the stitch is...

the centre of this picture below is distorted...
faa46638.jpg

anyway to solve this?

if i stitch more than 3 pictures... the distortion will be very obvious...

is there any other method instead of using the camedia software?

can anyone please please kindly teach me in steps...

thanks in advance

Are you referring visible stitch seams, the bent right pole or the wavy bottom black margin?

i guess the wavy black bottom is because of the stitching of photos with the camedia software...

but the centre of the picture you can see its quite slanted...

the building, and the lorry... an also the lamp post on the right...

quite obvious...

normally what software to do stitching is recommended?

cheers..

SuRfTeC said:
i guess the wavy black bottom is because of the stitching of photos with the camedia software...
but the centre of the picture you can see its quite slanted...
the building, and the lorry... an also the lamp post on the right...
quite obvious...
normally what software to do stitching is recommended?
cheers..

I've tried quite number of stitching programs, but none truly comes close to eliminating the stitch marks... You can try Panorama Factory for a start, works better than canon's stitch imo. If anyone's had better experiences with panoramics, pls do recommend a better software, me interested too

There WILL be areas you need to crop off (top and bottom) at the final stitch output, either the software do it for u or u do it yourself.. .

saw from someone's thread that recommend panorama factory too..

but im not sure how to use the software...

anyone kind enough to give some guide on how to use the software...?

heard that theres another software called adobe photoshop creative suite that can also do stitching for digital photos and is quite good...

is there anyone out there using this software...?
please share some views....

cheers..

sorry.... just found out that the panorama factory has a wizard that helps you stitch the pictures...

but feel free to recommend any other stitching software that is better...

thanks for sharing sk_online...

cheers

tried the panorama factory already... but the picture turns out another colour...
very much different from the original picture...

don't know whether am i correctly using the software...

any guide to how to use the software..?

SuRfTeC said:
tried the panorama factory already... but the picture turns out another colour...
very much different from the original picture...

don't know whether am i correctly using the software...

any guide to how to use the software..?

split and merge thread from "oeyvind: Another sunset shot" due to OT ...

If you want the original color and exposure , just turn off the auto exposure correct wizard ...

megaweb...

i tried unchecking the auto exposure correct...
and it works.. ;)

but the picture after stitching is a bit out of alignment...

can i dun follow through the wizard... and do aligment for myself...

how to go about doing that if possible...

anyone who knows this... please feel free to comment and advice...

thanks...

SuRfTeC said:
megaweb...

but the picture after stitching is a bit out of alignment...

you have to take constant angle and exposure for all stitching shots.

see my pano sample shots , can you spot the stitch line ? 12 shots were taken 30 degree different using tripod and ballhead.

Photoshop Elements apparently has a panoramic stitching function that's quite good. but i've never used it myself...

Then how do you guys normally print out these panaromic photos? What format shld it be?

Hi guys,

If u are interested in Panorama software, you can go to www.panoguide.com for a complete review of the softwares available. I have tried a few of them. I would recommend the following in the order of pricing from lowest to highest.

1) Panotools (Free but got a learning curve to climb)
2) Iseemedia's Photovista (Cheap and solid!! I prefer this over Panorama factory)
4) 3Dvista stitcher (commercial purposes if u need it :) )
5) Realviz sticher (Commercial purposes if u need it :) )

I prefer softwares that can have manual alignment =) . If u are into those imersive ones, you will need those panorama heads from manufacturers such as Kaiden too (then taking panorama pictures will become expensive liao)........

As for printing, the best experiences I had for large format ones are using Lambda printers (eg. Profoto, RGB or Raffles Digital). But be careful as they might charge you wastage fees as the print does not cover the entire area of the paper. As for smaller prints, any Fuji Frontier shops (eg. Konata, colorlab) will do a good job......they might either charge you wastage or limit the size of the print. Save the file in Jpeg will do the job ;)

cheers,
Tuck Loong
www.orionimagery.com
www.orsiris.com

I would recommend Arcsoft's Panorama Maker 3. Very user-friendly; can stitch horizontally, vertically, 360 deg.; also can manually edit the joints if they don't stitch together well. Far better than Canon's Photostitch which comes free with Canon cameras and printers.
http://www.arcsoft.com/en/products/panoramamaker/

thanks guys...

for recommending the software to use for panoramic shots!! ;)

is there any techniques when taking picture for stitching into panoramic shots...?

i am not sure whether am i correct... so please correct me if im wrong... :embrass:

every picture taken must at least have an overlap of about 30% to 50%...

i have ben trying to take a few shots to stitch but it kind of turns out distorted because i only have an overlap of about 10% or even less than that!

one question - Is there a need for auto exposure lock (AEL) when taking shots that are to be stitched later..?

for those who has done stitching before... please share some views and techniques on how to go about stitching

thanks ;)

It also depends on the camera that you are using. For example, in Canon digicams with panorama function, the exposure will be locked once you take the first shot in the series. The previous shot is always shown on the LCD screen to serve as a guide to help you take the next shot.

In panorama softwares like Panorama Maker, the program will also adjust the exposure of each shot during the processing to ensure that the exposure of the final panorama is even from one end to the other.

tomcat said:
It also depends on the camera that you are using. For example, in Canon digicams with panorama function, the exposure will be locked once you take the first shot in the series. The previous shot is always shown on the LCD screen to serve as a guide to help you take the next shot.

im using a c750 and it also has the window for framing the panoramic shots... but i gues previously all my framing of the shots are wrong thats why most of the panoramic shots turns out to be quite distorted... :(

after trying to frame at around 30% to 50% after the first shot... the pictures turn out better... (my personal opinion) ;)

tomcat... the Panorama maker software is quite good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: can we continue to use the trial version after the stated time is up...? :embrass:

cheers...

SuRfTeC said:
tomcat... the Panorama maker software is quite good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: can we continue to use the trial version after the stated time is up...? :embrass:

cheers...
Not if it is the trial version. It is sometimes bundled free with some hardware. Or you can try to look for the OEM version if you know what I mean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.