Stitching Linear Shots (Not camera rotated around a point)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Been reading about the different software and how they make life easy ...

Have tried a few like Photomerge (works great most of the time), then tried the trial versions of PTGUI, Autostitch and The Pano Factory ... but they seem to work with rotated photos (a series of photos taken from one point rotated around a central axis, like a tripod head or pano mount).

I may be missing something, but I have a series of overlapping shots taken along a STRAIGHT LINE - I kept the camera and sensor plane parallel to the subject, and moved the entire tripod laterally. Made sure I had tons of overlap just to play safe.

How do I stitch these, please?

All the software I tried had problems either recognizing the images, or I ended up with craziiiiieeeee looking panos! :confused:

Let me guess... you were shooting with the widest lens /FOV you have ?

That's the problem as there is too much perspective curvature when you shoot wide and pan-stitch. So, far as far as I've tried, the most efficient results I've got so far has been shooting 35mm (equivalent) and more and then stitching them in Photoshop CS4. Best is to shoot at over 50mm and then stitch.

Yeah ... :embrass:

But even when I do the rotation thing, which induced heaps of distortion, the software seems to have no problems recognizing the images and correcting them.

With the linear photos, distortion is minimal - much much less than when using the rotation method, and I even corrected it at the cropping stage before attempting a stitch, which is something I didn't do with the rotation method. The series of photos I have on hand look like perfectly centered, straight, corrected, almost distortion-free shots.

Is it that software now only recognize images that have been rotated around a point and distorted, and not a series of non-distorted images taken along a lateral line? :confused:

Is it that software now only recognize images that have been rotated around a point and distorted, and not a series of non-distorted images taken along a lateral line? :confused:

For that, you can try the Canon Zoombrowser that comes with all their cameras. It has a stitch function that seems a little more primitive and works well for your style of stitching as far as I recall.

If not, there is always Photoshop and do it the 'manual' way... :sweat:

Have you tried to use autostich in photoshop?

hi Chris,
do you mean stitching the shots from a fixed photography position , something like using a shift lens to pan your shots ?

The following shot was taken using a 35mm Mamiya 645 prime lens onto a Tilt/Shift adapter.
The shots were stitched using the Canon PhotoStitch 3.1
for the merge settings, I click on the "Parallel Camera Movement" instead of the default "Panning"

B59D7193.jpg
B59D7195-1.jpg
B59D7197.jpg
B59D7198.jpg

temple.jpg

regards,
Kang

i think there is a parallel camera movement in photoshop too. i remember using it a while back.

under automate then something, den choose parallel or custom or something in the options. cant remember where.

might be due to the complexity of the images which some times i cannot get the software to do :(
but have used photoshop so far ... cs 3 and above is not bad....

Thanks guys, especially lkkang who took the time and trouble to show an example, and figured out what I did! But no less to the others who also tried suggesting approaches and the parallel setting. I missed that completely!

In the end, I tried Canon's zoom browser and selected the parallel setting and it worked, but I suspect I might have been too generous with the overlap. Will also try the parallel settings in CS4.

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.