Still using K20D after bought K5

neon2

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Pentaxians,

Just to share my thoughts after having used K5 and K20D concurrently for almost 2 months.
The ironic truth is I still love using K20D more than K5 for the following reasons:
1) AF is much more accurate
2) Buttons and controls are more intuitive and "at the right position". One good example is the AF button. Yes I use that button quite often.
3) Comparing the built quality of K20D and K5, K20D gave me the impression of better built.
4) P-TTL doesn't seem to have improve
5) dedicated SR on/off button on K20D
6) K5 makes a weird "zhee" sound when switched on, mounted with a DA35 F2.4 lens.
7) sentimental value. My old K20D been through holidays, birth of my daughter, freelance events but didn't disappoint me like the K5.

Yes I am very particular about these small details, so if the K20D can serve me for more than 2 years and am still happy with it, it sure nailed the right spot.

Due to no interest from any fellow to buy my old K20D, I get to unofficially keep it and use it despite my wife questioning why I need 2 camera bodies. Haha... So unable to sell K20D was a lucky misfortune.

Regards,
Aaron

Yes sometimes we keep older things because we are used to them, and new does not always mean better. That's why I use an older type of mobile phone, not a smart phone.

I have not used a K20D before, but I do find auto focus is not that great compared to the raving reviews, esp when dark- my friend's Canon compact camera auto focus faster than K-5 is same low light situation.

I must admit maybe I do not know how to use some features though

Same here but its between my k10d and k7. Now that my k7 is spoilt, I'm back to my k10d. Never been more comfortable with it. Only wish the iso performance could be better at times.

Same here but its between my k10d and k7. Now that my k7 is spoilt, I'm back to my k10d. Never been more comfortable with it. Only wish the iso performance could be better at times.

That and the bulb mode. Everything else is just nice. :cool:

Hi Pentaxians,

Just to share my thoughts after having used K5 and K20D concurrently for almost 2 months.
The ironic truth is I still love using K20D more than K5 for the following reasons:
2) Buttons and controls are more intuitive and "at the right position". One good example is the AF button. Yes I use that button quite often.
3) Comparing the built quality of K20D and K5, K20D gave me the impression of better built.
6) K5 makes a weird "zhee" sound when switched on, mounted with a DA35 F2.4 lens.
7) sentimental value. My old K20D been through holidays, birth of my daughter, freelance events but didn't disappoint me like the K5.

Yes I am very particular about these small details, so if the K20D can serve me for more than 2 years and am still happy with it, it sure nailed the right spot.

Due to no interest from any fellow to buy my old K20D, I get to unofficially keep it and use it despite my wife questioning why I need 2 camera bodies. Haha... So unable to sell K20D was a lucky misfortune.

Regards,
Aaron

I do miss the K20D (it's really sentimental value), but the K5 has improved over it through:

1) Much better DR. Pentax just keeps getting better in this aspect.
2) Better high ISO performance.
3) No need to wait for long shutter NR (which could not be turned off in the K20D and K7).

The K20D produces much more slide-like colors out of camera, but refer to point 1 for the sacrifices being made...

For the points you have mentioned -

A) I don't use flash.
B) Thought the AF was in fact, improved because of the AF assist light, just that the K20D tends to only take photos when the focus is spot on.
C) SR is always on, because it automatically switches off when you set timer (on tripod) - not sure why you would want to turn it off.
D) The "zhee" sound is probably the sensor vibrating for anti-dust? Can't remember if the K20D had it, I thought it also had it, but it was much more violent.
E) Thought the build was on par? Just that the K5 is much more compact.. But no less reassuring for me!

That said, I agree, I was having trouble adapting back to a K-r after a very long time of using the K20D, and then adapting to K-5 again after using the K-r.. But well, I always tell myself that the camera is just a tool that we should work around, because we are humans and are much more adaptable than a machine. The important thing is the pictures... And I'm certain if you give the K-5 a shot and keep using it, you'd find that it's not really less intuitive than the K20D, just that it's probably old habits that die hard.. :) Kind of why I never believed in keeping 2 different camera models as "backup" or what... If you don't know the gear you are using inside out, and keep mixing it up, you'd tend to prefer one.. :)

to each his own bro! it's hard to find something you like in a market where products are made to be mass consumed, but every now and then a gem comes along for someone, be it k20D, k5, whatever! I find the K5 a real keeper, but it lacks that tilting folding screen that i want- just an example of how its real ballers to find the perfect camera!(or anything in that sense : ) )

If one shoots at low iso, in good lighting conditions and views/prints photos at low resolution, there should not be any noticeable difference. Handling wise, as what the others have mentione, to each his own. I've seen people saying they like K-x because it is colorful, and lightweight.

This is the also reason why I bought the K-7, I was only willing to pay K-r price but want better handling. At the time, the K-5 was double the price I paid for a 2nd hand K-7...

Of course, with a $1300 budget everyone should just get the K-5... There can be no better choice.

D) The "zhee" sound is probably the sensor vibrating for anti-dust? Can't remember if the K20D had it, I thought it also had it, but it was much more violent.

I think that has something to do with the aperture linkage rather than the dust removal function.

B) Thought the AF was in fact, improved because of the AF assist light, just that the K20D tends to only take photos when the focus is spot on.
After more than 2 years with my K20D, I was able to quickly identify any soft focus or motion blur quickly, thanks to the Quick Zoom feature. So after bought the K5, quick zoom in check sharpness but to my dismay, most of the time especially in low light conditions, the focus is not as sharp as my K20D. Although K5 indicated focus lock but its just not sharp enough. I mingled with the AF fine adjustment but it didn't help. Be it I tuned it to -10 or +10 AF adjustment, there is no noticeable difference. Disappointed...

I think that has something to do with the aperture linkage rather than the dust removal function.
Yes I also think its not the dust removal but the aperture mechanism. This never happens on my K20D.

I told my wife that my old K20D is better than K5. She jumped and scolded me for spending a fortune on the K5. LOL

After more than 2 years with my K20D, I was able to quickly identify any soft focus or motion blur quickly, thanks to the Quick Zoom feature. So after bought the K5, quick zoom in check sharpness but to my dismay, most of the time especially in low light conditions, the focus is not as sharp as my K20D. Although K5 indicated focus lock but its just not sharp enough. I mingled with the AF fine adjustment but it didn't help. Be it I tuned it to -10 or +10 AF adjustment, there is no noticeable difference. Disappointed...

kinda agree.. this is the biggest flaw of the K5 for me that hasn't been fixed after multiple firmware upgrades and even a trip to Pentax HQ. what's the point of usable ISO6400 when the focus is always off.. that said though, I think the K5 is a much better camera than K20D. more responsive to use, info screen is a great way to view and change options, high fps is great, shutter is sooooo quiet, more comfy grip esp on the battery grip, etc.

i hope my K5 will be finally fixed on the second trip back to Pentax, they took a whole month and returned me a camera that screwed up out of the box, unbelievable...

Hi Pentaxians,

Regards,
Aaron

I can't speak for your camera, but K5 has been a wonderful jump for me. K100D was pretty nice as my first DSLR, K7 was really a bland MP upgrade over it, but the K5 has been fantastic.

1. Much faster and decisive AF.
2. Fantastic DR
3. Great ISO performance.
4. ISO80-100 is wonderful! DR; resistance to PP; low noise; help to keep slow shutter speeds - just fantastic.
5. AF calibration for the 20 lenses - previously I'd had to remember which lens needed what since the K7 can only remember one lens.

As for the issues you face :

>> K5 is more decisive.
Its also 16mp compared to 14mp, so that extra pixel peep may result in seeing in-accuracies that were previously not noticed.
Not to mention that you may not have been shooting with the K20D where you would with the K20.
Worst case, do send it in to the service center to check.

>> Personal preference.

>> Personal preference again. I feel that K5 is better built. K20D just feels larger and that gives a different sort of impression on build.

>> No improvement, but certaily usable and not hopeless, esp with the newer firmware. Anyway, I do shoot some flash photography and you should really try to learn how to use the flash manually as well to get more control.
Take it as a challenge to pickup something new.

>> Quick menu is pretty fast, though the button is faster of course.
Why do you need a button?
Its automatically off if you use remote or timed shutter release.

>> Er.. no suggestions :D

>> Sometimes, when we are fresh to something (ie. digital), we can accept everything as a given. But when we have progressed, we form preferences and opinions and so we say 'No' to somethings.

No right and wrong. Perhaps you can consider selling off the K5 and just using the K20D.
Once the new MILC and roadmap is released, you probably can't even sell it at a reasonable price.

So you're saying that the AF is less accurate?

But as I recall, the K20D couldn't even achieve focus in low light conditions a lot of the time!

No right and wrong. Perhaps you can consider selling off the K5 and just using the K20D.
Once the new MILC and roadmap is released, you probably can't even sell it at a reasonable price.

hmmm? why would that be? the MILC is not exactly a replacement for the K5 (nor KR even) and the lens roadmap, if it closes some of the current gaps, will enhance the brand. K5 resale price is probably no worse off until the new flagship model is announced :dunno:

hmmm? why would that be? the MILC is not exactly a replacement for the K5 (nor KR even) and the lens roadmap, if it closes some of the current gaps, will enhance the brand. K5 resale price is probably no worse off until the new flagship model is announced :dunno:

Not the same camera type, but mentality will be tied to the latest stuff.
If it does use the same sensor, I can see it as an alternative option to K5 like o/p.
Esp so since pentax is not canikon and does not purposely cripple their lower end cameras

kinda agree.. this is the biggest flaw of the K5 for me that hasn't been fixed after multiple firmware upgrades and even a trip to Pentax HQ. what's the point of usable ISO6400 when the focus is always off.. that said though, I think the K5 is a much better camera than K20D. more responsive to use, info screen is a great way to view and change options, high fps is great, shutter is sooooo quiet, more comfy grip esp on the battery grip, etc.

i hope my K5 will be finally fixed on the second trip back to Pentax, they took a whole month and returned me a camera that screwed up out of the box, unbelievable...
Same sentiments here. This AF accuracy issue is really a big setback, enough to force me back to my old K20D. I am going to try the AF fine adjustment again tonight or whenever I am free. Too busy with my baby daughter lately. If the baby is crying and you are still playing with your camera, sure will get ear twisting from wife. haha

>> K5 is more decisive.
Its also 16mp compared to 14mp, so that extra pixel peep may result in seeing in-accuracies that were previously not noticed.
Not to mention that you may not have been shooting with the K20D where you would with the K20.
Worst case, do send it in to the service center to check.

>> No improvement, but certaily usable and not hopeless, esp with the newer firmware. Anyway, I do shoot some flash photography and you should really try to learn how to use the flash manually as well to get more control.
Take it as a challenge to pickup something new.
AF on K5 is decisive, BUT it is not always accurate. I would rather have the camera not commit focus lock if it can't give me sharp focus.
P-TTL is essential for me because I cover events for my company. When the show is running, no one will stop to let you take a second shot. Every shot has to be spot on. Manual flash just can't make it in time.

So you're saying that the AF is less accurate?

But as I recall, the K20D couldn't even achieve focus in low light conditions a lot of the time!
Yes AF on K5 is less accurate than K20D. I am alright K20D can't focus in low light. After years with K20D, I quickly switch to MF whenever it can't focus lock. But K5 commits inaccurate focus lock. Thats not reassuring.

.............薑還是老的辣 .......... Samsung GX20 ........... camera 還是Samsung GX20 辣 ............check it out .......... ;)

Same sentiments here. This AF accuracy issue is really a big setback, enough to force me back to my old K20D. I am going to try the AF fine adjustment again tonight or whenever I am free. Too busy with my baby daughter lately. If the baby is crying and you are still playing with your camera, sure will get ear twisting from wife. haha

AF on K5 is decisive, BUT it is not always accurate. I would rather have the camera not commit focus lock if it can't give me sharp focus.
P-TTL is essential for me because I cover events for my company. When the show is running, no one will stop to let you take a second shot. Every shot has to be spot on. Manual flash just can't make it in time.

Yes AF on K5 is less accurate than K20D. I am alright K20D can't focus in low light. After years with K20D, I quickly switch to MF whenever it can't focus lock. But K5 commits inaccurate focus lock. Thats not reassuring.

Actually if you use a prime, your distance to subject won't really vary too much, so Manual flash works fine if not better.
Relying on automatic flash is subjecting to its whims.
If may depend of what flash and firmware you are using too.
My brother uses K5 with AF540, does not seem to have an issue with it from the many times he's used it for family events (parties; gathering; restaurant dinner; etc).

Edit :
BTW, don't take it that I'm trying to beat you down and all that.
I'm just expressing observations of usage based on my experiences and hopefully that work for you too.

Last edited:
i missed k20d it not the best is, if it has a next generation it will be incredible...

hopefully. i love the grip design of the k20d with vertical grip. very the ergonomic for my hands.