Still Life With Wireless Flash HVL-F42AM & 560HS(D)

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hi All,

Thanks for the wait. Here is a snap shot of the Still life shots taken using the Alpha Mount Flashes :

Wireless Flash:
- Minolta 5600HS9D) /Sony HVL-F56AM
- Sony HVL-F42AM

Camera: - Sony Alpha 700

Lens:- Sony 85mm

The Setup as follows:

Setting Your Flash to Wireless Mode:

To setup your camera and flash for Wireless photography, Firstly ensure your Alpha mount flash supports wireless flash. I make an assumption here that we are looking at the DSLR systems - Dynax 7D onwards.

Follow these steps:

1 - Mount Flash on Camera

2 - Power up Camera and Flash together

3 - Go to Menu (depending on your Camera, the location may vary)

4 - Go to the Flash Mode (In A700 its on Camera Seetings Tap No. 2 - First Item is Flash Mode)

5 - Select Flash Mode with OK button and you will get, these options:
a) Fill Flash
b) Rear Sync
c) Wireless

5 - Select Wireless

6 - Thats it!!!, You can take off the flash from camera and repeat the process with the second flash.

7 - Note that we are assuming that all channels are default at Channel 1 for the wireless flash.

As I basically use the stuff in the hotel room, I used a cutting board for the back drop
to be back lit wirelessly with one of the flashes. The shoot was done on a Kitchen Table
top with one flash as the back light to achieve the white background and the other handheld
for lighting Variation.

This illustration describes the placment of the lighting for the backlight. I had to
do this as there is no white wall.

figure4.jpg

figure5.jpg

figure7.jpg

I hand-held the other flash and moved around to get the different effect.

Shots were taken on Aperture Priority.

The result are as follows:

figure8.jpg

figure9.jpg

You'll see that I try to avoid too technical stuff in this short write-up like distance, Metering etc.

Well, this year, I have decided to stick to Automation (after those $$ we paid for to get these into our cameras) and concentrate
in content generation and exploring photography in a more fun & less technical light. Yes the camera is very consistent in its
metered results.

The full article is on my website here - Wireless Flash with Alpha Mount System

may i ask, with both the flash off the camera on wireless mode, is the popup flash used in this shoot? or did u use a wireless trigger of somesort..

Hi there...

In case if you are not familliar with the Alpha Mount flash, The pop up flash is the commander. Nothing extra.
The Pop-up flash will communicate with the flashes.

Rgd,
Sulhan

may i ask, with both the flash off the camera on wireless mode, is the popup flash used in this shoot? or did u use a wireless trigger of somesort..

THe pop-up flash is being used and you might want to reduce the light coming from this flash by decreasing the flash exposure in the menu for it, up to a maximum of -3EV.

wow bro sulhan,
you are very kind to share all this info as all your other tutorial.

check with you, the flash settings are at its default rite

i mean adi flash or pre flash??
does it make a difference, will the camera still meter correctly
did you dial in any flash compensation for the above food shots

thanks

Hi,

If I can recall correctly, I did not have any flash exposure compensation dialed in. Its shot in wireless with flashes usually in manual as I can make fine adjustments based on distance and lighitng position.

rgds,
Sulhan

Hi, if the subject is not too close the pop up flash will not have much effect on the photo taken. Dialing flash compensation will not help here, for it will only compensate the wireless flash power output. If it does affect the photo due to extremely close working distance use a IR filter over the popup flash.

thanks for the lesson... really helped

Very nice.

Actually i am thinking of getting one more flash to accompany my 58am.. not sure what to get... thot abt the 42am.. what you think?

if you have the budget why not go for the flagship 58am again? its good to match with your existing one.

Hmm... Not for now... Ihave been considering already. A friend advised me to just a sunblitz sine i using it asa wireless...

This way I just attach a wirelss trigger on the cam body. At the same time I should be able to now fire the two flashes withouht the built in activated...
if you have the budget why not go for the flagship 58am again? its good to match with your existing one.

When we use the pop up flash as a commander to wirelessly trigger the F42 or F58, it should be TTL ya ?

KM was one of the most simple Wireless Flash to use compared to other systems
i miss my KM setup :(

wireless setup & most are bounced

KM D5D + Sigma 105mm macro + 3600hsd
PICT4917.JPG

PICT4906.JPG

PICT5024.JPG

PICT4899.JPG

@sulhan
is the Orange juice still free lol

Last edited:
So little on the Sony flash... I was hoping to learn more as I hope to know the capability of the Sony Flash system, if I were to migrate from Canon...

Are they using wireless radio wave to set up the sycn in a multiple flash set up??