Still-life photos for the most crude critiques!

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
All done at my own room, no special lightings, just using normal Ikea table lamp. These pictures are merely some trying out of composition and lightings of table-top still-life shoots..

But please feel to give critiques straight from your heart, pinpoint what's not good about any of the pictures below.

original.jpg

Mono Acacia (?)

medium.jpg

Acacia (?)

original.jpg

Lamp

original.jpg

Pepsi

A newbie to this, but I felt that the last shot could have done better. The pepsi bottle is almost hidden in the darkness. Think you could add another light source to make the outline of the bottle more apparent. Well, thats my 2 cents :D

leodo said:
A newbie to this, but I felt that the last shot could have done better. The pepsi bottle is almost hidden in the darkness. Think you could add another light source to make the outline of the bottle more apparent. Well, thats my 2 cents :D

i agree, that the outline of the bottom half is very faint. Maybe somebody can suggest where to place another lighting to make the bottom half outline more obvious?

leodo said:

On contraire, I like the Pepsi bottle the most, because now with the shape of the bottle dissolving away, it feels more like coloured shapes and patterns sticking out of the darkness, instead of just a boring bottle. It's like one of the graphic designs where the shape of the bottle is not there, but implied. In fact, I think if you could blend in the bottle even more, that would be even better!

i personally think a white background for the pepsi will be able to bring out the contours of the bottle. and the use of soft flash will be nice~ but no directly on the bottle la! of cuz.. the first one looks nice... tight cropping... the 2nd one... erm.... still can la.. but then the colours look not "very natural" to me... and the last.. haha.. no need to explain la..

cuz frm the last pic... i think its the Pepsi logo that stands out... u should try to focus more on the contours which is more attracting and more eye catching in the white background.. Black will stand out in the Whites, vice-versa.... :sweat:

Overall : 7 / 10

Dun beat me... i am offering my experiences and opinions..... :cry:

Perhaps a small piece of aluminium foil or other reflector strategically placed behind the bottle may help.

Thanks Glenn and Supperman for your honest critiques!

I believe as from what you guys said, there is much to improve for the Pepsi bottle. When i'm free, i'll set this up again and take with a white background, and see how it'll look. :)

The mono one is good... if only it didn't get chopped off on the top part. The rest are just common.

Playing with the blacks again I see.... what happened to the floating shell?

Azure said:
The mono one is good... if only it didn't get chopped off on the top part. The rest are just common.

Playing with the blacks again I see.... what happened to the floating shell?

For the first picture, why i make such a severe crop is because i want to focus the viewer's attention to the 'blade-like' things of the subject.

The floating shell doesn't seems very good, because i used manual focus, all of them turn out quite blur. i always have a problem focusing manually without split screen..

:thumbsup: especially the lamp one.. btw what white balance settings did u use when using the ikea lamp?

Azure, i might, IF my D30 battery permits :D :D

Jer76, they are all shot using auto WB mode..

I'm newbie too.. may I know how to make the background black ?

behyx said:
All done at my own room, no special lightings, just using normal Ikea table lamp. These pictures are merely some trying out of composition and lightings of table-top still-life shoots..

But please feel to give critiques straight from your heart, pinpoint what's not good about any of the pictures below.

original.jpg

Mono Acacia (?)

medium.jpg

Acacia (?)

original.jpg

Lamp

original.jpg

Pepsi

make backgrd black??? wta bout black cloth???

hey dan.........wat bout using hairlights...for the outline thing....gotta be close to the bottlecap i tink...

light up bottom half of pepsi bottle...kick up board ???

Witness said:
make backgrd black??? wta bout black cloth???

hey dan.........wat bout using hairlights...for the outline thing....gotta be close to the bottlecap i tink...

light up bottom half of pepsi bottle...kick up board ???

Now, you must explain in DETAIL about what are those things you are talking about!! ...

OT: I'm at home now, cos i got ATT C 2 days.. hehe knee swollen leh!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.