-= Still Life : Butter Knife =-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
knife.jpg

hihi MR STEREOBOX. been viewing all your apad projs and everything and i've to say. this is outstanding. ;p

i would prefer a little less 'headroom' on top, just to balance up the black bottom... but all in all,
the photo's nice clean and slick, like slivester mentioned, it looks straight out from a dbs black ad series... really good stuff. :thumbsup:

stereobox is a pro!!!
somehow it looks 2D ... but in other way looks 3D ...

Excellent stuff. How did you suspend the knife like that?

:bigeyes: i'm humbled this little pic is compared to the dbs black series, which was very well-done, in my opinion. but no, i wasn't consciously affected by the ads to do this one hehe

thx for your kind comments, Slivester and desmond- !

thx Koelsch! the pad project is a colloboration between my gf and i. we appreciate your support all along. do post your comments over at our place sometime :)

i'm not a pro, archlover~ :bigeyes: but i'm aspiring to be a commercial still-life/interiors/food photographer, hope to break into these fields.

yup, my intention was to give a 'graphic' treatment to an ordinary object.

grub, the 'trick' is commonly used in product photography to suspend small objects...in fact, i wouldn't even call it a trick :) but i'll pm you instead ... not to spoil the sense of illusion for some of the others~:)

Nice one bro! :thumbsup: looks like theres a slight bit of banding in the light. But overall very balanced already. Good use of light as well. DO you have on in landscape? :)

Chris Lim said:
Nice one bro! :thumbsup: looks like theres a slight bit of banding in the light. But overall very balanced already. Good use of light as well. DO you have on in landscape? :)

thx chris!

the banding isn't in the light, but the CCD's difficulty in registering subtle light graduations. it didn't bother me, so i decided to post this :)

yes, the original was shot in landscape. the final crop works best for me :)

Splutter said:
Nice! Would be great if the black "ground" has some details though.

thank you splutter!

interesting suggestion~

personally, i would avoid showing more details on the 'ground'. firstly, i felt it would distract from the overall 'graphic' feel and attention on the knife, and secondly the 'ground' isn't actually very nice if i told you what it was ;p

I was under the impression that the banding is partly due to jpg compression. I also found difficulty with black and white tonalities for such pics. Any way to fix it?

Oh yeah, interesting crop btw :)

Splutter said:
I was under the impression that the banding is partly due to jpg compression. I also found difficulty with black and white tonalities for such pics. Any way to fix it?

Oh yeah, interesting crop btw :)

get a better quality CCD? :think: :dunno: :bsmilie: hehehe

i'm sure there's a PS/filter way to solve that problem...i just haven't got around to searching for the answer.

oh yea..i forgot...use film lol!

Stereobox said:
grub, the 'trick' is commonly used in product photography to suspend small objects...in fact, i wouldn't even call it a trick :) but i'll pm you instead ... not to spoil the sense of illusion for some of the others~:)
woah, please pm me bout that too! :bsmilie:

it's no 'secret' really. most people who are involved in product photography will know this, or have done a bit of research on the topic.

pm-ed you guys already anyway :)

chris lim has suggested to me a solution regarding the banding issue. apply gaussian blur to a duplicate layer and play around with the transparency levels. thx bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.