still dun understand cropping to 4R.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Apr 7, 2002
West
www.jesterphotography.net
Any kind soul can enlightment me.....have read through the tread on cropping to 4R, but still dun get it... :cry:
it seems that the ratio for 4R is 2:3, so using the PS constraint ration, happily set it and crop it. went to the online photoprint and saw that they want a ratio of 640X480...thats 4:3!!!
so which is which??? :dunno:

Originally posted by Jester
Any kind soul can enlightment me.....have read through the tread on cropping to 4R, but still dun get it... :cry:
it seems that the ratio for 4R is 2:3, so using the PS constraint ration, happily set it and crop it. went to the online photoprint and saw that they want a ratio of 640X480...thats 4:3!!!
so which is which??? :dunno:

just send in what they want lor

can assure you that 4R is definitely 3:2...
there is a 4:3 paper close to 4R size but it's definitely not called 4R, has a special name I can't remember.

the website stated 640x480 probably as a general guideline that for 4R, image resolution should be at least 640x480. This kind of aspect ratio is used so that it can be dummy-friendly I guess, since most digicams shoot in 4:3 ratio. But for the people who know, they will crop to 3:2 so that the printer will not crop anyhow for them.

just send in your 3:2 cropped images, it should turn out fine. ;)

hmmmm....maybe different printing service have different setting, just have to go along with them....

well, thanks a lot you guys. now dun know to redo my image, just send them to another service thats does 2:3 one :D

i guess u posted just after I did...:D

anyway, refering to my previous post, just send in your 3:2 images. Regardless of the printer/developer, 4R is always 3:2.

Originally posted by Jester
hmmmm....maybe different printing service have different setting, just have to go along with them....

well, thanks a lot you guys. now dun know to redo my image, just send them to another service thats does 2:3 one :D

whatever printing service, if you print 4R, any pics not in 3:2 format will be cropped arbitrarily by them and you may get chopped heads or missing items.

Is cropping required to get images printed? I tried cropping an image using PS by following some steps mentioned in digipix's thread, and the cropped image "ruins" the whole pic!

Anyway, I was at Orchard yesterday, checked out a printing lab (Soo Kee?) at Lucky Plaza and the lady there said that all I need to do is send in the images and they'll take care of the rest. I wonder how "safe" is it gonna be? I've got at least a hundred pics to print so don't want to be sorry liao.

:Later,

cropping is not required but it is recommended. It's just a matter of whether you trust the lab to crop it for you tastefully or not.

As for cropping "ruining" your pic, perhaps you can describe more? I know that you can't use PS6 to crop if you print at ColourLab, because the printing machine cannot handle it properly and will print erroneously. Don't know if the same applies for PS7 though. I've used PS5.5 to crop to 3:2 and results are perfect.

Originally posted by Tweek
cropping is not required but it is recommended. It's just a matter of whether you trust the lab to crop it for you tastefully or not.

As for cropping "ruining" your pic, perhaps you can describe more? I know that you can't use PS6 to crop if you print at ColourLab, because the printing machine cannot handle it properly and will print erroneously. Don't know if the same applies for PS7 though. I've used PS5.5 to crop to 3:2 and results are perfect.
With ruining I meant being forced to discard some portion of the image (ie, full body with background becomes half-body with background etc)

Can't it just be printed "as is"? As in, what I see on the image is what I get?

Originally posted by Pinoy
Is cropping required to get images printed? I tried cropping an image using PS by following some steps mentioned in digipix's thread, and the cropped image "ruins" the whole pic!

Anyway, I was at Orchard yesterday, checked out a printing lab (Soo Kee?) at Lucky Plaza and the lady there said that all I need to do is send in the images and they'll take care of the rest. I wonder how "safe" is it gonna be? I've got at least a hundred pics to print so don't want to be sorry liao.

its best to crop it. what i heard is that they either
1) crop for you ?!? (dun know how true)
2) just resize and print (may get a short and ugly pics)
3) just print and have white borders to fit into size
4) they throw back the image at you!!! (just kidding)

dun want to risk any of it, so have to ask first before rending for print.

Originally posted by Pinoy
With ruining I meant being forced to discard some portion of the image (ie, full body with background becomes half-body with background etc)

Can't it just be printed "as is"? As in, what I see on the image is what I get?

i see i see...misunderstood u earlier. :D I thought you meant after cropping, the lab printed differently from what you sent in.

You can print as is, just have to ask to print on the 4:3 paper (can't remember what it is called). Or you can also choose to print with white borders at the sides so that you can cut the 4:3 picture out of the 3:2 paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.