Sticking shutter for D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Wonder if Nikon SG would repair/replace shutter mechanism for the cam which is still under warranty (obviously). I am getting this err msg on the shutter count in the VF. How much would it cost if they were to charge? Camera Hospital near Burlington Sq/Peace Center better?

Thanks.

BTW, i suspect that the life of the shutter may be up, thus my concern on warranty. They might classify it under "normal wear and tear" thus repairs are chargeable even though under warranty?

2100 said:
Wonder if Nikon SG would repair/replace shutter mechanism for the cam which is still under warranty (obviously). I am getting this err msg on the shutter count in the VF. How much would it cost if they were to charge? Camera Hospital near Burlington Sq/Peace Center better?

Thanks.

Nikon should work on it for free since it is under warranty. Unless, the problem was caused by you.

Am I wrong in my observations but is the D70 a bit of a dud when it comes to reliability/quality?

What with backfocussing problems, software bugs,et al. A lot of owners seem to be having a few problems with it.

Tetrode said:
Nikon should work on it for free since it is under warranty. Unless, the problem was caused by you.

Am I wrong in my observations but is the D70 a bit of a dud when it comes to reliability/quality?

What with backfocussing problems, software bugs,et al. A lot of owners seem to be having a few problems with it.
What software bugs?

Yeah, the same question I can ask about the 10D dust, and 24-70L's BF. A lot is overhyped, go count the number of owners against the number people who've really had such a problem.

Btw, if the shutter dies whilst in warranty, you can get it replaced FOC. Once the warranty is up, you'll have to pay for replacement of shutter.

If you get ERR in the VF, it might be the lens wasn't set to the smallest aperture as needed by the bodies. Try again. Else all fails send in for repair.

2100 said:

Thanks.

It should be repaired/replaced under warranty if it wasn't your fault - don't think the shutter failing within a few months to be considered normal wear and tear - BTW how many shots have you fired ?

Tetrode said:

No lar, actually the BF problems and such, if you look carefully are posted by a lot of the same people with them.. a lot of other posts consists of people wanting to know how to test it, *think* they have BF etc (at least on the DPReview forums). Its an excellent camera to have and shoot, as a lot of amateurs (like me) and even lots of pros will tell you :)

Thought the shutter has a life calculated in the tens of thousands of exposures.. you already took that many to warrant a replacement? :bigeyes:

But yes, the camera is still under warranty, and I believe its sufficiently new to be considered as wear and tear, IMHO. Send back to Nikon first la, no point paying for a service that you'd (most probably) get a warranty cover for

Tetrode said:

Oh...relax.....i was just wonder if the shutter life is up coz my count is like 50 or 60k. Can't remember. But the counter did recycle to 0001 for quite a few times already.

BF, just drop it at Nikon SG, accurate as hell after that. :) Just did that.

espn said:
Btw, if the shutter dies whilst in warranty, you can get it replaced FOC. Once the warranty is up, you'll have to pay for replacement of shutter.

If you get ERR in the VF, it might be the lens wasn't set to the smallest aperture as needed by the bodies. Try again. Else all fails send in for repair.

Thanks, that is the ans i am looking for. :D Warranty still kicking, FOC. No more warranty, wallet bleeds. :cry:

I know if the aperture ring is not at max it won't work, so was thinking if it was my tamron 28-70 bad connection or ring spoilt or what (i dropped it before you see), so i changed to Sigma 18-50 which has no aperture ring. Occasionally still get that. I press and the shutter cannot fire (no Err), press a few more times and still sticky, then shows Err, then it goes into macam 8fps D2H auto mode and shoots off 5 or 6 frames.....then it works. Thus the term "sticky".

Will check more. thx :)

gooseberry said:
It should be repaired/replaced under warranty if it wasn't your fault - don't think the shutter failing within a few months to be considered normal wear and tear - BTW how many shots have you fired ?

Not matter of how many months but rather usage lor, i got it in end Feb. I shoot a lot, and last time i was testing stuff like Lexar 40X WA vs Sandisk, i could whack 100+ frames in one go. ;p

Anyway, real pros (those working in PJ or sports esp with high fps cams) shoot a couple of Ks a day, so i am nothing lor. Get a 1DM2 and 40mins of continuous usage the shutter will fail too, no matter that it's a pro shutter and can easily do 300k. ;p

2100 said:
Oh...relax.....i was just wonder if the shutter life is up coz my count is like 50 or 60k. Can't remember. But the counter did recycle to 0001 for quite a few times already.

BF, just drop it at Nikon SG, accurate as hell after that. :) Just did that.

You are right. They may not replace it for free if you have exceed the lifespan of the shutter.(according to their standard). Same applies to extended warranty stuff. They will only replace it FOC if it has not exceed the lifespan of the mechanism.

2100 said:
Thanks, that is the ans i am looking for. :D Warranty still kicking, FOC. No more warranty, wallet bleeds. :cry:

I know if the aperture ring is not at max it won't work, so was thinking if it was my tamron 28-70 bad connection or ring spoilt or what (i dropped it before you see), so i changed to Sigma 18-50 which has no aperture ring. Occasionally still get that. I press and the shutter cannot fire (no Err), press a few more times and still sticky, then shows Err, then it goes into macam 8fps D2H auto mode and shoots off 5 or 6 frames.....then it works. Thus the term "sticky".

Will check more. thx :)

From your description of the problem.. it doesnt appear to be a shutter mech problem.. but more like a electronic problem between the shutter release to the shutter mech. I would try this.. turn the CF card protection off.. and test fire without the CF card.. did you check the buffer counter? was it R00.. I seriously doubt that the shutter mech will die so soon..

Btw.. what do you should.. you have like 50K over shots? You cam is like about 3months plus?

gadrian said:
Btw.. what do you should.. you have like 50K over shots? You cam is like about 3months plus?

That amazed me too :eek:
50k+ / 200days .. is around 250 frames / day .... and that's everyday, day in day out.

as a newbie, I normally spent only 1000 frames / month :embrass:

maybe i need to go out more :think:

xmen2003 said:
You are right. They may not replace it for free if you have exceed the lifespan of the shutter.(according to their standard). Same applies to extended warranty stuff. They will only replace it FOC if it has not exceed the lifespan of the mechanism.

I have heard some similar experiences regarding car stuffs like brake pads / discs, suspension (leaking dampers) etc. They'd usually claim "normal wear and tear". Usually if it's really early in the warranty period they'd change it FOC provided you make a lot of noise. I know how to make noise provided that i have grounds to do so. Having good connections with a good service advisor helps too (so do look out for the employee of the month. :D ).

But a car costs more than 20X than a camera! :sweat:

gadrian said:
From your description of the problem.. it doesnt appear to be a shutter mech problem.. but more like a electronic problem between the shutter release to the shutter mech. I would try this.. turn the CF card protection off.. and test fire without the CF card.. did you check the buffer counter? was it R00.. I seriously doubt that the shutter mech will die so soon..

Ok, will do. I read in dpreview that a minor number of 300Ds shutter began to konk out as early as 20k. And for prosumer cams, i read 50k is pretty decent. I read a 80k figure for D70 on dpreview but many argued that that is too optimistic a number. For professional bodies, i think the figure is 300k, but they ever found out a dunno what pro Nikon body fired off more than a mil when the Nikon tech guys looked at it (not here in SG though). Of coz, all read from the net, i have never seen an official number from any Nikon website.

My main worry is coz it fires off at somewhat like 8fps for a couple of frames like 5 times after being stuck. Then ok liao. That is mechanical, coz the electronics cannot handle that fast.

I usually shoot in large jpg normal mode (1.5mb per shot) to cramp more into the CF. :) I think i was practising with the cam in the first week and i already hit past 1.5k to test the battery. :sweatsm: I needed the burst stamina of the D70 for a big event, the practising alone to test AF-S, AF-C, metering and how to aim during bursting (ie AF-S it will still try to AF properly in between shots, that is why some complain that their body can't do so-called 3fps...that's due to non-static subject) already got me past 10k and the counter recycles back to square 1. After that just a few small events, weddings, trips to Indonesia. Those smaller informal "product" kinda shots for my friends/colleagues i think doesn't make a difference lor. Plus that time on dpreview and here i was testing between whether Ultra II or Lexar WA makes a difference versus to slower cards, each full burst in esp in normal jpg mode which can last into > 100 frames no joke. :bsmilie:
Come to think of it, i was pretty bo liao.

Tetrode said:

Hello

May I know what is a Back focusing problem???

2100 said:

Thanks.

And whay is a sticking shutter???
And what is a VF???

2100 said:
For professional bodies, i think the figure is 300k, but they ever found out a dunno what pro Nikon body fired off more than a mil when the Nikon tech guys looked at it (not here in SG though)..

That dunno what pro Nikon body is a Nikon F5..

From Nikon's Press Release..

Record breaking Nikon F5

Wednesday November 5, 2003

Record breaking Nikon F5

Service engineers at Nikon’s German Service Centre were amazed to discover during routine servicing recently that a Nikon F5 had achieved 1,092,904 shutter releases without fault.

Translating into about 35 kilometers of film this figure is a testament to the durable design of the mechanism, now also shared by the latest Nikon D2H Professional Digital SLR.

To put the 1,092,904 shutter releases into context, it equates to 34 hours of continuous shooting at 8 frames per second.

The camera is one of the bodies used in the Matthaus Photographic Studio in Nuremburg, Germany.

Record Breaking F5

You problem actually sounds more of a shutter release problem them a shutter mech.. have it checked out by Nikon..

yoyo said:
And whay is a sticking shutter???
And what is a VF???

In 2100's case.. when depressing the shutter release.. his cam can easily fire off 8frames before stopping.. (as he describes it).. at which points make me think the shutter release could be the main problem..

VF - View Finder.

Alright, shutter release problem.

Oh...i was just fiddling with it and found out the msg for apeture not set to max is "fEE" in the center of the VF and the shutter counter is still displaying ok, and not ERR in the shutter counter. So i can rule out incorrect aperture ring position.

I just wanked off another 2.2k just now. :bsmilie:

gadrian said:
In 2100's case.. when depressing the shutter release.. his cam can easily fire off 8frames before stopping.. (as he describes it).. .

Minor correction....more like 8fps for maybe 5 frames or so. Couldn't count, but less than 1 second. I have heard 1DM2 bursts before up close, so should be around there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.