Stick to nikon and get a d700 or get a 7d

D700 or 7D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenwing

Sep 2, 2006
Hey guys I just sold my d90 and I have kept 2of my lenses the 80-200mm two touch and the 35-70mm both 2.8.

I am in kl now and I have been looking to buy the d700 for 3000sgd but some shops have been telling me about 7d do you think I should stick the getting a d700 or change to canon 7d hai...... Confused hahha

You might want to try both the camera in the shop and see which one you are comfortable with. Other than price, are you looking for certain features or just full frame?

There are huge differences.. the D700 is full frame, the 7D is not. You already have Nikon lenses, so factor in the cost of getting the Canon lenses too.

Chances are, the salesman sees you as a "big commission" ticket and just wants to push the 7D onto you.

the salesman sees you as a "big commission" ticket??? Can you elaborate more? there are some shops that really push 7D.

By the way I am in the same position as you. I just sold my D90. Now really thinking of getting a D300S or a 7D.

Is full frame really that good?

All depends on your shooting styles.

If you want outright better dynamic range/ISO performance/awesome DOF/UWA, FF won't go wrong

If you constantly shoot stuffs further away(longer reach), macro(requiring deeper DOF), cash-strapped for FF lenses, you will appreciate the narrower angle of view("reach") and relative affordability of DX/APS-C format.

On top of that, the 7D/D300s has video recording option, and it might open up a whole new world of videography to you ;)

D300S actually feature a auto focus in tripod mode during video taking..that's a big plus..

Given the price difference and your current setup, D700.

the salesman sees you as a "big commission" ticket??? Can you elaborate more? there are some shops that really push 7D.

Commission is the money that sales men get for selling cameras. So when you enter the shop and eye at the 7D the sales men gets already wet hands .. or wet pants .. cause he can see the potential money he can make from you.

TS: Are you hunting features? Which features of your sold D90 were not up to par with your requirements? To me it looks as if you are just jumping in anything fancy that pops up in the shops. Finally your money, but along that line you can't expect much advice here. It's quite close to the question "Which is better, brand C or brand N?"

If u got a 35 - 70mm f2.8, i suggest you get a d700, u may just save a another wide angle lens... :) , it will appear to be wider in a d700 then your d90.

U already have 2 great FX lens.. And why are u contemplating gg bk to APC cropped sensor? Bear in mind u need to offload ur existing setup and switch system, are u willing to take that loss? And readapting to Canon system which will require some time getting used. And ask urself do u really need the HD video recording features?

For that mere 700+ price diff, i will go FF if i will u and save the need to learn a new system and waste more $ on b/s

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
stick with nikon since you already have nikon lenses.

Switch to Leica!

Hey guys I just sold my d90 and I have kept 2of my lenses the 80-200mm two touch and the 35-70mm both 2.8.

I am in kl now and I have been looking to buy the d700 for 3000sgd but some shops have been telling me about 7d do you think I should stick the getting a d700 or change to canon 7d hai...... Confused hahha

Why on earth did you sell off your D90 if you don't know what camera to get?
Both the cameras you've shortlisted are pretty high up the pecking order.
You're not likely to be buying these cameras on a whim, so you should know what you're getting into.

What is the reason why you're considering the Canon 7D...? Because the salesman is pushing it to you...?

Last edited:
u already got two full frame wonderfully performing nikon zooms. why jump ship. stick to Nikon

ryan

Leica M9

Status
Not open for further replies.