Sterna albifrons series I: The Juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
The Sterna albifrons or Little Terns are common breeding migrants to our island city state.

7aug04-littleterns-03.jpg

A juvenile little tern struggling to maintain its balance on a stop-gap resting platform, a floating piece of plastic container.
Adaptation for survival becomes ever more important for these birds in our ever-shriking nature-scape.

During the breeding season, juvenile Little Terns are still largely reliant on their parents for food while they practice their dive fishing techniques over large water sources, this is a key survial skill in their coming adult years.

7aug04-littleterns-05.jpg

7aug04-littleterns-04.jpg
7aug04-littleterns-06.jpg

A juvenile tern chriping and dancing merrily in anticipation of the arrival of an adult.

The sight of an adult tern coming its way never cease to excite the juvenile, chirping <<Click this symbol to hear it while dancing round-and-round merrily, it is almost ritual as it seems and certainly a joyous moment to witness.

... continued in next post

Food for the young ones ...
7aug04-littleterns-07.jpg

7aug04-littleterns-01.jpg

7aug04-littleterns-02.jpg

Little Terns feed primarily on fishes from their habitat. To feed its young, an adult tern swings in to “drop off” its catch to the juvenile in a split second display of accuracy and flying prowess.

With an ever-shrinking nature-scape, birds like the Little Terns find themselves forced into adapting the unknown human world or face extinction. This is a sad fact that laments many nature lovers and a clear reminder that more has to be done to protect Nature.

As our Nation steps into its 39th year of independence with new leadership, I sincerely hope that more effort can be directed into protecting precious nature-scapes in Singapore so that our future generations can continue to enjoying the beauty of Mother nature in the purest form, and hopefully, one that is still unadulterated by mankind.

Happy Birthday Singapore!

For your comments and critiques. :)

:thumbsup: All these are solid pictures. Do you know how many times I scroll my screen up and down watching them over and over again. :bigeyes:

Superb. :thumbsup:

Nothing but compliments. Well done, can't wait for tomorrow to see the rest of the article.

It quite a coincidence that on both occassions ie when the tern shoot begin and this article is posted I am in Taiwan.

Cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you tanhb. ccplim, capricon, sonix and chngpe01 for your comments and input :)

chngpe01: Yup it really is a coincidence, I really hope to be able to further document these beautiful birds with you next year, I believe a fuller series will be most helpful to the nature community here. Btw, the full article on the other one is delayed, work commitments lately is really ... ack, tiring both physically and mentally. :(

Thanks to you guys, my sigma 50-500 and 488RC2 already on the way..... :sweat: Basket..... Start cheap first together with a Manfrotto 680.

But 2nd hand lar... :embrass:

How come suddenly so many tern pics? Great man.

Well done my friend! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks 2100 and SK :)

2100: Nice going and welcome to the growing family of nature photographers here in ClubSNAP! Everyone has to start somewhere, ain't it? ;) That's quite a decent setup you have there, hope to see your work soon! Keep shooting! ;)

PS. The little terns are in season lately but heck, this is my only post about them :D

The angle you were shooting in definately gives a different perspective.
Very good shots there.

But then, no matter which angle we were in, our bums still get burnt !!!

IMPRESSIVE!!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Tis is by far the best terns post I seen here so far. I always enjoy your effort putting up all the informative materials wif excellent photos+sounds. makes me wantin for more everytime! I remember an earlier comment by s-wrx that u have the hidden potential 2 shine in tis scene which I totally agree to. I can't wait 2 c more from u! keep it up matey! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Superb series, echoing chngpe01's words, nothing but compliments! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: When viewing these pics (and those ur fellow photogs shot) I have an overwhelming desire welling up from deep inside me to just go out, sit on the hot sand or whatever for a whole afternoon and just shoot these guys. :D It must have been a wonderful experience, and you have captured well the essence of these birds thru your shots. The feeding shots especially are stellar.

Well done!!!!

very good!!!:thumbsup:

Ben

forgot 2 ask where u all shoot the terns? can email me?

Thanks Phil, Matthew, Garion, lhjz and benchang for your valuable input and kind comments.

Phil: My friend, burnt bums aren't anything at all given the rare opportunity and the chance for me to do something for the naturescape in Singapore. ;)

Matthew: I am truly humbled. I enjoy documentaries so this is just my style of expressing my POV, others may choose to do it more exclusively with their way though. There are many competent nature photographers in our forum, that's a good sign for the nature scene in Singapore. This can help to promote the awareness and need to conserve our naturescape. :)

Garion: Thanks pal, hope you were with us, try making it next time ok? ;)

benchang: My apologies but I have prior agreement with my team to preserve the info. Please email me, let us it from there and see what can we come up with. :)

Excellent Shots with a Very Interesting read :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Your Images and Writings shows your immerse passion for Nature, and its a great inspiration to others :)

geoyip said:
Excellent Shots with a Very Interesting read :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Your Images and Writings shows your immerse passion for Nature, and its a great inspiration to others :)

Thanks geoyip, I hope more will join us in our effort to protect nature for our future generations so that they can enjoy the beauty in its truest form too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.