step-up ring..

Status
Not open for further replies.

skopio

Nov 26, 2006
after reading up abit, general recommendation for filter is to buy 1 or 2 more common sizes, then for the oddball diameter lenses, just use step up ring.

is this ok? if use step-up ring, got higher chance of distortion (due to filter being further away from lens front element.)?

Are you refering to the Cokin system?

If so, it's just one holder for the filters. Then there is the adapter ring that connects the filter holder to the lens. This adapter ring comes in different sizes to fit your lens' threads. So all you have to do is purchase different adapter rings for your Cokin filter system.

Bernard

i mean filters in general. like also ND filters, etc. on extreme wide angles, will using step up increase distortion?

after reading up abit, general recommendation for filter is to buy 1 or 2 more common sizes, then for the oddball diameter lenses, just use step up ring.

is this ok? if use step-up ring, got higher chance of distortion (due to filter being further away from lens front element.)?
i don see how the filter will induce any distortion... only vignette, flare... etc

i don see how the filter will induce any distortion... only vignette, flare... etc

ok, so no distortion? then will step-up ring induce vignetting or flare?

okok, are there any disadvantages at all to using step-up rings?

ok, so no distortion? then will step-up ring induce vignetting or flare?

okok, are there any disadvantages at all to using step-up rings?
might vignette, might not be able to use lens hood.

might vignette, might not be able to use lens hood.

This is correct. Vignetting may occur as you stack up your filters. Lens hood will also not fit with filter holder on.

Bernard

ok. many thanks to you guys! =)

Hi skopio,

may I inquire as to the types of filters you are interested in using?

If you are just thinking of ND, Sunset, Polarizers, etc....why not use the Cokin system? They have basically 2 formats that we (DSLR camera users) are interested in, namely the "A" and "P" systems. The "P" system consists of larger pieces of filter material. This helps to cut down vignetting when using a wide angle lens, of course, the "P" system is more expensive than the smaller sized "A" system.

Bernard

What filter are you intend to use with step-up ring ? If it is just UV, dun bother to use it.

Hi skopio,

may I inquire as to the types of filters you are interested in using?

If you are just thinking of ND, Sunset, Polarizers, etc....why not use the Cokin system? They have basically 2 formats that we (DSLR camera users) are interested in, namely the "A" and "P" systems. The "P" system consists of larger pieces of filter material. This helps to cut down vignetting when using a wide angle lens, of course, the "P" system is more expensive than the smaller sized "A" system.

Bernard

so basically the P system filter area is larger than the A system?

whats the point of the A system then.. other than cost?

i intend to get nd & cpl filter. so buy cokin? what does a basic working system consist of?

so basically the P system filter area is larger than the A system?

whats the point of the A system then.. other than cost?

i intend to get nd & cpl filter. so buy cokin? what does a basic working system consist of?

Hi skopio,

yes, basically the "P" system is larger than the "A" system.

You can check out their website. Just search YAHOO for the words "cokin" and "filter". They have pictures that describe their filter system, and this comes with charts that show the difference between the 2 systems.

For a hands-on, go down to Cathay Photo. They carry a large range of Cokin filters with the relevant accessories. Try it out and see if you like it before buying....one man's drink is another's poison.

I have been using the Cokin system since 1991 ;p Personally, I find it very convenient. I will probably pop down to Cathay Photo this weekend to purchase a 62mm adapter ring ($15) for my new lens. With this system, one only needs to buy an adapter ring to match the diameters of the lenses one has. The holder and filters are not affected by the change of lens (unless the new lens diameter is bigger than the filter size, that's why "P" system is better because it's bigger).

I'm pretty happy with their Circular Polarizer :thumbsup:

What sort of Neutral Density filter are you thinking of, and what kind of shots are you interested in shooting with the ND filter?

Bernard

Hi skopio,

yes, basically the "P" system is larger than the "A" system.

You can check out their website. Just search YAHOO for the words "cokin" and "filter". They have pictures that describe their filter system, and this comes with charts that show the difference between the 2 systems.

For a hands-on, go down to Cathay Photo. They carry a large range of Cokin filters with the relevant accessories. Try it out and see if you like it before buying....one man's drink is another's poison.

I have been using the Cokin system since 1991 ;p Personally, I find it very convenient. I will probably pop down to Cathay Photo this weekend to purchase a 62mm adapter ring ($15) for my new lens. With this system, one only needs to buy an adapter ring to match the diameters of the lenses one has. The holder and filters are not affected by the change of lens (unless the new lens diameter is bigger than the filter size, that's why "P" system is better because it's bigger).

I'm pretty happy with their Circular Polarizer :thumbsup:

What sort of Neutral Density filter are you thinking of, and what kind of shots are you interested in shooting with the ND filter?

Bernard

ah.. this is informative..

how abt the tianya filters that are going ard cs? are the the benro equivalent of filters?

as for use, mainly to reduce exposure so can slow shutter speed, etc.

how abt the tianya filters that are going ard cs? are the the benro equivalent of filters?

do benro make filter? :think:

personally i find tianya extremely good, i wun dare to say quality is as good as cokin, but the price is just :bigeyes: @ only about 5-10% of a cokin equiv.

Hi skopio,

I have no experience with other brands of filters except for Cokin.

According to ExplorerZ, the price of tianya is only a fraction that of a Cokin filter. If the quality is indeed somewhat comparable, I guess there isn't much to lose in trying it out. The Cokin system can be rather expensive if you intend to collect a whole battery of filters....but usually a few key filters should suffice, one can easily PhotoShop most of the special effects anyway ;)

Bernard

P.S.: Yeah, I do possess an ND 8X Cokin "P" filter. Useful for slowing shutter speeds....don't usually use it though....

Bernard

er.. if i buy the tianya system.. later if i want use cokin filter can attach to tianya system right? after all its only a piece of glass?

do benro make filter? :think:

personally i find tianya extremely good, i wun dare to say quality is as good as cokin, but the price is just :bigeyes: @ only about 5-10% of a cokin equiv.

i meant equivalent.. meaning since benro mimick gitzo, so tianya mimick cokin?
so the quality of tianya vs cokin should be like benro vs gitzo?

if like that i rather go for tianya. haha.:D

er.. if i buy the tianya system.. later if i want use cokin filter can attach to tianya system right? after all its only a piece of glass?
well, i do not have a cokin filter to do comparison in size, but i think i heard someone said before the tianya is able to fit in cokin holder, so it should be the roughly same size.

btw tianya ain't made of glass, they are made of plastic =x... i dropped mine twice if it was glass... my heart gonna broke together as each cokin is $100+++ from what i heard

i meant equivalent.. meaning since benro mimick gitzo, so tianya mimick cokin?
so the quality of tianya vs cokin should be like benro vs gitzo?

if like that i rather go for tianya. haha.:D
i can't do a comparison here as well since i don't own cokin/benro/gitzo... i only own my poor man tianya and slik =x

heres a review about tianya
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=239090&highlight=tianya+review

Status
Not open for further replies.