step-up ring - care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
care to share on what a step-up ring (or is it filter) can do? was looking for 72 & 77 mm CPL but the guy told me that I would just need to buy a 72 mm CPL then sell a step-ring. I don't quite understand what he meant by that as he is also a bit busy...

thank you

Step-up ring is used to allow a lens of smaller thread size to accept a filter, lens hood or other accessories of larger diameter. For me, I use a 72-77mm step-up ring for my 18-200 Originally, the 18-200 accepts the 72mm filters but I know I will be getting a 12-24 which has a thread size of 77mm. Therefore, I bought the step-up ring and a 77mm circular polariser, thinking that I will be able to share the filter between the two lenses.

Step-up ring is used to allow a lens of smaller thread size to accept a filter, lens hood or other accessories of larger diameter. For me, I use a 72-77mm step-up ring for my 18-200 Originally, the 18-200 accepts the 72mm filters but I know I will be getting a 12-24 which has a thread size of 77mm. Therefore, I bought the step-up ring and a 77mm circular polariser, thinking that I will be able to share the filter between the two lenses.

that was fast...thanks brother...we almost have the same setup...thank you so much :thumbsup:

There is advantages and disadvantages of using such ring

advantages
- cut cost
- less filters store in the cabinet

disadvantages
- sometimes the ring stucks on the lens when mount too tight
- take more times to setup a filter

Another possible disadvantage of step-up ring is you might get vignetting on some lenses, especially the wide or ultra-wide ones. But usually stopping down will eliminate the problem and IMHO the cost saving outweigh the disadvantages. I'm using a step-up ring on my 18-200 to share filters with my other lenses as well. :)

For me, the step-up ring has now become a part of my 18-200. There will be less wearing on the thread if you just leave it on the lens (I also bought the 77mm lens cap). Also, effort in screwing in filters is pretty much the same, with or without the ring. The only problem I foresee will be vignetting, which I am still not good at detecting.

Another possible disadvantage of step-up ring is you might get vignetting on some lenses, especially the wide or ultra-wide ones. But usually stopping down will eliminate the problem and IMHO the cost saving outweigh the disadvantages. I'm using a step-up ring on my 18-200 to share filters with my other lenses as well. :)

if you step up to a wide angle should be ok. like 77mm for wide angle and 72mm zoom.

if you get a 77mm filter with a step up ring shoudl do fine.
if you get a 72mm filter, the wide angle will have problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.