Step Up & Down Adapter Qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

pRoLoS3r

Nov 15, 2005
Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
Hi peepz .... I am new to photography ... so very nub ... hope can forgive me :)

I hope you peepz can enlighten me about step up & step down adapter for FSLR
1) Are these adapters mounted(Like Canon or Nikon mount) or izzit screw-ons to the lens ??
(I have no idea about it, pls englighten :D )
2) These adapters got limit that it can change ??
(Example: can a adapter change the diameter from 67mm to 55mm without affecting the pic? on the negative ? izzit will have black corners or ??? izzit okz?)

I tried finding some material about it ... but i cant find anything useful for my understanding

Please enlighten me :) . If have websites regarding it, It is greatly appreciated :D

Thank you

Most filters are specified as screw mount, and the screw thread size, example 52mm screw thread. U need to buy the filter that fit the screw size of your lens front screw thread, common ones are 52mm, 58mm, 77mm etc. (the bigger size are more expensive)
Normally u screw the filter onto your lens front, there are exceptions but the common ones are screw on.
Most step-up step-down rings are only about 5mm difference, example 52>58mm or 72>77mm. Of course if u have a small size filter and a big size lens then u would have dark corners on photos.

The Stepping Ring below easy to get from Singapore Camera Shop?

Stepping Ring 52-67mm
Stepping Ring 58-67mm
Stepping Ring 55-67mm

Someone said the price for each is about $5.

i got an equote from CP. 58mm to 67mm is $8. not sure if elsewhere is cheaper. anyone here knows?

Everyone thanks alot for the guide :)
I know abit more le :D :thumbsup:

philipcs said:
The Stepping Ring below easy to get from Singapore Camera Shop?

Stepping Ring 52-67mm
Stepping Ring 58-67mm
Stepping Ring 55-67mm

Someone said the price for each is about $5.

Sorryz i would like to ask 1 more qns ....
As philipcs said, there are stepping ring for 55-67mm, it is step up or down or both ? :D

Btw, if you guys are given a choice to buy

1) a CPL at 67mm and a step-up adapter for 55mm to 67mm (if such adapter exist?? do it ?) ????

OR

2) Cokin p filter system?? (can have both 55mm and 67 mm ring )

which one will you guys choose ? can briefly say why ???

Can anyone share the cheapest price of a cokin p filter system also ? ;p

Appreciate the help by you peepz, I am sorry if i am asking too much.

pRoLoS3r said:
Everyone thanks alot for the guide :)
I know abit more le :D :thumbsup:

Sorryz i would like to ask 1 more qns ....
As philipcs said, there are stepping ring for 55-67mm, it is step up or down or both ? :D

Btw, if you guys are given a choice to buy

1) a CPL at 67mm and a stepdown adapter for 55mm to 67mm????

OR

2) Cokin p filter system??

which one will you guys choose ?

Can anyone share the cheapest price of a cokin p filter system also ? ;p

Appreciate the help by you peepz
I would suggest u to choose (1) above.

I will choose 1. reason is CPL is expensive but stepping ring is cheap.

so you can buy 1 large size CPL and use with many smaller lenses with step down ring. :)

i have 52mm filters but my lens is 58mm. is it advised to attach them using a step up adapter?

i just held my filters close to a skylight filter that i've attached and it seems that i have dark corners. does a step up ring eliminate the dark corners? please enlighten! :) thanks

antitrust said:
i have 52mm filters but my lens is 58mm. is it advised to attach them using a step up adapter?

i just held my filters close to a skylight filter that i've attached and it seems that i have dark corners. does a step up ring eliminate the dark corners? please enlighten! :) thanks

Dude

normally i get a bigger filter and use a step up ring for the smaller lens (eg 72mm lens-77mm filter).
But since u have 52mm filter n 58mm lens then u wud need a step down ring. tis set up wud tend to give vignetting problems tho.

FYI the term step up or step down is always fm lens to filter.
I.e step up = 72mm lens to 77mm filter
step down = 58mm lens to 52mm filter
tat's how i remember it. But worse case wen u'r buyin just look wat it says on the lens and filter end.

Status
Not open for further replies.