SteinZeiser filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

margaret39

Jan 2, 2010
London
I am in Singapore at the moment and was really ripped off in buying equipment. I returned to shop and got a refund but even so I think I have wasted my money. I bought a National Geographic Monopod and two SteinZeiser CPL filters 58 and 77 mm. plus a copy Canon wireless remote. Final payment was 200 S$. However can't find these filters listed anywhere and wondered if they were complete rubbish.

They are complete rubbish. All you have to do is search here on CS for "Steinzeiser". Also, if you had looked in the consumers corner or the priceguides section, you would have seen the list of recommended shops.

Always research before buying.

I have only just joined this forum. What is CS. I think I will have to go back to the shop. What could I buy instead as he is not going to refund. Thank you.

I have only just joined this forum. What is CS. I think I will have to go back to the shop. What could I buy instead as he is not going to refund. Thank you.

CS is this forum, ClubSnap.

There's nothing you can do. Going back to that shop will just mean he'll sell you more stuff and rip you off even further.

I thought Harvey Norman is the only one selling this crap brand. If you can return and get at least a Tokina. I have learn lesson to avoid this brand for both UV and CPL, this brand is very prominent to ghosting.

CS is referring to ClubSnap

All is simple when you know how. Only I am having great difficulty negotiating this site and cannot find anything In Consumers Corner on any of the equipment I bought. Please be kind and help me!!!!

He did give me a Tokina and then when I went back to complain about the rip off he replaced the 58 with a Steinzeiser. The Tokina had no imfo on the box and I thought it was fake. What grade of Tokina CPL should I get for the 58 and 77mm as I think there are many.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad shopping experience here in Singapore. It happens to uninformed shoppers, even to Singaporeans.

CS refers to 'ClubSnap', the forum you're on right now.

Singaporeans have a thing about abbreviating (almost) everything and apply it even in written communication.

Your first post mentioned you already got a refund, and your latest post sound like you haven't.

I'm not sure which is which, but if it's the latter, and some sort of exchange is offered, stick to the well known brands of filters like Hoya (MC - multicoat, SMC - Super Multi Coat or the Pro Digital series). You probably won't be offered other higher end brands like B+W, unless you're willing to top up the difference. For convenience, some of the better brands of filters are Hoya (MC, SMC, Pro Digital), B+W (MRC series), Tokina (ATX series). Avoid anything else unless you're offered a Heliopan, Tiffen or Rodenstock, which I doubt the shop carries.

However, if you're not keenly informed about specific details like brand models, markings and prices, it's likely you might get ripped off further by going back to the same shop.

I threatened him with the Consumer Council and the British Embassy. I did get a refund of 137S$ but i have still ended up with rubbish lenses. I thought Germans were experts on this type of equipment. I will give it another try if I know what to ask for.

He did give me a Tokina and then when I went back to complain about the rip off he replaced the 58 with a Steinzeiser. The Tokina had no imfo on the box and I thought it was fake. What grade of Tokina CPL should I get for the 58 and 77mm as I think there are many.

Sounds like a frying pan into the fire situation.

Tokina is a consumer grade filter, sort of bottom of the rung, but the Tokina ATX-PRO series is comparable to the B+W MRC series, which is to say, top notch.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=124

Some of it is quite outdated, but it should provide a rough guide.

I threatened him with the Consumer Council and the British Embassy. I did get a refund of 137S$ but i have still ended up with rubbish lenses. I thought Germans were experts on this type of equipment. I will give it another try if I know what to ask for.

SteinZeiser is not a german brand. It's actually local.

The German brand is B+W.

If you already got your refund, then don't go back to the shop.

That's a lot more than what most other victims would have gotten.

Which store did you go to?

Thank you and I will note down the info. I paid after refund 200S$ with the copy Canon wireless remote and the Tundra National Geographic monopod (80S$) and remote he says was 35. both I think were overpriced.

In all honesty, while the principle of the transaction might have left a lot to be desired, others have gotten ripped off for much, much more and not had a single cent returned.

If your stay here is short (assuming you're a tourist), I would advise you to try put this experience down to a learning one, albeit, a fairly low cost lesson, move on and focus on enjoying the remainder of your stay.

However, if you have a lot of time on your hands ... well, hell knoweth no greater fury than that of a woman ripped-off!

I went to Manly, 24 Pagoda Street. There are three shops around Singapore. 26 Temple Street and 20 Trengganu St. Other members can avoid them.

NatGeo stuff are expensive to begin with.

Tokina CPL will do fine for all grade, if you need thin ring for wide angle lens, it will cost much more. Having said that, you are the one who ask for exchange.

SteinZeiser did marked as German optics but unfortunately the worst I have seen. That distinct purple coating is the cause of the problem.

If you are getting another one, any Hoya CPL is ok, Tokina is fine too (slightly cheaper than Hoya). Nikon, Sony thin form factor is a luxury expensive stuff but good. Never bought B+W before, no opinion.

Remember that CS price list is guide and not a norm.

It was quite funny really because I would have normally gone in screaming but I took another tactic and made him go into the back of the shop. I said I was trying to be reasonable and considerate and give him a chance and not argue in front of his customers. I said that if he did not refund me I would write to the local paper, the Embassy paper, report him to "Case" and make sure that no ex-pat or Embassy person would cross his doorstep. He still fobbed me off with rubbish but I did get some refund , as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.